kiev

Re: Troubleshooting and repair for On-board Charger (OBC), DC-DC Converter

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:07 pm

pbui19 wrote:... But from the limited reversed engineering schematic we manage to come up with so far, it seems that the trigger simply & abruptly switch off the relay, thus taxing the bypass (now heated from operation) resistors & caps.

Are you referring to the OBC or the EVSE schematic?

The trigger sends a signal to the microcontroller within the EVSE to stop the charging. It's not clear to me whether there is some sort of control within the EVSE such that it can open the main relay during the zero-voltage crossing of the AC mains to minimize arcing. It seems that the EVSE opens before any relays or contactors in the car.

The EVSE may have some power factor control to sense and monitor the state of the mains at every point in the waveform at 50 or 60 Hz, and so it could alsostop the charging in the event of a loss of mains power (such as from pulling the plug from the wall). It would make sense to do these things in order to reduce the risk of damage to the car.

but i don't have an EVSE schematic to know what it is really doing. There is an unknown processor chip and only one guy on the Leaf forum has figured out what it is and how to read and write the firmware.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

ChristopheFR

Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:51 am

Hello tout le monde,
I just acquired a charrger out of service. And so I ask myself the following question :
Can we mix the parts ?

exemple :
Repairing the bottom pcb from a charrger to connect it on the other?

Are top and bottom pcb paired?

kiev

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:23 pm

The boards are not paired, but we have not heard a report of a defect in the top board as yet.

ChristopheFR

Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:36 pm

No, what I mean: if my bottom card is too bad, can I change it by the bottom card of the second charrger?

skylogger

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:58 pm

ChristophER:

So far I have come across first of year 2010 IMIEV and Mid year / end of year 2010 IMIEV.
The first of year 2010 used a set of 3 pcbs instead of a set of 2 pcb's for the ac charging section.
It appears that from Mid 2010 up to 2012 all pcbs look same and can plug together, but the very
first 2010 pcbs were totally different and had totally different connectors.
The later versions have a flex strip cable between the two pcbs, while the early 2010 had discrete
wire conntectors between the three pcbs.

ChristopheFR

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:41 am

Hello tout le monde,
I have just finished repairing my onboard charrger
A friend changed the three big capacitors 680 μF, the relay, the capacitor 2.2 μF, the two capacitors 1000 pF and both 4.7ohm resistors.
When I plug in my onboard charrger, the car does not start charging.
Do I have to erase error codes in the odb?
With which tool? my car was born on 10/10/2011

redcane

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Bonjour Christopher,

I know if at least one case where clearing the error codes was not required, assuming the only error was from the charger. From what I've seen it seems some error codes are "self-clearing", but others aren't.

If you double check everything, and can't find any fault, reading the error codes will point you toward the problem. I've had success with the i909 by iCarsoft both reading codes and clearing them.

kiev

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:39 pm

ChristopheFR wrote:...
I have just finished repairing my onboard charrger
A friend changed the three big capacitors 680 μF, the relay, the capacitor 2.2 μF, the two capacitors 1000 pF and both 4.7ohm resistors.

Did you look at the 20A fuse in the Motor Control Unit--many times the fuse will blow when an OBC goes bad?

ChristopheFR

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:24 pm

Hello Kiev,
When the car is « READY », the 12V Aux battery voltage goes up to 14,5 V
Based on that, the 20A fuse is good, no ?

Do you think icarsoft i909 will works for my 2011 Czero?

Bjron

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:32 pm

Nice this forum is active a lot. Ill share my problems and fixings also.

I had 20a fuse blow problem in charger. But i passed charger and HV feeded just dcdc.

All worked ok before 1. Chademo charge. It stopped charge and maked DTCs so car didnt even go to Ready. On local car maintenance they checked there was like 10 DTC and reset those. And car started ok. 12v battery is new and on 12.3v on idle. I had front lights and seat heaters on for 1 hour and dcdc on but guess 12v usage was high and it didnt full charged it. Is 12.3v still ok?

I tried also there to turn off and restart car but no Ready mode... it gives now everytime Condensator DTC
P1a15, which wont allow car start. Service maganer checked repair bulletin and sayd surely most money tooked faults like Heater or AC compressor. I think fault is just 12.3v lowish 12v or dcdc Failure. It has that my Charger bypass connection but it was ok. Maybe old dcdc just died totally. 20a fuse was ok also

Chademo sayd no CAN community but i think its because no ready mode working not at all. 1. Time i heared battery cooling fan rotates. But Chademo ended in 3 sec. And no fan rotated on other tryes.

Ill going to try if car mechanist can reset DTC when i disconnect dcdc and charge 12v first. Then i drive 1km to Chademo without dcdc and try if it works. Ill take 12v 15a 230v charger to type2 on fast charge to make sure 12v will be ok on chademo. Feed 12v in cigarette socket.

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”