New owner whooshing sound when charging question

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mfenn45

Ok so I purchased an I Miev through Carmax and then traded for a different that was a higher trim level and $1600 cheaper. Anyway on the 1st when I would initially plug in I would here a whoosh sound. With the new one I hear nothing but all charging indicator lights are on and seems to be charging normally. Should I be concerned that I don't here that "whooshing" sound when I initially plug up?

Did you have CHAdeMO DCQC on the ES you turned back in? Your new one doesn't have it nor the cold-weather package. Either of those options has the fan inside the battery compartment which does a quick purge or self-test for a few seconds whenever you plug the car in.

Here's the thread when we first discovered the differences:

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1508

Edit: I changed the thread title to be more descriptive

Mfenn45 said:
Should I be concerned that I don't here that "whooshing" sound when I initially plug up?
If you can forsee the time in the future when you might need to use the DC Quick Charge feature, then yes, you should probably be concerned, because you don't have that anymore

It appears you might have traded down and not up

Don

To my knowledge neither had the level 3 charging capability as I looked where release lever for that port would be located and neither had it. I can live without the fast charge and will read through the thread where this was discussed before.
Thank you both for your responses.
Overall I like this one much better. Undercarriage looks new whereas other one showed corrosion. Just needed to be sure there was not as issue with the charging itself as I did hear the whoosh each time I plugged in the 1st Miev I had. FYI, 1st I Miev was a Pennsylvania car so maybe it was equipped with the cold weather package.

It's entirely possible then that your first car had the cold weather package installed and your current one doesn't - That would explain the difference

Don

Back