Range and Charging Observations and Questions

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to see all the newby questions and good coaching in this thread! Nope, 12 amp charging (or any AC charging session) will not automatically stop prior to 100% like a DC fast charge, unless you program a limited duration session with your remote. I have a super-versatile EVSE that will charge on either 120V or 240V at 12, 16, 24 or 32 amps, and unless I'm travelling and using lesser circuits, I always charge to 100% and leave it set for 32 amps max so that visiting EV friends can charge faster. Our i-MiEV won't pull more than 16 amps regardless of the circuit capacity.

I'll second the route less travelled. I make a round trip every Saturday morning that would be 59.8 miles with a lot of interstate highway on the "Shortest Time" default setting for most routing software, but can be accomplished in 48.4 miles on surface streets that are predicted to take only 12 minutes longer but are much more reliable time-wise, compared to the construction delays and soul-sapping highway traffic jams that often pop up during weekends. I consume significantly less energy on the shorter, slower street route.

bradleydavidgood777 said:
So last night I charged 12A. I don't know what I started with but I thought I was around 3/4 at the start yesterday afternoon when I plugged it in and got the 12A working. When I got in this morning, I only saw 55 miles showing. Which is what I typically see after charging at work with level 2.

This is different than when I would charge 8A - usually I would see 64 or 63 or 60. But maybe not always. Of course as soon as I start driving and turn stuff on it drops. I am just talking about what it reads when first started and nothing on.

Makes me wonder if the 8A can go higher. I have also seen 80 miles show briefly after 8A charging.

I understand that DC fast charging only does 80%, and I read that if you plug it back in you can top it off.

Just wondering if 12A stops short of the top for the same reasons and 8A goes longer.

Just making observations here and posting them.
You're assuming the number on your RR gauge has something to do with the way you charged . . . . but it doesn't

As Joe mentioned, the number you see on your RR gauge is computed using the energy you used to drive the last 15 miles. When you fully recharge, that number can be anything from 40 or 50 up to 90 or more. In both cases, the battery is 100% full, no matter how many amps you used to charge it

The numbers are different because of what happened in the 15 miles just before you parked it in your garage - If you drove those miles slowly, conserving energy, the computer predicts that if you drive that same way on this full 'tank' you can maybe go 80 miles. If you used lots of energy during those miles, the computer assumes you're going to be driving that same way again, so now it thinks you can only go 50 miles on your full 'tank'

How you recharge has nothing to do with the number you will see on the RR gauge

Don

After weeks of single digit frigidness, this morning was a bit warmer which was really nice.

I pre-defrosted for 20-25 minutes or so and had the temp dial all the way up, and the fan maybe 3/4, for most of the drive. I really watched the feathering of the pedal, keeping the power to the left side very well, and stayed in the right lanes and kept it between 55-60mph and found a truck to get behind for a while. Although I really don't like following trucks because I can't see traffic ahead.

I paid less attention to the range remaining in miles, and more attention to the bars.

Upon parking, I still had 9 bars left (1 above half), which I thought was really good. I have realized now that all of the other times I was seeing low remaining miles, it was based upon the past 15 miles. And in the past, I most likely had the temp all the way up and fan all the way up, at least in the beginning of the drive for a while. So I am sure that contributed to showing me way less miles remaining than would actually happen because I would turn down these juice suckers later in the drive. So I felt much better about the range and no real anxiety left I would say.

Just adding this info for the thread, as I think it would help new owners in the future. I have learned so much from this.

Sounds like you're learning to drive the car ;) - It took all of us some time when we got our first EV

We have a saying around here that "The range is whatever you need it to be" which means the driver can control how far the car will go by turning off the climate controls if necessary, and slowing down if necessary, and learning to 'feather foot' by driving like you have an egg on the pedal while keeping the amp meter as far to the left as possible when necessary - You could go 90 miles if you had to . . . . but you wouldn't get there very fast :lol:

You can accelerate from zero to 60 using lots of juice, quite a bit less juice or very little juice, depending on how you go about it. It may take you half a minute and nearly a mile to get up to 60, but you will use way less than the way you're used to doing it in your last car

As a bonus, when you get into an ICE next time, you may find you're getting the best mileage from it you've ever seen

Don

Back