Failed traction battery. How many weeks does Mitsubishi make you wait?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long did it take?

i took the car in on dec 11, 2017, got it back with a new pack on jan 24, 2018--so about 6-1/2 weeks, plus there were holidays that may have added a few days.

I’m gonna watch this thread being in Canada myself.

I’m reluctant to install a gas heater or do any other modifications to my MIEV if I have to do a giant circle jerk with Mitsubishi for any warranty repairs.

ChrisEV said:
I’m gonna watch this thread being in Canada myself.

I’m reluctant to install a gas heater or do any other modifications to my MIEV if I have to do a giant circle jerk with Mitsubishi for any warranty repairs.

You could try this for a heater instead as there are no major changes to the vehicle: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2819&hilit=diesel+heater&start=60#p31048

I'm going to pickup the car today... I will post more later guys... they changed the battery under warranty! ....as they should have... several weeks ago!!!....this all started when I brought my car in on Dec. 4 2017...they called me yesterday afternoon that my car is ready...Feb. 23 2018!!!!That's all I know so far. What's that?....almost 11 weeks!!!

I just got back from the dealership. I got in the car and it wouldn't start. It was beeping and had the yellow car with horn symbol (AVAS Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System ). And then the whole dash lit up like a Christmas tree!!! The electric car mechanic was off because it's a Saturday his day off so I had to leave it until someone can take a look at it. The story isn't over!!!

i wonder if they charged the 12V aux battery? it would surely have drained over 11 weeks.

They would have charged the new main pack and that would attempt to charge the aux also. But if the aux is old or weak then it wouldn't charge and that could explain why it wouldn't go to READY.

obrother, good news that Mitsubishi is honoring your warranty! I'm interested in knowing the steps you finally went through. Tend to agree with kiev that the 12v battery is the first thing to check. Look at it this way, after all is said and done, you now have an electric car with a brand-new battery. When you get your i-MiEV home, do measure the battery capacity and let us know what it is - you might record that number and then check again after you've done a full recharge from below two bars, as the system will probably recalibrate.

They claimed the 'aftermarket diesel heater harness' corroded the battery terminals and that's what killed the battery. Complete b.s.!!! The terminals were corroding before I installed the heater. They replaced it at a cost to me of $328 CDN and they cut the connectors off for the diesel heater to the battery. Why did I not get them to pay for it? They should have... 12 weeks they had the car... at the fault of both Mitsubishi and the dealer. I only paid for the battery so that if something else goes wrong I can throw it back at them. I only changed the battery 1 year and 4 months ago. I cleaned the inside of the terminals at that time but not the outside. Anyway the car was dead when I tried to pick it up on Saturday... Monday passed and they did nothing... it took them until today... Tuesday to look at it.
They actually sent 2 engineers from Japan to check the car out themselves to find out if the battery should be replaced under warranty. The cost of the replacement from what I was told was over $17,000 CDN. That's more than double what the car is worth. They could have offer me less than half that and I would have gladly taken it. Everyone seems to think I should feel lucky or grateful but after all this time and cost and driving around to rent and return rental vehicles at my cost with not even an offer of assistance or sympathy from the dealer or the manufacturer will leave a bad taste forever towards the dealer, Mitsubishi and electric powered vehicles hybrid or full electric. It was an expensive lesson buying this car and it at least saved me from having the urge to dish out large money on something like a Bolt or other long range electric.
On the way home I had the windows down it was a nice day...I could smell a electrical burning wire smell... so who knows if its all over. Hopefully it was the car next to me. But at least the car is home.

So how many weeks does Mitsubishi make you wait? to answer my original question.... 6 days shy of 3 months!!!

Back