Want one, but cautious. Opinions please.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not limit my searches to *only* 2014 models. You will still occasionally run across very low mileage 2012's out there (10,000 miles or so) and buying one of those for $5K to $6K would be a very safe investment for a first EV I think - The car has been around for 5 years, has very few miles, still has 5 years (and 80 or 90K) of battery warranty left and if you drive it to work and back for the next 5 years it will easily pay for itself . . . . and by then (believe me) you'll be looking at a used Chevy Bolt or something else with a bit more range

Paint one Red! - I think it would look great that color. You'll have the only one in Texas for sure . . . . probably the only one in the USA!

Don

I actually saw one, though a 2012, in red for sale in Scotsdale AZ for sale online a couple weeks ago. 11k miles, no accidents, in red, $6200. Cant find it now. May have been a custom job ?

i wouldnt mind a 2012 model, but Chademo wasnt standard until 2014 model, and it is a must. I can convince the lady to plug in for 20 minutes if she has too and get a cup of coffee or something, but if shes hanging around for two hours, shes gonna start shoe shopping. I can afford the car, but womans shoes are gonna put me in the poor house...

I do like the Smart ED, and sat in one (though not the ED version) and really liked the feel, but my personal feeling is the Imiev absolutely got screwed by people. Mitsubishi didnt market it for squat, and people seem overjoyed to bash it like a redheaded step kid at every chance. I think it is by far one of the best looking EV's out there myself. The Smart looks like a toy, the Leaf looks like a futuristic whale. Tesla looks like a car, but for that price, it better.

My plan is to drive the Imeiv for 3-4 years and pick up a Model "S" off a lease. However, with retirement plans including us moving back to Puerto Rico, I dont know if a Tesla there is a really good idea. When we lived there before, the best mechanic in the area kept his tools in a homedepot bucket...

There are plenty of 2012 i-MiEVs with CHAdeMO, but you have to look carefully and dealers are clueless - the only giveaway is the release handle under the left side of the driver's seat. You can also look up the VIN on the Mitsu website which will tell you if the car was equipped with CHAdeMO.

In real life, even though we typically put on about 1000 miles/month on each of our two i-MiEVs, we probably use CHAdeMO about once every couple of months.

DamnHippie said:
I actually saw one, though a 2012, in red for sale in Scotsdale AZ for sale online a couple weeks ago. 11k miles, no accidents, in red, $6200. Cant find it now. May have been a custom job ?

i wouldnt mind a 2012 model, but Chademo wasnt standard until 2014 model, and it is a must. I can convince the lady to plug in for 20 minutes if she has too and get a cup of coffee or something, but if shes hanging around for two hours, shes gonna start shoe shopping. I can afford the car, but womans shoes are gonna put me in the poor house...

I do like the Smart ED, and sat in one (though not the ED version) and really liked the feel, but my personal feeling is the Imiev absolutely got screwed by people. Mitsubishi didnt market it for squat, and people seem overjoyed to bash it like a redheaded step kid at every chance. I think it is by far one of the best looking EV's out there myself. The Smart looks like a toy, the Leaf looks like a futuristic whale. Tesla looks like a car, but for that price, it better.

My plan is to drive the Imeiv for 3-4 years and pick up a Model "S" off a lease. However, with retirement plans including us moving back to Puerto Rico, I dont know if a Tesla there is a really good idea. When we lived there before, the best mechanic in the area kept his tools in a homedepot bucket...

If you're taking your proposed electric to PR, then I suggest that you contact dealers their to make sure they can service it. Perhaps contacting these folks would help: https://www.facebook.com/prceva.org

From a cursory check, it looks like Leafs are supported, don't know what else. But you'd have to confirm in any event.

The Red one must have been a repaint - They never came in that color in North America

Our original car we bought brand new didn't have CHAdeMo (it would have been about $3500 more) and when we were shopping for a second one coming off lease a couple years later, we didn't even consider any cars which were not 'Premium' versions with all the bells and whistles, largely because there just wasn't any price difference between used base models and those which had every option and there were so many available to choose from at that time, so why not?

We've never used the DCQC and likely never will. In nearly 6 years, we plugged in one time downtown and walked a couple blocks to a baseball game. Had a full charge when the game was over, but other than that, every electron that's gone into either of the cars has come from our garage. The way we use them, charging away from home just didn't turn out to be necessary - We thought it would be a must when we first bought an EV (what good is a car which can't go more than 75 miles?) but in actuality, for 95% of our needs it's just not necessary . . . . and we seldom charge them to 100% and still they take us almost everywhere we need. The gas burner sits home on a trickle charger most of the time

Moral of the story is - You don't really know how you'll use an EV and what's most important until you've owned one for a while. It may turn out quite different from what you think. Assuming you have another vehicle, you have the option everyday to drive the most appropriate car for the job and a 4 seater which can haul cargo will usually be a better choice than a 2 seater. If range is at all questionable, a trip in the gas burner isn't out of the question, at least not for me

Sounds like the 3 towns you'll be going to are all within range and even an hour or so L2 charge (if necessary) would get you back home. But . . . . you have plenty of time to search so there's no need not to primarily look for DCQC equipped cars just in case - But I'll predict it won't turn out to be *as important* as you think it will. I would not walk away from a really nice car at a good price just because it didn't have DCQC - It might be nice to have, but when you consider the cost (an 80 mile round trip with a $7.50 DCQC halfway will be almost as expensive as driving your other ICE car) so you wouldn't use it very often

Don

DamnHippie said:
May not have a choice in color, but ideally would want a red one, as I've read they have been proven to be faster than the others...

But of course! Everyone knows reds go three times faster :D

(Proud owner of red car here)
Shame that you didn't get original red color in the USA. I wonder why?
For me QC is a must, since I even do some long-ish trips with my car. If you're like me (and have some Chademo chargers along the way) after driving it you'll find you want to do your trips full-electric as well.

Don’t police target red cars? :) not that speeding is worth the hit in a MIEV....

I love my blue color, and once I did a test drive I was sold on the car.

And the first question I asked was did it have the DCQC. Dealer didn’t know anything about the car but they knew that as I had to drive for an hour to see it. It’s been a lifesaver a few times.

It could be also be helpful to get an OBD tool the canion app to check the battery capacity if you have the chance to see one up close. I already lent my OBD to an acquaintance who wanted to buy an imiev but needed to check the battery condition beforehand (which was an unheard of 23Ah!).

Back