A/C Issue.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posting pictures is cumbersome. You need to upload to another service like Dropbox, Photobucket, or imgur, then share the link and paste it in a post on here. If you don't want to go through all of that, you can upload them at the link below, which will send them to my Dropbox and I can post a link to the pictures for you.

https://dbinbox.com/pv1

Thanks to PV1 for image upload explanation.

I had a detailled looked tonight at the used bracket and it seems that only the rubber are missing !. I don't know exactly how the brackets are installed but I have 4 pieces. On 2 pieces rubber are still there but completely 'unglued'. After reflexion I could perhaps had a look under the car and glued some new rubber..

I will try this week end to go under the car and perhaps tie wrap the rubber as an other member did.

Here is a link to the used brackets.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66393263/Bracket%202.jpg

Thanks for your support !

Olivier, who is not completely sure to keep peanut ;o((

Marathonor, thanks for posting the photo. Looks as though, once out of warranty, this would be an easy do-it-yourself fix utilizing some inexpensive conventional vibration isolators (Google those two words to see the thousands of options available).

Initially, I thought my AC was broken until I went to the dealer for the "rust bolt battery" recall.

vZGgHbp.png

The noise was terrible when starting the AC and I also had a chirp noise when hitting crack on the road.

On the lift it was clear that the bracket holding the compressor were gone.

A brand new rubber spacer will look like this one:
AC_bracket%20original_337x600.jpeg

I found all four spacers unglued from the metal screws after removing the plastic protector underneath the AC compressor ( from under the car ):
i-miev-AC-1_800x600.jpg

The dealer charge 130$ per bracket + labor for a total of 350$ + taxes.
I found something on McMaster that should replace the spacer but this time the material will be S.S. instead of the rusty steel they used previously.
i-miev-AC-2_800x600.jpg

11$ each + taxes & shipping ( you need 4 )
http://www.mcmaster.com/#5823K22

Meanwhile, I simply cutted into a medium/hard rubber 1/2" thk the shape of the bracket then Tie wrap them between the AC an the base bracket.
This modification alone completely removed the noise from the AC, so the AC unit is still good. :D
i-miev-AC-4_800x600.jpg

i-miev-AC-3_800x600.jpg

Since I have no more guaranty on the AC system, I am quite happy that only the bracket were damaged.
This being said, going under the car to do the job was long and irritating. ( the screws were rusty after only 4 years... )

Edit 2022: re-upload the lost pictures.

Adam, thank you for posting the analysis, solutions, and photos. These A/C mountings look to be the first significant weak spot in the i-MiEV design, and perhaps should be added to our routine maintenance checks. Does anyone know if a broken rubber isolator is obvious just by visual inspection? If not, what would be a good way to check to see if it's ok?

Hi,
You could see partially one bracket looking under the car.

Nice job ! I've paid 400$ last week for bracket replacement, which were in fact not really the bracket but the rubber vibrators.

Correct, when you hear a noise while using your A/C ( it feel like having an ICE car motor turning at 5000 or 6000 RPM when you push it to the max setting) lift the car, you can even see one of the bracket by pulling slightly with one hand on the plastic cover. Use the other hand to push on the A/C compressor. If all rubber bumpers are still attached, you will not be able to move the compressor.

On my car, all 4 bumpers were gone, so it was metal against metal.

Warning! You will also see orange cables going to the A/C, those have 300 ish volt potential and must be avoid.

Hammering sound
My miev has 50 000 km and first started hearing nocking sounds in combination with acceleration from low speeds combined with ac turned on. Since the hammering was of quite high frequency beyond a mechanical passive part it sounded like a small motor not properly fastened. As time went by it became sensitive to small road bumps even when AC off and when going uphill.

AC compressor unit - vibration absorbers broken
Lifted the car and found one of the four tiny chock absorbers under the AC compressor unit between front wheels just above ground had lost its rubber and a few more where aged and about to go as well.

uc

The design is a bit optimistic as the expensive and vital unit has no container or other support and may go wild if more than one of the supports break. The unit is heavy and supports are only about 10-15 mm in diameter.

I think there is no point buying expensive original part with metal bracket included if the quality issue has not been adressed by Mitsubishi.

At least rubber pads of low price should have a separate article number and not be bolted to metal brackets to be replaced.

Replacement absorbers
I have located some absorbers of same length and diameter of 60 shore rubber hardness and will give it a try. The original ones have a waist shape and are extremely soft. It may be a bit more rubber area will transfer more AC vibes to the car body. But better than a fall off and better than a rip off.

uc

Original absorbers are L=15 and D=12 mm with two 15mm M5 end bolts

Part number 1117-1255740 from Swedish comapany Kuntze D=15 mm and L= 15 mm and Hardness 60° (shore).

Bolt threads are M4 compared to original part M5 but worked ok.

Absorbers with thread M5 and D=15 x L=15 can be found at www.mecmove.se

Photo documentation

uc

Image - Absorber lost its rubber.

uc

Image - Another about to break.

uc

Image - New absorbers are best installed with brackets removed.

uc

Image - Easiest to fasten the bracket to the AC unit and then to the car body.

Done!

Vibrations are appr same as when new.

Four absorbers = $15. Nuts and washers included.

:D

Dealer was $81 for the bolts !!! :shock: :eek:

Seriously, that is robbery at it's finest.
I have to bring in for the other recall stuff and need to get this done but I don't have a lift to play under the car.
Plus I can't find anything local that would replace it
:( Funny I found that rubber thing about a year ago in my driveway, thought it was form ym truck !

Vibration dampers with bolts sticking out the ends are very common; for example, my 50-year-old Saab used them for suspending the muffler. A quick look on Amazon uncovered this at $6.16 for two, but I didn't check to see if the dimensions and elasticity are what's needed for the i-MiEV. Lots of other similar ones shown, and I'd look on eBay as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Vibra...=1499811430&sr=8-13&keywords=vibration+damper

If you have a jack and a couple of jackstands, you should be able to reach the A/C compressor by removing the left front wheel and inner fender lining.

PV1 said:
If you have a jack and a couple of jackstands, you should be able to reach the A/C compressor by removing the left front wheel and inner fender lining.

Is the US car different from the EU/ UK ones - if not, then the best way to get at the AC compressor isn't from a wheel arch, its from underneath the front of the vehicle, by removing the plastic front under-tray, ans it's literally right there.

Underneath is your best bet, but it is close enough to the wheel well if you can't get the car up in the air.

Had the 'i' in last week to do the Recalls.
Told them about the AC thing and their "i tech" had no idea where the AC was :?
One of the desk guys was saying that he was going to see if they could get it covered by Warranty thinking it is like the Motor Mount.

They said my Warranty was done, but on my Mitsu Garage website (run by Mitsu) say that my Powertrain isn't up till 1/31/218 and I still have another 38,000 miles left.

This should be covered under the part that says "Electric Motor unit cooling system" as I have the Chademo charging.

So I am going to be pushing it to make them cover it.

I go in next tuesday

Ok brackets With the rubber bolts are $81 each, plus $1.56 for bolts to hold brackets to car.
Total was about $251

Still should be covered under warranty.

But I am happy, dealer is a tart though

:eek:

Forget that! I'd DIY something for $10 first.

I agree, though. For cars with quick charging, I'd consider the A/C part of the powertrain as it is necessary for quick charging. For that matter, I'd be tempted to cover the whole HVAC system under the 5 year warranty if it has the ductwork to the battery if it was up to me.

tigger19687 said:
Ok brackets With the rubber bolts are $81 each, plus $1.56 for bolts to hold brackets to car.
Total was about $251

Still should be covered under warranty.

But I am happy, dealer is a tart though

I fixed this issue with 10 cable ties installed tight enough to give the same amount of play as the OE brackets... it took me an hour, and has been fine since.

Back