My Car is Only Charging Up to 12 Bars

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy CB,

In my case i've had that happen and it was due to a weak starting (aka auxillary) battery--the 12V lead acid.

The other issue of which i've heard is the subject of the recall of the motor control unit (MCU), namely a degradation of the insulation within the unit. Considering your humid and salty environment it may be that corrosion or deposits may be causing a similar effect.

You may want to start a new thread for your issue.

I've been driving around with my new battery for a few months now and have noticed about 20% increase in range(compared to new). Before I had the warranty replacement my SoC degraded rapidly. The last time I took it to the dealer I could only get 3 bars. Those were my magic words though.. "unable to charge fully" and that triggered warranty action. Happy!

JoeS said:
Boy, that was quick! Have you done a EVBatMon capacity measurement on your brand-new battery?
Yes, 2 weeks and a day was pretty quick. Oakland Mitsubishi was great! I have to thank those guys. They received the battery sometime last week and started the change out Friday morning. By Monday they were finishing the job and making sure that it charged, etc with Monday being the two week point. I picked it up the next day on Tuesday. What I think really helped here is that the mechanic doing the job owns and drives an I-miev himself though I didn't get to really talk to him (yet). I really lucked out here! :D

That's a good idea about checking EVBatMon. What is the best Ahr reading out there? I'll try to do this tonight.

ed5000 said:
That's a good idea about checking EVBatMon. What is the best Ahr reading out there? I'll try to do this tonight.
I believe I hold that record at 46.1 Ah:

http://www.myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3056&start=50#p30932

PV1 said:
I believe I hold that record at 46.1 Ah:

http://www.myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3056&start=50#p30932
Well okaaaay, 35Ah. :?

I haven't given it a full charge yet. Maybe that has something to do with it? I'll charge it up tonight and try again tomorrow. :cool:

Do a calibration charge on level 1, and that should shoot up into the mid-40's. No way a new pack has that little capacity.

Ed, I think it may be a residual reading from your old pack. As PV1 said, give it a nice long slow recharge from under two bars, but don't be surprised if it doesn't recalibrate right away. I would be inclined to take a reading every day for a few weeks (and be sure to write down the data). Do let us know what happens.

Hmmmm, still says 35 Ahr and RR shows only 62 miles after a full charge. I usually get over 70 with original pack.

This weekend I'll bring it down to 2 bars and try a level one charge.

After slow charging from two bars EVBatmon says I have a 36Ahr battery! An increase of 1 Ahr. At least I'm going in the right direction. :mrgreen:

The good thing is the new battery pack seems to last as long as my old pack or better.

Bello everybody. Mi write from spain. We are a owners group of citroen/Peugeot (psa group) eléctric vehicle clones of the i-Kiev.
Once person of our group seems a issue with cell #7, that is down and not charge.
The car has 60000 kms now and out of warranty. In psa group the pack batery cost arround 18.000 €, and yuasa dont sell a cell for replacement.
So the Soc of the car stop at aprox 14 segments.
Is there any solution or any compatible cell to replace de faulty one?
Many thanks in advance. Here in spain the dealers dont say any solution about this issue.

If you need some battery elements, I have some used ones (coming from a 2011 Mitsubishi imiev), they ran 35.000 km and remains around 40Ah (info from Canion)

Price would be 60 euros / cells + transport.
Just PM me if need

My 2012 iMiEV SE also just started having battery issues. It only charges up to 12 our of 16 kWh bars. My car has 43,000 miles on it. I already created my own thread regarding my issue before I found this thread. So, I will subscribe to this thread also and follow along.

Back