Gas Cans --> Electric Mowers

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently picked up a small battery-powered CraigsList bargain mower with a new 24v lead-acid pack (the owner, like many here in California, got rid of his lawn). Cutting my weed patch is now so nice - I didn't realize how sensitive I have now become to exhaust fumes. :mrgreen:

We just bought a 19" Kobalt mower with a 5 Ah 40 volt battery to use as a trimmer mower around the yard. With more than an acre to mow, sometimes every single week (with sun everyday and rain once or twice a week, everything grows FAST) it would never do for the majority of the yard, but it's nice not to have to deal with a rope started mower struggling to run on ethanol gas. Our 40 volt weedeater has sure been worth every dime we paid for it 5 years ago

Don

Don said:
We just bought a 19" Kobalt mower with a 5 Ah 40 volt battery to use as a trimmer mower around the yard. With more than an acre to mow, sometimes every single week (with sun everyday and rain once or twice a week, everything grows FAST) it would never do for the majority of the yard, but it's nice not to have to deal with a rope started mower struggling to run on ethanol gas. Our 40 volt weedeater has sure been worth every dime we paid for it 5 years ago

Don
I also picked up a battery mower with a 5 Ah 40 volt battery this weekend. It's a 20" Ryobi but it's probably very similar to your Kobalt. I also have a 40 volt weedeater I've had for a year or two so I already had a spare battery and could go mowing as soon as I got home. Mine was a return and was 30% off and had a little grass in the grass catcher but still looked new. I can't imagine why anyone would return it except that it does have a micro processor speed controller that runs the motor very slowly and automatically speeds up when you hit thicker grass. Maybe the last owner thought the mower was running too weak?

My last mower (that I still have) is a Black and Decker corded mower that I've had for nearly 20 years. It's been pretty bullet proof. I even got to fooling around and hooked it up to four lithium polymer battery packs with no real modification to the mower. It worked great and I even did a write up here somewhere but I went back to the cord and I'm happy to say it still works.

Coincidences, coincidences!

Our 40 volt weedeater is a Ryobi that we bought from Home Depot 4 or 5 years ago - It's been great. The weedeater battery is only 2 Ah though, so I thought it probably wouldn't be good in the mower

2 or 3 days AFTER we bought the Kobalt mower, we saw one that had been returned sitting outside and at a considerable savings - About $75 off. It too looked like new and had probably only been used one time. My brother bought one 3 or 4 years ago with the intention of mowing his lawn with it and he too returned it after only one use because it obviously didn't have enough power to mow a lawn of any size which actually needed mowing - I suppose if you mowed every 2 or 3 days, it would have worked, but down here where things grow half an inch or more every day, we tend to only mow when it really needs it . . . . or we'd be doing nothing else with our time off

For what we bought it for (trimming around our 40 or so trees and flowerbeds) I think it's a keeper. To actually mow the yard, it would need to have a couple of our 50 Ah lithium batteries

Don

Don said:
Coincidences, coincidences!

Our 40 volt weedeater is a Ryobi that we bought from Home Depot 4 or 5 years ago - It's been great. The weedeater battery is only 2 Ah though, so I thought it probably wouldn't be good in the mower
Don

Yes coincidenes!

My weedeater battery is a 2.6 Ah and did very well. I probably mowed for 20 to 25 minutes on a recently cut lawn.

I'm charging the 5.0 battery now. That should cut everything I need.

Back