Should I buy a 2010-2011 i-Miev here in Brazil???

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like it's working much better, nearly normal by the distance travelled and the range remaining (RR).

You should try it again--charge it up to full and see if it has 16 bars, then drive it around to under 2 bars and hook it up to charge until the EVSE is cut off by the car. This will do a calibration charge of the pack parameters for the display and may be what was causing the less-than-16-bars when full event. Then drive it around again and see how it does for range. It may take several cycles of charge/driving to get it back to full strength, but they shouldn't mind if they want to make you confident to buy it.

It would be great if you could hook up the OBDLink dongle and get cell voltage data with CanIon, or if the dealer would show it to you on the MUT3. That would be the proof of the pack, but it appears to be on it's way up.

Yes, I definitely need the OBDLink... But won't make here due.

I'll try de MUT3 and keep you guys posted!

Thank you all!

Best

kiev said:
It sounds like it's working much better, nearly normal by the distance travelled and the range remaining (RR).

You should try it again--charge it up to full and see if it has 16 bars, then drive it around to under 2 bars and hook it up to charge until the EVSE is cut off by the car. This will do a calibration charge of the pack parameters for the display and may be what was causing the less-than-16-bars when full event. Then drive it around again and see how it does for range. It may take several cycles of charge/driving to get it back to full strength, but they shouldn't mind if they want to make you confident to buy it.

It would be great if you could hook up the OBDLink dongle and get cell voltage data with CanIon, or if the dealer would show it to you on the MUT3. That would be the proof of the pack, but it appears to be on it's way up.

So...

I bought it!

Had no time to take pictures (coming soon), but the thing is in mint condition!

Loving it!

Thank you all, and looking forward being part of this amazing WW family!

You guys gave me the courage!

Best

Clemente

CGauer said:
Thank you all, and looking forward being part of this amazing WW family!
You guys gave me the courage!
Clemente
Likewise, knowing that there are many very passionate, knowledgeable, and helpful people on this forum gave me extra confidence to buy my i-Miev. Fun place.

So folks,

it turns out that it does indeed stop charging 2-3 bars before full... But unplugging and plugging it back again, it charges another 3-4 hours all the way to the end. Weird, right?!

Yesterday, before trying this full-charge event, I drove it until and past the turtle mode. I left it in Drive with the handbrake on, to let the pack drain to the bare minimum. The creeping effect did the trick in about 50 minutes with the car fully stopped.

The range of the car is still quite good, about 62miles/100km, with a lot of stop-n'-go traffic and some good hills in-between...

I'll be flying to Austin mid Jully and the OBD link is on my shopping list, as well as a eMotorWerk JuiceBox Pro 40A, to better track the charge events (sure, I'll be limited to the i-MiEV's 3,6kW)....

UPDATE:

Later today I drove to the nearest CHAdeMO, 70km away, averaging 80km/h... I arrived there with 35% left (according to the ABB charger) and ± 5 bars on the battery indicator. Pretty good! But... Instead of charging all the way from 35% to 80% as displayed, it stoped at 72%, once the estimated time was over (22min). I did restart the charger but the car stoped it at 74%... I restarted it back again, and this time it went to 80%, and so I manually stoped it. I should also mention that I did arrive there after a monstrous hill and the day was really hot, ± 100˚F! Drove all the way back home, 70km, and I still had 18km left out of the 80% charge. So it does look that it still got 100-110km range left.

BTW, coasting in N is indeed a good advice, incredible how good it glides downhills...

Kindest regards

Clemente

Some pictures!

miev

miev

miev

miev

miev

miev

miev

miev

miev

miev

miev

miev

miev

Thanks for sharing the pictures--it is beautiful and looks like a brand new car. The engine compartment with the charger and MCU is so clean like it's never been driven in rain.

Do you have navigation and rear camera on the MMCS? What about bluetooth and cell phone?

Well... It does have a MMCS, a Clarion NX700b unfortunately it is from 2010.... Navigation is utterly slow and just a piece of sh...t, if you compare to Waze.. The UI is appalling and after 5min a fan kicks in ruining the pleasant i-MiEV silence... It does feature a reverse camera input and Bluetooth too... But they didn't bother installing the camera, and the bluetooth doesn't work for music playback. There are indeed a couple software updates due, but I'm considering ditching it in favor of a CarPlay one !

BTW, that vacuum pump is rather noisy too.... Why Mitsubishi, why!!?!?!?

Best

kiev said:
Do you have navigation and rear camera on the MMCS? What about bluetooth and cell phone?

Noisy vacuum pump? Not unless they changed the design after 2010 or something is wrong. Our pump is just a soft whine, not the rattling contraption that a Chevy Volt came with.

Yeah, I can clearly listen to it while starting the car and also while parking. Every single time I hit the brakes I remember that vacuum is being produced.. More from outside with the windows open...

Watching some YouTube videos, sounds normal, but that is pretty much the only noise the car produces... So close being totally silent... They clearly placed it at the back because of its rather annoying nature, the tubing also makes the role of a vacuum reservoir...

Kind of lame / ICEish having to rely on vacuum to servo assist the brakes, but hey, early days. The same applies to the lead acid 12V battery, still on Tesla's... Yep, there is the high voltage conundrum/danger leaving it hot 24/7 or self-discharging the pack in case a DC-DC converter is used full-time... But there must be a way.. Perhaps a tiny lithium battery, or super-capacitors... Lead batteries are too much of a burden, directly impacting the reliability of the car and also a huge environment footprint if you compare to lithium... IMHO...

nitpicking.... :D

Best

jray3 said:
Noisy vacuum pump? Not unless they changed the design after 2010 or something is wrong. Our pump is just a soft whine, not the rattling contraption that a Chevy Volt came with.

Best of luck with your car. Didn't know you had Chademo chargers in São Paulo, but that's probably because I use electromaps. What's the best site to find charging stations in Brazil? Plugshare?

Hey!

Yes we do! Three of them. Two between the city of São Paulo and Campinas and one at the university of São Paulo, broken, but I'll try to fix it.

PlugShare indeed! Works best for us.

Where are you? Portugal? As you probably noticed, my car is one of three i-MiEVs in Brazil... Scary!

Best

Clemente

rnlcarlov said:
Best of luck with your car. Didn't know you had Chademo chargers in São Paulo, but that's probably because I use electromaps. What's the best site to find charging stations in Brazil? Plugshare?

CGauer said:
Hey!

Yes we do! Three of them. Two between the city of São Paulo and Campinas and one at the university of São Paulo, broken, but I'll try to fix it.

Where are you? Portugal? As you probably noticed, my car is one of three i-MiEVs in Brazil... Scary!

Best

Clemente

Yes, I'm in Portugal.
Just three imievs in Brazil? Surely there must be some more you don't know about.
In this 2012 article, it mentions at least seven were brought in to the country
https://caranddriverbrasil.com.br/e...inserir-eletrico-i-miev-no-mercado-brasileiro

Indeed, 7 came, but 4 went back to Japan.

I do know the owner of a 2012 North America Speck (bulky bumper).

Best

rnlcarlov said:
CGauer said:
Hey!

Best

Clemente

Yes, I'm in Portugal.
Just three imievs in Brazil? Surely there must be some more you don't know about.
In this 2012 article, it mentions at least seven were brought in to the country
https://caranddriverbrasil.com.br/e...inserir-eletrico-i-miev-no-mercado-brasileiro

Folks,
I just came back from US and brought a nice JuiceBox Pro 40A... I must say that the original 240V 50Hz EVSE had some issues... Not only it never charged close to the stated 16A but it also sometimes interrupted the charging process well before the the battery was full. had to unplug and replug to hit 100%.

The juice box though is amazing. Before someone spots it, I'll protect the 240V socket against rain/water ingress ;)...

The charging cable is just absurd, massive!
JuiceBox01.jpg

JuiceBox02.jpg

JuiceBox03.jpg

JuiceBox04.jpg

JuiceBox05.jpg

The interface is pretty neat!
JuiceBox06.PNG

JuiceBox07.PNG

JuiceBox08.PNG

Yes, it draws a nice graph! And you can see the by-desing pause the car does...
JuiceBox09.PNG

And a first ever 109km of range, all on the regular stop n' go of São Paulo
JuiceBox10.jpg

All the best!

CGauer said:
Folks,
I just came back from US and brought a nice JuiceBox Pro 40A... I must say that the original 240V 50Hz EVSE had some issues... Not only it never charged close to the stated 16A
How much did it charge? Of course it won't charge 16A. The car accepts only 13-14Amps, not more.

Had no chance to do a full charge from empty yet.

I had still 8 bars left when I started, still it pumped 6.8kW.

The original EVSE had issues or simply was derated. It never went beyond 5-8A...

Best

rnlcarlov said:
CGauer said:
Folks,
I just came back from US and brought a nice JuiceBox Pro 40A... I must say that the original 240V 50Hz EVSE had some issues... Not only it never charged close to the stated 16A
How much did it charge? Of course it won't charge 16A. The car accepts only 13-14Amps, not more.

Back