TPMS on i-MiEVs

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting ready to (finally) mount my BMW Mini 15 X 5.5 wheels on one of our cars and while searching for TPMS sensors to put in the new wheels I ran across this Mitsu TSB which covers our cars

https://www.schradersensors.com/sites/default/files/2017-07/Mitsubishi_tsb1231001_0.pdf

Lots of useful information in there for anyone searching for facts on the subject

As you can see from the following list, just about every other manufacturer provides for some way for an owner or any knowledgeable technician with an inexpensive tool to sync new sensors to the car . . . . but not Mitsu!

http://jameshalderman.com/images/tpms_procedures.pdf

Don

From what I have read . . . . take that for what it's worth . . . . you can reset the car to a new, second set of sensors with this tool which plugs in to the OBD port - https://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-QuickSet-TPMS-Reset-Tool/dp/B008SCWXN4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1514838503&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=ateq+quickset+tpms+reset+tool&psc=1 . . . . but, you also have to use this tool on each individual tire to trigger each sensor so the car can learn the new code - https://www.amazon.com/Autel-TS401-Activation-MX-sensor-Programming/dp/B00AERMVYC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1514838792&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=autel+ts401&psc=1

Good news is the Quick Set tool stores the information for two sets of sensors, so you don't have to go through the reprogramming function every time you change tires

They claim this procedure works *even on Mitsus* and some Amazon reviews seem to back that up

A bit on the expensive side, but for those of you who drive on snow tires part of the year and then regular tires the rest of the year, it would be much cheaper than paying a Mitsu dealer $100 every time you change tires - Not to mention the hassle of having to drive 40 or 60 miles to and from the dealer

Damn shame Mitsu didn't make this a much easier procedure, but I think they were trying to keep their fledgling dealerships afloat by requiring everyone to take their cars there twice per year for 'service'

Don

Don, thanks for the links and discussion. Glad I don't have to deal with the biannual (=semiannual) ritual of snow tires.

Of note:

- Expected battery life is between five and ten years, depending on the sensor.
- The battery is sealed inside the sensor and not serviceable.
- DTCs C1910, C1920, C1930, & C1940 indicate low sensor battery voltage in individual tires.

JoeS said:
Of note:

- Expected battery life is between five and ten years, depending on the sensor.
- The battery is sealed inside the sensor and not serviceable.
- DTCs C1910, C1920, C1930, & C1940 indicate low sensor battery voltage in individual tires.
Yes, that means we're all going to be dealing with this in the not so distant future. New sensors (pre-programmed specifically for an iMiEV) are $99 for a set of 4 on eBay - About half the dealer's price

Incidentally, the scan tool reads all sorts of info from the sensor, including those codes. Also, you can use the tool to adjust your tire pressure to 1/4 pound of any number you want. I had no idea they were capable of reading pressures to 1/4 pound!

Don

Well, after installing my new Continentals on my new BMW Mini wheels I can report that the TPMS 'issue' - so far as an iMiEV is concerned - is far from settled

I bought a set of 4 new sensors from Amazon advertised as being specifically programmed for the iMiEV and had them installed when they mounted my new tires. What followed was two months of calls and emails trying to get that warning light on the dash extinguished. The shop that installed the tires had an $1800 TPMS tool which has always worked on every single make and model they've tried it on and after 3 return trips to the shop, it became evident that it wasn't going to work on my car - Thankfully, they didn't charge me anything for all the trouble.

I went through 4 or 5 different 'techs' at the California company that sells the sensors and got nowhere. Eventually, in frustration, I asked for a refund and was transferred to someone I hadn't spoken to yet . . . . and I though i had talked to them all

"What can I do for you?" - Well, I bought your product specifically programmed to work with my car and I'd really like for it to do that. Since the sensors are already mounted in the wheels, I'd much rather have them working than get my money back. I 'thought' you might refer me to someone in my local area who can do that, but after 6 or 8 phone calls and several emails, nobody has offered to do that

He called around to my local tire stores, looking for one which had a specific brand of TPMS learning tool which he claimed was the only one that would work and when he found one, he sent me there. They worked for nearly an hour with that specified tool, to no avail. Finally, in desperation, they tried some other tool that they had previously used on only one other car . . . . and it worked!

No idea which tool was used, but after trips to three different stores, I can attest to the fact that none of the 'usual' TPMS tools which work on 95% of all other makes and models will work on this car.

I have no doubt that if you took it to a Mitsu dealer and they hooked it to a MUT III, you could get your new sensors programmed in 5 minutes . . . . probably for a $75 fee - 1/2 hour minimum. Which at this point, might be the lesser of all evils. Unfortunately, I don't have a Mitsu dealer closer than 100 miles

So - If you're getting new sensors, hopefully you have a Mitsu dealer close by

Don

3 pages of forum discussion on where/who you have to pay for TPMS coding.
Can TPMS and its yellow/orange light be fully disabled with MUT3 on Mitsubishi and/or Diagbox on Peugeot/Citroen cars? Any other technical experiences what TPMS-configurations could be changed with CAN-Bus? Does CAN-Bus logfiles ready for download exist that include some TPMS-communicantion data?
I am not interested in any information who i should pay to do that for me.

Back