Fully Charged

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pittsburgh's T (light rail) runs on 650 volts DC through a single overhead line and grounded rails. In the early 20th Century, PRR's Eastern Corrdior ran at 12,000 volts, 25 Hz AC, but those powered full-size trains.

The only issue with tired vehicles is that you need dual overhead lines to complete a circuit. This wouldn't be a huge issue to set up, but I would think they use AC to minimize arcing, or at least they should (unlike DC, AC goes to zero volts twice a cycle, allowing for an arc to break).

They had me until they mentioned selling data. It's bad enough our phones track us everywhere we go, now they'll have flooring to do it. Other than that, nice product and very interesting idea.

That LEAF has a different dashboard than what is in the current LEAF. Wonder if that is a result of just having the self-driving hardware or if it's a glimpse into the LEAF 2.

misterbleepy, thanks for the post. Truly a massive energy-storage and power-generating system. It took them over ten years to build and become operational, probably at an astronomical price. 75% efficient, but interesting that they can get a generator on-line in only ten seconds.

Only three such sites in the UK.

Musing, as a contrast, a similar-capacity battery storage system (if enough battery cells were available) would -

1. Cost how much?
2. Consume how much surface area or volume?
3. Recurring cost, both maintenance and capital replacement?

JoeS said:
Musing, as a contrast, a similar-capacity battery storage system (if enough battery cells were available) would -

1. Cost how much?
2. Consume how much surface area or volume?
3. Recurring cost, both maintenance and capital replacement?

Good questions, that I would like to know the answeers to as well.

I have been on the tour of the place featured in the video (a good few years ago, before I had an EV), and it is even more impressive in real life.
Well worth a visit if you can make it.

back of the envelope calculations, so most likely wildly inaccurate:

Extrapolating from the recent Tesla mega battery thing installed in Australia:
Dinorwig total capacity 9.1 GWh
Tesla Australian mega battery total capacity 129 MWh
so it would take around 70 mega battery installations to get to the same capacity as Dinorwig.
Tesla said they'd deliver the mega battery on time or do it for free - I read that they stood to loose $50,000,000 if they had to give it away, so cost could be $3,500,000,000.
Area is trickier, and I guess the installation could be multi-storey to keep that under control.
Recurring cost/maintenance I have no idea about either - anyone else have any idea?

Back