Chevy Bolt production version

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Wikipedia:

Ordering began in California and Oregon in mid-October 2016. The first three Bolts were delivered in the San Francisco Bay Area on 13 December 2016. During its first month in the U.S. market, a total of 579 units were delivered. The national roll out is scheduled to begin in early 2017 in New York, Massachusetts and Virginia, and by mid-2017 is expected to be available nationwide.

One in Hagerstown, MD, even if it is a test car :lol: .

Hagerstown Premium Outlets
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/62526

hello,

I have a photo of my iMiEV next to the BoltEV but can't seem to get it posted. I'll send it to Joes may be he can post.

We went to look/test drive a Bolt on NewYear and there was one available, ordered by somebody who decided to get a Volt instead. I put down a deposit on my credit card, when home and came back with some checks, then drove the Bolt home. I was planning to get one later in the spring, but this one was right there and it has CCS. The extra was the Orange Burst color and the silly rear cargo shelf.

I am on travel now so haven't driven it hardly, but my daughter just raves about it. The L shift mode is the no-creep and will bring the car to a complete stop. Couple the L and the on-demand regen paddle on the steering wheel, I hardly use the brake. I did confirm the brake lights go on when regen in L.

It doesn't look significant larger then the iMiEV on the outside and the rear 3-person seats is comfortable really for 2 regular size person. The ride is rough, similar to the iMiEV, and the interior is quite basic, again similar to the i. My wife's first phrase was "it's not as luxurious as the Volt". It is after all built as a crossover.

But you gota love that 200 miles plus range. My daughter has tried successful charging CCS.

Somebody out there needs to build a CCS <-> Chamedo adaptor ! as the VW's penalty for Dieselgate to install EVSE is going with CCS.

Here are pbui19's photos:

PBuiMievBoltVolt.jpg

PBuiMiEVBolt.jpg

Nice color! :cool:

That's about what I expected, size-wise. I figured a tad wider and a bit longer, but about the same height.

unfortunately the shape and size gives the Bolt about the same Cd as our iMiev, around 0.3x or so. If GM put the same hardware into a Volt body and gives it a heatpump heater, it'll be a winner. The lower Volt's Cd, around 0.2x i think, probably can push the range north of 260-mile on the highway.

Slightly off topic, if Elon truly wants to advance the EV adoption, he ought to open up the Supercharging station to the public. Tesla vehicles can have the priority, and I wouldn't mind paying for the electricity. With the 200+ range, we can get some serious e-miles in.

Bolt is 69.5"W (1765mm) and 164"L (4166mm) and weighs 3580.0# (1624kg)
i-MiEV is 62.4"W (1534mm) and 144.8"L (3678mm) and weighs 2579# (1170kg)

Bolt turning diameter is 35.4' (10,8m)
i-MiEV turning diameter is 30.8' (9,4m)

With a significantly larger and torquier motor, I must say that the extra 1000# (454kg) was not noticeable on the short test drive I took.

Edmunds.com is a good place to compare specs.

I personally would prefer a non-NA skinnier i-MiEV.

The Bolt does not feel like a large car.

Edit: added metric units

Having seen pics of the Bolt interior and considering our family physiques, we would probably find the Bolt to be quite comfortable consistent with the opinion of others. However, anyone here have issues with the 'bolsters'?

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5675&p=11983#p11983

Phximiev said:
Having seen pics of the Bolt interior and considering our family physiques, we would probably find the Bolt to be quite comfortable consistent with the opinion of others. However, anyone here have issues with the 'bolsters'?
http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5675&p=11983#p11983
I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary during my brief test drive, but will pay attention to seat comfort and legroom the next time I go for a more-extensive looksee.

I figure a huge organization like GM has human-factors as an integral part of their design process so I can't imagine anything really weird. I happen to like cloth seats and pleased to see those as standard.

Shades of the bad-mouthing our lightweight i-MiEV seats received by 'professional' reviewers. Still dunno what the fuss was about.

Already have one friend that I had convinced to go BEV a couple of years ago (he bought a Leaf) just place an order for a BoltEV in addition to his Tesla 3 reservation. Even though he's never been stranded and they only put on less than 5K miles/year, he has wife-induced range anxiety issues. :x (I know, I know, I'm not being politically correct :twisted: ). As I've said before, the BotEV is a game-changer as for many people it panders to perceptions which, as in politics, nowadays seem to matter more than ever. :roll: That said, for people with significant commutes and no ability to charge at work, it certainly fills that need.

For now, I'm very happy with my own stable, thank you.

I happen to find the i-MiEV seats very comfortable, so I don't know where the reviewers got that complaint from (then again, based on their other review aspects, I don't think they were even driving the same car). I predict the Bolt will arrive sometime this summer in PA, so I'll likely get some seat time then.

The seats in the Volt are pretty comfortable, so it's likely they didn't ruin the Bolt's comfort.

pbui19 said:
unfortunately the shape and size gives the Bolt about the same Cd as our iMiev, around 0.3x or so. If GM put the same hardware into a Volt body and gives it a heatpump heater, it'll be a winner. The lower Volt's Cd, around 0.2x i think, probably can push the range north of 260-mile on the highway.

Slightly off topic, if Elon truly wants to advance the EV adoption, he ought to open up the Supercharging station to the public. Tesla vehicles can have the priority, and I wouldn't mind paying for the electricity. With the 200+ range, we can get some serious e-miles in.

No, the i MiEV has a Cd of ~0.36 and the Bolt EV is ~0.32 - which are significantly different.

saw a post somewhere stating that the 0.32 for the BoltEV was a GM estimate and GM never actually measured the final number. Apparently the highway range is better than expected. I also just noticed while installing the front license plate that there is active front grill louvers, supposedly closed when cooling is not needed to improve aero. Our Volt also has the active louvers but I rarely see them closed.

Chevy has a Bolt at the Pittsburgh Auto Show. I stopped by yesterday to check it out. Size and interior space and feel are nearly identical to the i-MiEV. Rear cargo room looks to be bigger with the seats up, but I doubt the rear seats will go totally flat when folded down.

I snapped a few pictures, but it was tough as it had the largest crowd at the Chevy booth :D . Times are changing.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vqdjk7zs3v7lr6w/AAANu6qO4PxMZrJxNEUbt3PAa?dl=0

Stopped by the Chevy dealer for another test drive of the BoltEV, specifically to try out the regeneration. In a nutshell, it's fantastic! In D it has creep, but using the paddle you can bring it to a complete stop. In L it has no creep, and fully releasing the accelerator will also bring it to a complete stop. The dealership had at least one row of these things in stock:

BoltEVsDealer.jpg

Phximiev said:
Is that your 'Miev on the left?
Yes, that's Mitti. I went in and was completely up-front with them that all I wanted to do was take a test drive to check out the regen, but the poor saleskid they assigned to me had to go through the whole rigmarole of interrogating me for the usual contact information and "buying cash or credit or lease?", "which options package do I prefer?", "trade-in?", etc. In the end, I think he learned quite a few things about the car and EVs in general. When we came back he had a a list of questions he couldn't answer and to his credit he followed up with an email. For example, one item I wanted to see was a SoC number, but unfortunately Chevy decided to only show a fuel gauge and three superimposed range numbers (max, min, nominal) in miles.

JoeS said:
Phximiev said:
Is that your 'Miev on the left?
Yes, that's Mitti. I went in and was completely up-front with them that all I wanted to do was take a test drive to check out the regen, but the poor saleskid they assigned to me had to go through the whole rigmarole of interrogating me for the usual contact information and "buying cash or credit or lease?", "which options package do I prefer?", "trade-in?", etc. In the end, I think he learned quite a few things about the car and EVs in general. When we came back he had a a list of questions he couldn't answer and to his credit he followed up with an email. For example, one item I wanted to see was a SoC number, but unfortunately Chevy decided to only show a fuel gauge and three superimposed range numbers (max, min, nominal) in miles.

Saw my first Bolt in person today outside of Courtesy Chevrolet in Phoenix, pulled right in front of me and stopped at the light. After pulling up next to it, the folks test driving it expressed their delight with the car. A bright blue color, looked great.

Now its our turn to take a test drive, the question being when.

Back