3-Wheel Battery-Electric Vehicles

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree - It's far and away the slickest thing on 3 wheels I've seen, but I don't see how they're going to sell a lot of them at the price point they'll have to use to make it profitable. And, if they can't sell quite a few of them, it will be hard to make a profit. That has proven to be the problem with similar ventures in the past. Imagine what the price would be if it was required to meet all the safety and crash standards required for 4 wheel vehicles

It really amazes me that the major manufacturers can build a compliant ICE econo car for around $15K and actually make money selling them - You have to sell a bunch of them to make that profitable

Hopefully someone down here will buy one - I'd love to see one in person

Don

NeilBlanchard said:
Another vehicle in this category is the Arcimoto SRK, with a base price of $11,900 before incentives:

https://www.arcimoto.com/

arcimoto-srk-8-2-1.jpg

It has optional sides and doors, and it has two battery pack options. Dual motors gives it torque vectoring.

Arcimoto is trying to heat up:

https://youtu.be/q9RKEMovmzg

From this Youtube video, their site and Facebook, they are now emphasizing efforts to market to customers and investors.

Electra Meccanica Event:

http://electrameccanica.com/event/tedxstanleypark/

Electra Meccanica Is Part of TEDxStanleyPark 2017
Saturday, March 4th 10 A.M. to 6 P.M.
Queen Elizabeth Theatre, 650 Hamilton Street

Every year, thousands attend the TEDxStanleyPark conference to listen to a series of short, high-impact talks. Some learn and laugh. Some cringe and cry. All are inspired to take brave actions that move the needle toward a better world.

Electra Meccanica is proud to announce that we've partnered with TEDxStanleyPark, and invite you to join us there! Tickets are now available for $77 (balcony), $97 (general admission) and $127 (VIP). Whichever type of ticket you buy, you’ll receive the following bonuses worth $265:
FLOATHOUSE will give you a 90-minute float worth $75.
ELEGANCE MD MEDISPA will give you a 30-minute MediCupping massage worth $65.
GUIIDES.COM will give you a Stanley Park Running Tour, Stanley Park Cycling Tour or Stanley Park Foraging Tour guided tour worth $45.
YUK YUKS will give you 4 tickets to a comedy show worth $40.
BAILA VANCOUVER-DANCETODAY will give couples a beginner salsa, tango or bachata group lesson worth $40.
To purchase tickets, visit http://www.tedxstanleypark.com/electra-meccanica/. Ticket help line available at 604-408-0888. Email confirmation will arrive within 48 hours of purchase, along with directions on how to claim your bonuses.

Together we’ll be inspired to take brave actions that make our world a little better.

New Electra Meccanica Store: http://electrameccanica.com/category/blog/

"RSVP for Our First SOLO Store Opening!

It's official: our first SOLO store is about to open at Bentall Centre Mall in downtown Vancouver, and you're invited to join us next Wednesday for the Grand Opening!

Ribbon cutting will take place shortly after Noon, February 15th, at our new Bentall Tower II location. Be sure to email your RSVP to [email protected]. See below for event location."

See the website link for the event location.

More Electra Meccanica news:

From the Desk of Jerry Kroll

I have just returned from China, where I toured the future home of our SOLO manufacturing facilities. We will initially use these facilities for mass production of parts — and eventually for complete cars beginning later this year and into 2018. Our Canadian production facilities in Vancouver are great, but they don’t have the capacity to fulfill the growing number of orders we will need to produce in a timely fashion, or the ability to ship them around the world in a cost-effective way.

I have always been impressed by the efficiencies and scale of manufacturing in Asia, and our partners are some of the best on the planet. They have world-class quality control standards and a reputation for making some of the best vehicles for very large and well-known global motoring companies. It’s also encouraging to see the enthusiasm being applied now to clean energy vehicles — and in particular to the SOLO — as a way of disrupting the harmful effects of fossil fuel vehicles. Not only do governments “get it”, but also now industry, consumers and investors are making this a priority in their decisions. We have truly passed a tipping point towards the closing down of harmful carbon emissions from fossil fuel. There are STILL some naughty companies coercing governments to allow for new fracking and pipelines, but even they can see the writing on the wall.

We are nearing the end of our initial pre-production run of ten SOLOs, and have been sorting out the build procedures and, once complete, I am looking forward to making the first customer deliveries soon. If all goes to plan, we will begin delivering the first of our pre-orders locally, likely around the time of the Vancouver Auto Show which runs from March 28-April 2. Once we have a number of customer cars happily driving around the Vancouver area, we’ll start sending them further afield and out of the country. I’m happy to say that our US Compliance Certification continues to move along and we will announce the results in due time.

Our Advanced Performance Division is working hard on our amazing SOLO R race car for its upcoming debut in Silicon Valley. We’ll have a private test at one of my favourite race tracks, and provide video and details to you on the results of this first running. We’re targeting the third week of March for this, so brace yourself! Not only will it be fast, it’ll look amazing. That’s what racing is all about, right? We may even consider making the SOLO R race car available to select clients who have the appropriate racing license. Noisy race tracks are one of the biggest problems in the industry, and SOLO is the ultimate solution. Now let’s see if it can pass the cars that currently make up the grids!

Our SOLO orders from individuals have now eclipsed 450. We’ve introduced a new program for people who have standing deposits on other cars. The program allows those people to send their current deposit receipt to us and we’ll credit the full amount of the receipt towards the purchase of a SOLO. You can check out SmallEV.com for more details. We still also accept $250 as a fully refundable deposit on any one of the four colours of EMV SOLO. Silver is now the most popular colour ordered, with red and white close behind. We’ll soon have a full running example of the SOLO in black when our pre-production #6 car is finished, and we’ll get our marketing team to post images on our website and social media channels when ready. Kind of like a one person electric Batmobile!!

February will see us opening up our first two SOLO Intro Stores in the Vancouver area, which will be replicated around the world. I’m excited about getting the cars in front of people in high traffic areas. It’ll create awareness and provide a platform for how best to stage future SOLO dealerships and retail outlets.

Speaking of high traffic, please make plans to visit us at the Vancouver Auto Show, which will take place at the Trade and Convention Centre from March 28-April 2. I hope to display the freshly tested SOLO race car, one or two shiny new SOLOs, and of course the SOLO chassis so people can see the magic that happens underneath the cool SOLO exterior. I should be there every day, along with the rest of our SOLO team. Show hours and other details will be posted on the EMV website over the next few days, and make sure to sign up for the EMV newsletters. Much, much more to come in the next few weeks and months!

See you soon!

Jerry Kroll, CEO
ElectraMeccanica Vehicles Corp.

blackheart said:
Much prefer the lines of the Merlin than the Sparrow. Wished they would revive the Merlin model in a coupe and convertible

Wasn't familiar with the Merlin, but found this showing a picture of it:

http://www.3wheelers.com/corbin.html

Solo R?

This holiday Monday, bring the family down to Pitt Meadows JIBC for the first ever public demonstration of the advanced performance SOLO, the SOLO R!

Submit your RSVP to [email protected]. This is a weather permitting event subject to cancellation for rain conditions.

See the website for the Pitt address.

Still have to wonder what % of max power can be regenerated by a rear-wheel-drive three-wheeler, without locking up the rear wheel as weight is transferred forward. Our i-miEV sports an amazing 125A/155A ≈ 80%. As more and more of us get exposed to high regen, going 'back' to a low-regen environment will be a non-starter. This was one of the main factors as to why I chose an i-MiEV over a Leaf five years ago.

JoeS said:
Our i-miEV sports an amazing 125A/155A ≈ 80%. As more and more of us get exposed to high regen, going 'back' to a low-regen environment will be a non-starter. This was one of the main factors as to why I chose an i-MiEV over a Leaf five years ago.

Hello,JoeS, can you please explain further?

I was always under the impression that all electric vehicles with regen operated the same way.

What makes our little iMiev's so special as compared to the Leaf, Soul EV, etc?

Brian

Different vehicles are programmed different ways. Mitsubishi designed the i-MiEV with nearly as much regen force as motive power. I don't think any other production EV comes this close in terms of regen to power ratio. Also, since the i-MiEV is one of the lightest EVs on the market, this means that it has the most regen per pound of vehicle weight, making regen very effective. By comparison, max regen in the LEAF feels like no-pedal regen in ECO mode. Even when both vehicles regen the same amount of power, the i-MiEV will slow down faster since the LEAF is a heavier car.

I would not like going to another vehicle with weak regen. Unlike friction brakes, regen doesn't wear out and need replaced, and it doesn't fade on long, downhill descents as long as there's room in the battery.

Hi FrostyCanada - PV1 explained it well. Cars with very strong regen include the Tesla and BMW i3 (although it's my understanding that BMW backed off a bit from the very high regen that they first started with). Even though the Tesla max regen is only about 30% of max power, it has so much power available that even that amount of regen really slows it down despite the car's tremendous weight.

There is a worldwide UN performance standard in terms of deceleration above which the brake lights must turn on. The i-MiEV is still below that range.

On the i-MiEV, I tell people that when driving I have four levels of regen: zero (when placed into Neutral), and one for each of the drive settings. The 125A number is the max regen current in B I recall seeing on CaniOn (may have been 130A?), with 155A being the maximum measured current drawn when accelerating hard.

Back on topic, I fear that the single rear wheel drive of, for example, the SOLO, will preclude aggressive regeneration because of the concern over rear-wheel lockup on slippery surfaces. This point could be software controlled using the ABS sensors, but I don't know if they're taking the time to develop this yet.

Phximiev said:
New Electra Meccanica Store: http://electrameccanica.com/category/blog/

"RSVP for Our First SOLO Store Opening!

It's official: our first SOLO store is about to open at Bentall Centre Mall in downtown Vancouver, and you're invited to join us next Wednesday for the Grand Opening!

Ribbon cutting will take place shortly after Noon, February 15th, at our new Bentall Tower II location. Be sure to email your RSVP to [email protected]. See below for event location."

See the website link for the event location.

I received a reminder on this, so:

The First SOLO Store Opens Tomorrow!

Don't forgot: Tomorrow is the Grand Opening of our new SOLO store! Noon this Wednesday is when we'll be cutting the ribbon on our new Bentall Tower II location. RSVP to [email protected], and come say "hello" to your latest source for all things SOLO!

JoeS said:
Still have to wonder what % of max power can be regenerated by a rear-wheel-drive three-wheeler, without locking up the rear wheel as weight is transferred forward. Our i-miEV sports an amazing 125A/155A ≈ 80%. As more and more of us get exposed to high regen, going 'back' to a low-regen environment will be a non-starter. This was one of the main factors as to why I chose an i-MiEV over a Leaf five years ago.
I just watched another of the Morgan promo videos about the EV3 (a Selfridges limited/special edition) and there's a couple of driving shots that show the rear wheel fairly clearly.
I'd guess it's easily wider than the combined width of the (very skinny) front tyres - as is the total rear contact patch of the i-MiEV compared to the total front contact patch - so maybe it could have pretty high regen like the i-MiEV does.
I'd love to test drive one to find out :)
Video here - rear tyre shown well at 2:35:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryLO4u1hQQ4

Back