iMiEV as workhorse

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blackheart said:
How about that? I'm not so great with the way pics are attached in forums!

BINGO- I still can't get the photos to appear in the thread like JoeS does...

One accessory we could use for those heavy loads is a sheet of plywood that covers the seatbacks to prevent penetration of the thin fabric or bending of the seat frames/springs. I'm picturing one that includes a piano hinge (or heavy fabric fastened to both sides) so as to fit in the back with the seats up but also cover most of the area with the seats down.

jray3 said:
blackheart said:
How about that? I'm not so great with the way pics are attached in forums!

BINGO- I still can't get the photos to appear in the thread like JoeS does...

How does he do that?

Yeah, as I am living with the car, I am noticing some of the corners cut. I know it probably garnered a few needed lbs for efficiency, and also helped their bottom line, but wow - the car mats that came with the car are more substantial than the carpet, and the seat backs for the back seats are a joke. Why would you not make something with a hard back if you designed it with the layflat option? - So yes, I was very careful how I put the blocks in there - to keep from puncturing the 'seat back'.

How about this -
y3mdh3hBCMucDZhjzUHb6GcoqxKWsQ7Se0fj1OkZles2Mn0Gsbwuz50s80obmN6Ave6UwqFLTxUUnyyNM1n6sQ-avdnZC5CKmdtDMlVnY-5JuyMSSQYch69qmcXVX94jVGPZlYKms_TaUL1P5n3DU3PibjyGq_hZXAJIPo1blFEjtc

y3mRcrGS_0bAnE96kXVehla2mde9mVCdJav7eTwitG6ydgF6rIeAC6S4fot3y3N0cEYxhyBCqpvSbQftNIe-StKm738GOtXa6gLnw1Q6Kfi1cFSDyYUgaExnB15B5BTEez4cmTDaZ0VRUlLyv58QiikLa9qfUubtRNwmXyreM2sH4M

Blackheart, I modified your post by replacing [URL} with on your last photo. May I suggest you go back to your post, shrink the size of your original photos to a width somewhere around 640 pixels at 72dpi and add the [Img].

Blackheart, back on topic, let's not forget that the vehicle's capacity weight (per manual) is 661lbs (300kg). The i-MiEV is a workhorse when it comes to carrying volume, but a workpony when it comes to weight-carrying.

JoeS said:
Blackheart, I modified your post by replacing [URL} with on your last photo. May I suggest you go back to your post, shrink the size of your original photos to a width somewhere around 640 pixels at 72dpi and add the [Img].

Blackheart, back on topic, let's not forget that the vehicle's capacity weight (per manual) is 661lbs (300kg). The i-MiEV is a workhorse when it comes to carrying volume, but a workpony when it comes to weight-carrying.[/quote]

Thanks Joe still learning this forum formatting :-)

I'd never think of trying to haul that much weight on the back of the seats. How did those block not totally destroy the seatbacks?

Just curious though, how did the i-MiEV handle all that weight?

PV1 said:
Just curious though, how did the i-MiEV handle all that weight?

It did just find. It probably rode all the way home on the suspension bumpers. But I was careful, slow accelerate, watch for bumps, plenty of stopping room. Ironically, AFTER I loaded up, I remembered my tire pressure was pretty high :( But other than that - it took it just fine. I actually didn't notice much of a difference on acceleration. I was rather surprised. Since I have only been living with the car for a few months, I still wait for the car to vibrate a little when I turn it on... So I was 'surprised' when I didn't hear more 'engine' noise from pulling the heavier weight. But, like Jray3 has reminded us - they do call it a traction motor for a reason. This 'technology' of electric motor drive is made for torque.
Again, I went really easy with it - but other than the ride (which wasn't terrible, but you could tell it was maxed out) you really didn't notice it much.

I finally got around to purchasing the Thule roof rack foot kit, I stayed with the old rectangular style because I have many accessories for that profile. However, the wind noise is amazingly loud, and the range penalty is quite noticeable. I wonder what went wrong?
IMG_1211%5B1%5D.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2g9j3wyivykssk/IMG_1211%5B1%5D.JPG?dl=0
AADk3WO2X4884m1aqbj32gq-a

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/7eov0ijkl4e14j2/AADk3WO2X4884m1aqbj32gq-a

jray3 said:
I finally got around to purchasing the Thule roof rack foot kit, I stayed with the old rectangular style because I have many accessories for that profile. However, the wind noise is amazingly loud, and the range penalty is quite noticeable. I wonder what went wrong?

Put any or all of it on a nice narrow trailer and you won't know you are hauling it. Except for backing up or parking ;) Range hit is almost unnoticeable hauling low profile items on my trailer. Even better, brought home a new extra large capacity clothes washer on the "flatbed" hitch receiver cargo rack a few weeks ago. Haul eGO electric scooters on it too, 160lbs with batteries. All in the cars wake and no discernible range hit whatsoever :D

Aerowhatt

Aerowhatt said:
Put any or all of it on a nice narrow trailer and you won't know you are hauling it.
Aerowhatt

Sorry, I forgot to include the irony emoticon. ;)
With the long canoe, rooftopping was simpler than wagging a long tail on my short trailer, which I also enjoy using.
But for scratchy loads like say, the Christmas tree, trailering is where we're at!

I tried, but no matter what I did, a 60-cell solar panel just won't fit in the i-MiEV. It won't fit in the C-Max either. But, it will fit in a LEAF, barely.

My friend had a damaged solar panel, and offered it to me to see if I could repair it. I ended up borrowing his car to bring it home.

(Sorry I didn't get a picture, it was rather dark last night.)

PV1 said:
I tried, but no matter what I did, a 60-cell solar panel just won't fit in the i-MiEV. It won't fit in the C-Max either. But, it will fit in a LEAF, barely. My friend had a damaged solar panel, and offered it to me to see if I could repair it. I ended up borrowing his car to bring it home.
Oh, the shame and embarrassment! :( :p There's always the roof...

An aluminum trailer-hitch cargo carrier seems like a good idea at first glance for those odd sizes, but securing a tall item could be a problem. Would use it so rarely that I personally couldn't justify it. These go on sale often:

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-aluminum-cargo-carrier-92655.html

Well, the hitch is on the Christmas list, so we'll see ;) . I might be buying a hitch box to use for shows (store everything in it to keep the interior clean).

Likely wouldn't have helped with the panel anyway. With the glass shattered (but held in place by adhesive), the panel didn't have any strength to prevent flexing. It was too wide to lay flat, otherwise the i-MiEV could've handled it.

On the plus side, my folding eBike and 85 watt solar trailer fit perfectly, and leave both front seats usable by adults.

Both cars will be getting a workout tomorrow, hauling A/V equipment for my work's Christmas Party. It'll all fit in one car, but two round trips in rapid succession is beyond the range for one car. I've done it before, but it required opportunity charging while loading and unloading at the office, and crawling home the last 10 miles. Not fun at 1 AM and 10 F.

JoeS said:
An aluminum trailer-hitch cargo carrier seems like a good idea at first glance for those odd sizes, but securing a tall item could be a problem. Would use it so rarely that I personally couldn't justify it. These go on sale often:

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-aluminum-cargo-carrier-92655.html

I have two for different purposes. The shallower steel unit with an aluminum tool box mounted on it. Also, a deeper aluminum flatbed unit that is set up to carry 4 bicycles or two electric scooters. Also carries just about anything else under or around 200Lb's. Like a new large clothes washing machine ;) Certain lt's no problem tying down tall items with your background as a sailor JoeS :)

Aerowhatt

Recently a neighbor asked if I could help haul over a sofa she bought. Easy-peasy :)
At first I didn't think it would be possible - but with a little thought it worked quite well actually. I have the Eco-hitch on my vehicle, and it's proven to be very useful a number of times. I can pull a trailer, or use a cargo carrier, or a bike rack. This time I used my cargo carrier from Harbor Freight, placed a pallet on top, and strapped the sofa onto it. Was very secure.

sofa.jpg

That picture makes me less worried about the cantilevered weight of a rack and a 50 lb. eBike (though I personally would've went the trailer route ;) ).

I got the EcoHitch for Christmas and hopefully will get it installed today. Next step is to find our bike rack, straps, and locks.

johnr said:
Recently a neighbor asked if I could help haul over a sofa she bought. Easy-peasy :)
Was very secure.
sofa.jpg
Surely that sofa has some occupants pictured in your private collection?! MR BEAN would need christening with a beer after that haul.

Although it's not a demanding task, I picked up a new Thule bike rack yesterday. I'm going to Pittsburgh for a bike ride with some friends, so I'm finally making use of my "accessory" hitch.

I went for a quick test drive around the block last night, and only felt a little extra tug at the back when going over a drop in the pavement. Other than that, didn't even know it was back there, and my eBike weighs 50 lbs.

Attachments

• 6B4006E0-0C4C-4FB8-94A8-D3F00A8F826E.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 5,089
Back