Future Battery Replacement - A Better Battery?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Fiat 500E uses prismatic cells from Samsung that are nearly the same size as the Yuasa, but with greater capacity (64 Ah vs 50).

There is a 94 Ah version also that could be made to work.

Yuasa: 171 x 44 x 111 mm

Samsung 94: 173 x 45 x 125 mm

on the ad for them on ebay it says they come in blocks of 5 or 6 cells welded together.. I snooped around a bit but didn't see any pics of breaking the cells out from a block..

i ordered a 6-pak of those 64 Ah Fiat 500e cells and will cut the welds out with a milling machine or a dremel tool to free up some separate cells. Then will do some testing of capacity and measure actual dimensions.

Samsung SDI looks promising. This single cell weighs 4.19 lbs.

4BFFWyK.jpg

kiev said:
Samsung SDI looks promising.

Very exciting, kiev! I have a friend with more money and ambition than time for tinkering, so he has not just one, but two totalled Fiat 500e cluttering his driveway. Lemme know if you want to tackle a full pack rebuild!
I have a spare i-MiEV battery, but it is perfectly good. I think that Ben sent away his flooded battery case along with the flooded car, the owner of which has not... surfaced on this forum.

Following this thread as I am very interested in upgrading our iMiev with a larger battery. For the time being however, we are considering making a Tesla battery pack range extender.

It will be interesting to see how those Samsung SDI cells go....

electronpusher said:
Following this thread as I am very interested in upgrading our iMiev with a larger battery. For the time being however, we are considering making a Tesla battery pack range extender.

It will be interesting to see how those Samsung SDI cells go....

Can you tell more about your extender idea? How would that tie in to the i-miev, how would it work?

Thanks

Hi,
Also interested in this topic. My Czero has about 60000 km on the counter and range seems about 10% down although some could be due to tires or my son’s driving habits.

Can’t help thinking that soon there should be an alternative solution to replace the batteries and boost our range to the 200km area.

Last post on this topic was April 2018. Any news from advanced users ?

Thanks

Toshiba has been mentioned on the site; this news post suggests 2019 timeframe: https://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2017_10/pr0301.htm

What we really need around here . . . . is for a few of our illustrious 'tech types' to put their heads together and come up with an improved battery for our early iMiEV's. All the better if it could end up as a DIY 'copycat' project for those of us less technically blessed. I don't know - Maybe stuff 20Kw or so of used Tesla cells with an appropriate BMS into the OEM battery box and work out a way for the car accept it???

There must be some way we can get a bit more range and keep driving these cars for at least another 10 years, don't you think??

How hard could it be?

Don

Thought this to be an interesting claim on products for EVs: http://www.zoxcell.com/solutions/electric-vehicles.html

Don't know if this technology has any application to the iMiev though.

Adoepner said:
https://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=5515&p=82776#p82776
Hi all,
the trials and tribulations of the 60 Ah cell replacement are continuing.
I obviously have to fix that BMS problem before I can test the pack under load. The optimist in me reckons that once the cell volt error is fixed, the charge signal error also disappears.

Back