Used 12 SE Premium or Used 14?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkit

Two years ago, I was able to purchase our new 14 I-Miev for $9,200 (after incentives). Our family loves the car so much that I start looking for a 2nd one now. So far, I've come across two used I-Miev:

(1) A 2012 SE with back up camera, 22000 miles, $5,500
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/great-car-great-price-all/6214049894.html

Pros: back up camera (my wife needs it), 1 owner
Cons: Dent at passenger side, rear penal

I messaged the owner re: the manufacturing date but have not got a response yet.

(2) A 2014 ES, 12000 miles, $8000 @Carmax
https://www.carmax.com/car/14599783

Pros: 14 model with better battery for sure, low mileage
Cons: No back up camera, same color as our current one, unsure about previous owner's charging habit, $2,750 more after tax

It's nice to have L3 charging capacity but I have never used it. Let me know what you guys think :)

kitkit said:
It's nice to have L3 charging capacity but I have never used it.

??? Not sure why that last statement is in your post? Both cars that you're comparing have L3 ??? :?

The Carmax car is very clean, but Carmax prices are fixed and are not negotiable. For that reason I've never liked dealing with them.

As for the 2012, the damage is barely noticeable and I much prefer the goodies that it has over the other car. If it's on craigslist it's likely being sold by an individual. I'd probably use the damage as leverage. I'd put a low-ball price out there...say $3800 - $4200 and see if I could wangle a good deal. The i-miev is a car that has limited appeal (extremely limited). Carmax can afford to sit on it until they get the price they are seeking, but an individual selling this car knows that it'll be a difficult endeavor and must weigh any offer that comes. Well that's my 2 cents.

IMO it's completely a judgement call - Is the newer car worth $2750 more to you? If it is, buy it . . . . if not, buy the '12

Don

With the way our batteries are aging so well and the near impossibility of upgrading a 2014 to the premium spec (camera, HDD music and bluetooth), I'd go for the 2012.

Thanks for the input everyone! I am also looking for some I-Miev from out of state. I think a 12 SE with LEV50n battery is a good fit. Just need to be patient ;)

I ended up buying a new 2016 VW e-Golf as dealerships offered great deals to clear their inventory. I bought a SE without quick charge from Richmond Hilltop VW, CA for $19,100. After all the rebate I am able to get the car for $11,500 out of the door. The dealership even allowed us to pick our color. I plan to keep the car for a while so I didn't choose to lease it.

So far, I am very happy with the e-Golf. A few years down the line, I will obtain a used I-Miev if the price is right.

If anyone's looking to buy, there's a nice looking 2012 black SE (perhaps a premium) FSBO near Seattle right now with only 13k miles, asking $7k. PM me and I'll forward the link.

Back