DBMandrake

Re: Canion

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:58 am

The OBDLink LX is the only bluetooth device that has ever been paired to the tablet, and it has not been paired to any other devices. I haven't tried turning off Wifi however.

I'm pretty sure the issue is with the adaptor firmware itself - if I only plug the adaptor into the car just before I'm about to use it, it keeps working for an entire 45 minute driving session, provided I don't turn the car off.

(If I do, the reconnection attempts that Canion does eventually leads to the adaptor losing its bluetooth pairing - which I'm also sure is a bug in the adaptors firmware)

However if I leave the adaptor plugged in all the time and then just try to connect the tablet before I drive the car, I sometimes have to go through a re-pairing process and even when that is done, it starts acting up within a few minutes of use and certainly within 20 minutes. In this case the bluetooth part of the adaptor is still working but the STN11xx chip is no longer sending monitor mode data or responding to AT commands. Again I think this is an issue with the adaptor firmware.

We'll see how my thread in the scantool forum goes - at the moment they're putting it back on the Canion devs but the testing I've done so far seems to suggest that Canion is not at fault, with the possible exception of not reliably exiting monitor mode before the app is closed. (It seems sometimes it does, sometimes it does not, maybe a timing issue between sending commands and closing the serial connection)

But the issues with pairing being lost (which is handled by the Android OS not the app) and the adaptor freezing up and becoming unresponsive to even the button must surely be the adaptors fault.
- Simon

EV: 2011 Peugeot Ion
ICE: 1997 Citroen Xantia V6

JoeS
Site Moderator

Tue May 01, 2018 7:14 am

Over on the Charging Interruption thread, DBMandrake proposed what I thought was a great possible additional feature for CaniOn - that of monitoring the individual cell balancers.
DBMandrake wrote:Display of the status of the cell balancers in Canion would be a great feature if it could be added - the way I would visualise it would be to change the colour of the voltage bar of a cell whose balancer is currently turned on to something other than blue. Then you could see the relative voltages and the action of all the balancers at a glance in a very intuitive fashion... :)

Putting this on the table for consideration by our CaniOn developers. :geek:
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Zelenec

Re: solved: caniOn: Sponsor search program

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:03 am

Martin, would you look into changes made with I-Miev 2015+, causing Canion not presenting bat temp and voltage? If needed, I can drive my car to you or do whatever needed following your instructions.
Tired of smelly garage - switched to EV in 2012!
Zelenec = Greeny, Treehugger, Ecofan
www.mojev.si

JoeS
Site Moderator

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:03 am

Zelenec, as you can see I moved your post over to this Canion thread, to separate it from the specific topic of the search for a Canion sponsor.

TobyGadd, I screwed something up as I tried to move your two posts (regarding functionality with the 2016 i-MiEV) over here as well. I'm still trying to find them, but perhaps you might re-post your request here? :oops: (also sent PM)

Martin/Xavier, thank you so much for continuing to support CaniOn. I do have a request: is it possible to monitor the coolant temperature? As you might have noted, we are having thermal concerns with the charger/dc-dc.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)

ChrisEV

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:43 pm

My Canion just goes black after a while and the BT just disconnected.

I'm thinking I might have an old firmware on my OBD LX but how do you upgrade the firmware? The Android app connects but since (I'm guessing) the imiev isn't OBD compliant it fails.

Most of the time it just lights up a bunch of warnings lights on the dash and I have to turn the car off and on and remove the LX to clear them.
2012 i-MIEV SE Premium

DBMandrake

Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:14 am

ChrisEV wrote:My Canion just goes black after a while and the BT just disconnected.

Is this only since the 143 update that came out recently ? I haven't had this happen, either on the older one or the newer one.
I'm thinking I might have an old firmware on my OBD LX but how do you upgrade the firmware? The Android app connects but since (I'm guessing) the imiev isn't OBD compliant it fails.

Most of the time it just lights up a bunch of warnings lights on the dash and I have to turn the car off and on and remove the LX to clear them.

There is a trick to updating the firmware on an OBDLink LX on an i-Miev. Instead of choosing connect, go into Settings->Firmware Updates, then in the top right of the screen press the triple dot icon (sorry, not really an Android user to know what that icon is called!) and choose Firmware Recovery.

It should now scan your adaptor to find what model it is and then download and install the firmware.

The versions available are 3.4.1, 4.0.0 and 4.3.0. If your adaptor has never been updated before the current reported firmware will probably say 0.0.0! (I've reported this bug to OBDLINK support)

By the way, I've run all three firmware versions on mine whilst troubleshooting intermittent disconnection issues, and they all work to some degree, and I have never seen the screen go black - so that is more likely a problem with your android device. Is the app crashing ? Or is the device going into screen lock mode perhaps ?

Another thing is that older versions of the OBDLink LX adaptor have a bug in the bluetooth module firmware (separate to the STNxx firmware, which is the one you upgrade when you do a firmware upgrade) which can cause bluetooth pairing to be frequently lost - especially if Canion is left running while the car is turned off.

This is not a Canion bug but a bluetooth firmware bug in the adaptor - OBDLink support have sent me another adaptor with a later manufacturing date which reportedly has an updated bluetooth firmware and sure enough - the problem I was having with frequent loss of bluetooth pairing and having to repair the device all the time is solved.

It's not clear whether all new adaptors sold from today have this updated firmware (and if so when the cutover date was) or whether they sent me a special adaptor with a test version of bluetooth firmware.

Finally in case nobody has picked it up yet - one of the changes in Canion 143 is that the instantaneous miles/kWh figure on the left hand side was grossly in error before - under reporting the figure by nearly a factor of two. I reported this to the Canion devs and got an email back saying it would be fixed in the next version and I can confirm 143 fixes this bug.
Last edited by DBMandrake on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Simon

EV: 2011 Peugeot Ion
ICE: 1997 Citroen Xantia V6

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:37 am

Simon (DBMandrake), thank you very much for this in-depth update. Appreciate your going back to the originators of both OBDLink and CaniOn and providing them the feedback - and their respective responsiveness.

ChrisEV

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:06 pm

DBMandrake wrote:
ChrisEV wrote:My Canion just goes black after a while and the BT just disconnected.

Is this only since the 143 update that came out recently ? I haven't had this happen, either on the older one or the newer one.

There is a trick to updating the firmware on an OBDLink LX on an i-Miev. Instead of choosing connect, go into Settings->Firmware Updates, then in the top right of the screen press the triple dot icon (sorry, not really an Android user to know what that icon is called!) and choose Firmware Recovery.

It should now scan your adaptor to find what model it is and then download and install the firmware.

The versions available are 3.4.1, 4.0.0 and 4.3.0. If your adaptor has never been updated before the current reported firmware will probably say 0.0.0! (I've reported this bug to OBDLINK support)

By the way, I've run all three firmware versions on mine whilst troubleshooting intermittent disconnection issues, and they all work to some degree, and I have never seen the screen go black - so that is more likely a problem with your android device. Is the app crashing ? Or is the device going into screen lock mode perhaps ?

Another thing is that older versions of the OBDLink LX adaptor have a bug in the bluetooth module firmware (separate to the STNxx firmware, which is the one you upgrade when you do a firmware upgrade) which can cause bluetooth pairing to be frequently lost - especially if Canion is left running while the car is turned off.

This is not a Canion bug but a bluetooth firmware bug in the adaptor - OBDLink support have sent me another adaptor with a later manufacturing date which reportedly has an updated bluetooth firmware and sure enough - the problem I was having with frequent loss of bluetooth pairing and having to repair the device all the time is solved.

It's not clear whether all new adaptors sold from today have this updated firmware (and if so when the cutover date was) or whether they sent me a special adaptor with a test version of bluetooth firmware.

Finally in case nobody has picked it up yet - one of the changes in Canion 143 is that the instantaneous miles/kWh figure on the left hand side was grossly in error before - under reporting the figure by nearly a factor of two. I reported this to the Canion devs and got an email back saying it would be fixed in the next version and I can confirm 143 fixes this bug.

Thank you!!! I followed your steps and managed to flash the LX. I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

I usually used Canion141 on my old Galaxy Tab4 and BT would frequently drop out and Canion would report connection lost. I'll have to test 143 and the new firmware.
I got a new phone running 8.0 and 143 just crashes to a black screen upon startup but I might not have given it storage permissions. It's been so long since I used a droid extensively.
OBDZero works but frequently gets errors upon initialization. I can get it to work by resetting it and/or re-pairing.
My Droid 8.0 phone never loses pairing from the LX though. I paired it once and never once had to re-pair. My Galaxy Tab4 drops all the time. I assumed it was a problem with the tablet not the LX. But this was with the old firmware.
2012 i-MIEV SE Premium

ChrisEV

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:20 am

DBMandrake wrote:Is this only since the 143 update that came out recently ? I haven't had this happen, either on the older one or the newer one.

I had a chance to test on 143 a bit and it still happens. Admittedly noticeably less.

What happens is Canion seems to lose the BT connection. The app is running but the screen is black. Can't interact with it or bring the menu up. If I close the app and restart it it will start up again and reconnect. Sometimes I need to do this several times. Happens within 10 minutes.

I don't get repeated pairing requests like I used to. Only happened once this weekend where my phone started beeping every 10 seconds with a pairing request from the LX.

I'll have to try my old Samsung Tablet. My LG G7 is way better hardware so I figured this would be best. Canion is very smooth and readable.

Problem seems to be the LX.
2012 i-MIEV SE Premium

blackheart

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:50 am

I believe I am running 143. I have a MOTO X Pure for a phone and an old Samsung Tab 3 7". The old Samsung tab runs canion much much better than the newer MOTO phone. And when I have drops and difficulty connecting, I know it is an issue between my LX and my tab, most likely the LX.
I need to try and upgrade the firmware - but I am almost afraid to. I can run for weeks and have no issues. Then, when I do have issues, I need to make sure that I have cleaned the cache out on my tab - that usually helps get the connection going. That 'cleaning the cache' is what makes me think that it also has something to do with the tab. But loosing the ability to connect with the LX has happened on pretty much every device I have tried.
'Is treading water actually swimming - or just prolonged drowning"

-2012 MItsubishi I-Miev - BlackJack
-1989 GMC Sierra 4x4
-2015 RadRover Emonster bike

EVSEupgrade

Return to “Instruments - Radio/USB/Nav - CAN - Climate Controls - Remote”