Help with scanned error codes

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timh

Hi all

I have a salvaged i-miev wreck that I am trying to diagnose. Can anyone shed some light on the following error codes?

U1113
P0705
U1116
U1111

Do you require any further information?

Thanks in advance.

Howdy Tim and welcome to the forum,

What year is your salvage car and where are you located? Are you going to try to fix it to drive or part it out?

The "U" codes usually result from some sort of CAN buss communications errors--some box or sensor is not responding properly.

These are CAN buss time-out errors (no response during an expected time or message), i can't determine the specific box to which they refer.
U1113
U1116
U1111

The P codes are more system specific. For the gear shift there are 2 shift position sensors aka switches,
P0705 -

If all the shift position switch (shift position) and shift position switch (inhibitor) for the P-position to B-position [P,R,N,D,E,B us or P,R,N,D,B,C euro] are kept to OFF for 3 seconds or longer, the diagnosis code No. P0705 will be set.

Likely causes:
Damaged wiring harness or connector(s)
Improper installation of the shift control cable
Improper installation adjustment of the shift position switch
Malfunction of the shift position switch
Malfunction of the EV-ECU

Hi kiev and thanks for your welcome and prompt response.

I'm in Australia and the car is a 2011 model, with 80,000km on the odometer and was involved in a rear end smash, which then also caused damage to the front. One of the rear CV joints was broken open but i've put it back in so that the rear wheels can rotate together.

I'm hoping to part out the car and utilise the electric drivetrain, battery pack, air con etc in another car (classic car conversion).

I have it on blocks at the moment, and was hoping to get it running or at least see what parts are working before stripping it.

Well if a CV joint was pulled out of the gearbox, then i guess that sort of impact and force could affect the wiring or the shift position sensors which are bolted to the side of the gearbox. And that may be the source of the P0705 DTC.

The CAN buss connection to the charger/dc-dc converter enters from the rear of the car, so a rear end collision likely affected that wiring also and giving the U codes.

Try disconnecting CAN connectors on various suspect boxes to see if codes change, then reconnect and see if they clear.

Did airbags deploy?

No, surprisingly the airbags didn't deploy.

I'm not sure how to upload pictures to this forum but have some of the back damage.

I couldn't see any damage to the motor casing or connections, but will have to have a closer look.

I don't have the scanner at the moment so can't do those tests.

Thanks for your help!

A good way to post photos here is to signup to a free hosting site such as imgur.com, then upload to there and use the pull down menu to get the share links for each picture, copy the BBC (forums) link, then paste it into your message where you want it to show up. The BBC links re-formats your picture to fit within the width of our forum message window.

For example here is the charger/converter box in the rear engine compartment. The yellow circled area shows the entry for CAN buss harness (gray jacket) underneath an orange AC input cable. How far in did the rear get hit--did it push sheet metal into those wires?

WfcJf85.jpg

Thanks for the tips.
That connection appears to be sound.
Here's some pics of that area and of the rear damage.

9cdeUL6.jpg

1tVtNMF.jpg

w4B80Av.jpg

This is after we took the wheel off and reinserted the drive shaft into the CV joint and the motor.

8jF6HW8.jpg

It looks like the charger CAN harness is okay, not much crush damage to the chassis back there. So it must be some other box(es) that are reporting CAN issues and U codes.

The shift sensor appears mounted to the left side of the jenner aka gearbox in the first picture with all the green tinted parts (corrosion inhibitor coating?), but was it unbolted for the CV and shaft re-install in the last picture?

Here's a wiring diagram of the EV-ECU to the shift position sensors and other items.

vAHDM1Q.png

If you mean the black connection to the gearbox as shown in the below picture, then no we didn't touch that. Is that the shift sensor you're talking about?

The grease is just from when the CV joint was busted open.

5P9HcVW.jpg

Guys,

Isn’t there an inertial switch within the battery pack, that disables the high voltage circuit in case of an accident? I don’t know if it resets automatically...

Mit engineers mention it during the Euro Encap crashtest video (Youtube).

Best

yes that's the shift position switches (sensors). Maybe disconnect and re-insert the connectors

Does the dash show which gear you have selected? Can you turn the key and cycle thru the gears and see the correct gear on the dash?

Maybe during crash impact something got tweaked-- the sensors, cable and control links, parking lever inside gearbox, etc.

No the gear indicator isn't showing on the dash at all. We will try and play around with the wiring and connections on the weekend.

Well I removed the shift position switch, and it appears to be pretty damaged. See below pics before and after dismantling. I assume this part will be either expensive or impossible to replace without ordering from Japan, so I might just start stripping the car without knowing if the motor etc will run.

DQxhOqu.jpg

wzdXeac.jpg

i've had to replace one on a suzuki and found it low cost on ebay. It is also known as a neutral safety switch.

Item 23048 shows up as P/N 8604A029 on the fiche, but i couldn't find a price.

122_130F00122T.gif

And the same sensor may be used on other Mitsubishi models. Here is close example with metal case instead of plastic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-MR263257-8604A015-Neutral-Safety-Switch-For-Mitsubishi-Pajero-Montero-Sport/262735055556?fits=Make%3AMitsubishi&hash=item3d2c3acac4:g:CfYAAOSwMmBVrcGk

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=neutral+safety+switch&searchType=global&shopId=1&N=0&addfitment=1

Thanks for that Kiev, I will look into those links and think about whether it is worthwhile pursuing.

We repaired the sensor switch, and now it's back on and the correct gear is shown on the dash when moving through the gears. Unfortunately I still can't get it to run as some other error is preventing operation. There is a constant alert sound that starts a little while after turning the ignition and doesn't stop until turning off. By the way the back wheel is still off and the car is on stands at the back.

Repaired switch:
A4irLtL.jpg

Dash errors now, the EPS and airbag lights go out after a while:
i5WayLR.jpg

Back