that little remote controller with the antenna on it

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomash85715

Search in this section for word on this device shows nothing so I post this. A 2012 model at a used car place in san diego area has no seat heater/charge status/time delay handheld dongle. Web pictures show it attached to key fob. The dealer states: "It did not come on this model." Is it missing in action or is this true? I had read that it was standard on all from the beginning. It looks like a good car at good price but if it is missing parts...how much to get one of these things? Thank you.

They were indeed standard equipment on all North American models, so it was likely misplaced by a previous owner. It's not a 'dongle' and even though it does have a ring on top, it's actually too large to keep on a key ring (it's about 4 inches by 1 1/4 by 3/4's) so most owners keep them either in the glove box or in the house, which is where you would likely use it the most. It doesn't have anything to do with the seat heater, but you would need to have it to pre-heat (or pre-cool) the car, if that's something you think you would actually to do - I used one of mine for that a few times, but found it more of a pain than it was worth. It can be used for delay charging, but it's design for doing that leaves lots to be desired, IMO - I've never used either of mine for that purpose

The bad news - Replacement cost is about US $1K! :shock: Worse news, you can't buy a used one and use it with your car - It must be programmed to the car and I'm not sure the dealer could re-program a used one to work with your car. The good news . . . . not having the remote is not really that big of a deal, IMO. You would certainly miss having one if you needed to regularly pre-heat the car while still hooked to the EVSE on cold mornings, but other than that, they're not of that much use. I have two iMiEV's and I have the remotes for both of them laying around here somewhere, but I've not used either of them for at least a couple years, probably longer

Probably the best news about looking at a used car with a missing remote is . . . . you can argue to lower the price when you tell the dealer that 'it's really important' (never hurts to fib a little bit) and replacing it is going to cost you, the buyer $1K, so how about we split that cost and you lower the price of the car by $500?? That works . . . . sometimes

Don

thomash, searching for "Remote" yields 631 hits, so it's a daunting task to find what you want (the answers ARE there, somewhere...).

1) All i-MiEVs came with a driver's-side seat heater.
2) All i-MiEVs came with a Remote. Replacement is $800 + $200 programming.
3) Dealer salespeople are normally clueless (including Mitsubishi dealers).
4) If buying from a dealer, insist on their providing the Remote (don't tell the salesperson how much replacement costs, as they will normally commit to 'throwing it in' if its missing). Otherwise, knock $1000 off their asking price.

Why San Diego? Let us know your location by modifying your profile.

wmcbrine said:
Don said:
even though it does have a ring on top, it's actually too large to keep on a key ring
Clearly you've never seen my sister's keychain.
She has a purse so she doesn't have to cram them in her pocket!! :shock:

Don

Hi All: Now that I have bought myself a 2012 i-MiEV, I will properly join the forum. Up until last evening, I was a wannabe only. In my zip code of 85745 in SE arizona, the pickings are slim. Our local mitsu dealer is not i-certified. The four in phoenix which is 100 miles away are. One of them had two of these cars; the lower priced one was $8K and missing its EV controller. I offered them 6K and they refused. I broadened the search and spent a couple of weeks calling and emailing settling on a silver one at bmw encinitas dlr. They came down to $5300 for a '12 with 19K on it and yes missing its EV controller. True I would never preheat my seats but it would be nice to see charge status from inside the building where the car might be charging. I will probably be on lookout for one and do not mind paying dlr to initialize or marry car and device. After owning three jaguars, I have come to accept that some things just cost money to properly enjoy. Thank you for the info on this device. --Tom in AZ

Congratulations! If you won't miss pre-heating, pre-cooling, or charge delay timers, then the remote won't be necessary. If the main thing you were looking for was remote charge level, then there are a couple of options available to fill that need, both of which are cheaper than the remote.

One method is by purchasing an OVMS module and installing it in the car. This will enable smartphone connectivity.

Another is by using two Android phones and CaniOn. One phone lives in the car recording data, and the other is used to view the data over a cloud sync system such as Dropbox.

Both OVMS and CaniOn have dedicated threads on this forum, and a quick search should point you to them.

It doesn't 'preheat the seats' - It preheats the car . . . . using the car's water heater. Only the drivers side seat has an electric heater in it and the remote doesn't activate the seat. As for viewing the state of charge, it's really basic and not worth too much for that purpose - I wouldn't pay $100 for that feature, in fact, it's something I've never used

Anyway, do lots more research before you spend several hundred to buy one and another couple hundred to get it programmed - I think you would probably regret spending that money

Congrats on your 'new' car - Sounds like you got a great deal and at that price if you drive it for several years it will be essentially free - You'll be saving $.10 per mile over the operating costs of most other cars, so it won't take you more than 50 or 60K to get your $5300 back

Don

Don said:
It doesn't 'preheat the seats' - It preheats the car . . . . using the car's water heater. Only the drivers side seat has an electric heater in it and the remote doesn't activate the seat.
BTW, in my experience, the seat heats up quite quickly (no real need to pre-heat it), and the heat is very effective -- if it weren't for fogged windows, I could happily use it in place of the cabin heat. Or at least, I could, if they'd also added a heated steering wheel...

Note that the seat heater has much less impact on range than the cabin heater.

If you have the seat heater switched to the ON position, then the seat will also be pre-heated when the remote turns on the car heater.

I have a spare remote from a salvaged car, in pristine shape. Rather than sit on it in case I lose mine, I'll offer it up for sale. A replacement is reported to cost $800 plus $200 programming.
I'll issue a full refund on the return if the buyer's dealer is incapable of successful reprogramming.
First $450 takes it, shipping included. Otherwise please PM your offer.
Don't Stay Frosty, My Friends!
Jay

Back