How to install after market stereo in ES

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished installing this as well. I was really interested in running CanION, and waze on a bigger screen, so I uninstalled my Pioneer and it will be on its way back to Crutchfield tomorrow. There's more to learn with this unit (the Newsmy NU3001). Some observations so far...

- iPhone 5S connected via bluetooth seems to work fine for both phone and music. Bluetooth seems to automatically connect, but with the OBDII paired, the iPhone doesn't show up in the paired list.

- iPhone 5S as a hotspot for the wifi seems to work fine as well. I downloaded Waze, Pandora and CanION from the google play store without difficulty. I'd like to figure out how to prevent gmail from automatically refreshing and downloading e-mail when the hotspot is connected.

- When I connect the iPhone to the USB, it starts some app that most of the time doesn't seem to do anything, but one time it loaded all my pictures. I wish it wouldn't do that. Hopefully I can find a way to disable that. I'm not very familiar with Android... Anyone?

- The radio goes off when I go into reverse (I have a backup camera installed). This was surprising.

- Lots to learn about CanION. Showing "Random" values for the battery levels (at least that's what they overlay says). I'm wondering if that will go away at some point. I'll have to read up in the CanION thread.

- For the install I had to drill a couple of new holes in the brackets to move the whole unit further forward. I have the factory double-din trim. Tomorrow I'll be going to a local place that will make a custom trim "ring" for me since the opening of the factory trim is more complex (with large radius corners) and the interior dimension is like nothing I could buy online. I'll let you know how it turns out.

- I ordered the 2gb unit, but in Settings->Storage it shows that there is only 0.98gb. Am I looking in the right place?

Thanks for all the great information,

Howie

The radio goes off when I go into reverse (I have a backup camera installed). This was surprising.

Hey Howieb - I couldn't find the backup wire necessary for the backup camera to turn on... which one is it ?

It appears the factory micro antenna connector is not the standard type. Is there an antenna adapter you purchased for your aftermarket radio?

Rob, welcome to the forum.

Are you in the US? I've had two different aftermarket radios in my i-MiEV. The antenna connector seems to be standard and fit both radios just fine.

howieb said:
.....- Lots to learn about CanION. Showing "Random" values for the battery levels (at least that's what they overlay says). I'm wondering if that will go away at some point. I'll have to read up in the CanION thread....

Hi,
Mitsu changed the batteries in 2015. It is impossible now for canion go get individual Temps & Volts....

Would anyone know if I can buy special brackets anywhere to install this double din radio I just purchased ?
The problem is the existing brackets I have that came with the car would normally need to be screwed on the lower part of the radio but this one is like a 1DIN in the back.

The Double Din fascia I bought from China came with two platic brackets but I cant seem to figure out how to use them and attach them to the fascia. There was no instructions manual either :?

Any help would be appreciated.
Mike

Can someone who has installed a double din replacement panel give a little more insight into what they did with the panel clips and how the fitting went? I took the factory clips off the factory panel and installed them onto the replacement panel, they all look like they line up pretty good but the panel doesn't want to clip in all around and all of the clips are not seated and there is about a quarter inch gap and it is loose and rattles so I need to get back to it.

Thanks

Some more info on my install:

I have not played around with it lately - maybe this weekend. Looking for some input from someone who has installed a replacement double din. It is not clipping in. Seems like I will need to modify it somehow. Thanks.

I used this panel:
https://www.amazon.com/11-252-Installation-Surrounded-Citroen-178102mm/dp/B012CVUTT6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1537380127&sr=8-4&keywords=i-miev+double+din&dpID=41NX5x0hJHL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

And here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEigGG3bSJ8&feature=youtu.be

I have not worked on it lately - it looks fine in the car but it is loose - I'm planning on working on it this weekend and will post again. I may remove the top 3 connectors and just let it connect with the main ones at the radio. That may do it. Will let you know.

Everyone -

I found that the Chinese-import fascia panel for the double-din upgrade is rather poorly constructed and very cheaply made. It took two months to receive mine, and the quality is not good.

After some digging, I found the ORIGINAL OWM Factory part, and it is being delivered within just a few days! I located it as follows:

Savannah Mitsubishi - https://www.mitsubishipartssource.com/
Part # - 8002A116HC (Same as original poster)
Price: $117.65

So in-case anyone wants to try this and wants the original factory part, here you go :)

Have a great day everyone!

Michael

Back