Maximum Range Remaining

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I set a personal best the other day of 91 miles, beating my old record of 90 miles.

I feel the new battery had an influence. I've noticed that my average starting RR has increased from low to mid 70's to high 70's to low 80's.

I just saw my personal best of 129 km (80 miles) this morning. I hadn't been trying or anything. In fact I just drove a 240km (150 mile) trip yesterday and just did two casual two hour charges when I got back (the outlet I'm using has a two hour timer). My C-Zero is a 2011 with close to 20.000 km (12400 miles) on it, which I've driven half of in the last 9 months which I've had the car.

My personal best, the highest world value ever (but not the only one to get it) is 175 km (109 miles).

Now, I only can get something like 130 km maximum (81 miles). I think, to get the best value you can get, you have do drive the last 20 km at less then 100 Wh/km.

Uhh. Not good. Only 133 km. :( I think I'll need to figure out if Citroën battery guarantee cover less than 80% capacity...

jsantala said:
Uhh. Not good. Only 133 km. :( ...
133km=82.6 miles, not bad considering that's over 30% better than the 'official' EPA rating in the US :roll:
Just a reminder to everyone: be sure to snap a photograph of the RR display when you beat the current record of 109 miles (175.4 km).

Malm said:
I think it's impossible to get more then 109 miles. It's the upper limit.
I think if you lived on top of a mountain and you drove slowly all downhill for a single charge you might see 200 miles RR when you recharged - You could certainly go 200 miles on one charge under those circumstances

Don

I think Jray3 may have the best chance of seeing the upper limit of the RR calculator with his pusher trailer. 15-20 miles and only pulling .4 kW from the battery, and that is just the idle consumption of the electronics. I think it would be quite difficult to find a 15 mile stretch of road that is all downhill. Pike's Peak maybe?

I still think the formula that the car uses to get the mRR, have a maximum value, and that is 109 miles. For that, your car should be able to use the maximum capacity (close to 16 kWh), temperatures in the battery should be over 25°C, and you have to do the last 20 km at less then 100 wh/km.

It's very difficult for most of you to get that number, because the car, even when it's new, don't use all capacity avaliable.

New personal record of 96 miles RR :mrgreen: . I was honestly surprised by this as the previous 15 miles included driving through very heavy rain, sitting in a parking lot for half an hour with the A/C on MAX, and some highway driving, all with A/C on. The only thing I can figure is rolling resistance is very low above 90 F (as I've been getting almost 4.5 miles/kWh measured at the wall these last couple of weeks).

Pic to prove it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lwf4e5kx7mkp7y/IMG_20160813_222632.jpg?dl=0

PV1 said:
New personal record of 96 miles...
At 155km it looks great to me!
Malm said:
Still far from the 109 miles record, or the maximum number that the display can show you - 175 in km. Only that number will impress me. :)
Aw, Malm, give the guy a break, and it is certainly one of the better recent RR postings - and on a pack that's over a year old. :mrgreen: You've identified that limit previously, how do you know it is 175km (109 miles), other than being unable to beat it yourself? :p

Only two, that we know about, reached that number. In hundreds of users, only two reached over 170 km, and both stopped at 175 km (seems the odds are in my favor). I believe for these two guys the car offered the possibility of using all the energy from 4,105V to 2,750V lower cell voltage, when the car was in the beginning of its life. For all the other users, when new, the car will stop at 3,6/3,5V lower cell voltage, so no way it will let you get 175 km of mRR. Maybe one of these days appears a new guy in the block, but for now it appears no one has a special i-MiEV like us. Yes, I believe you need a special i-MiEV to reach 175 km, and there are two possibilities: the inicial capacity is stated to get the 175 km number, by someone who have the knowledge and the means to do that, or the car, after some use, calibrates its capacity to an higher number then the inicial one.
The second happened to me.

So, I'm very confortable that this is the maximum number we can get, and it will be very difficult to see more guys going over 170 km.

I still believe that if you drove it 100 miles down the side of a mountain at 30 mph starting at say 15,000 feet and ending at sea level you would wind up with an RR of at least 150 or 175 miles after a full recharge

NONE of the really high reported RR's impress me very much because we all know what gives you really high and/or really low RR numbers and how to get them . . . . But PV1's 96 miles in what appears to be normal, everyday driving and with the A/C on all the time is certainly the most impressive number I've ever read about here on the forum, bar none! Way to go!!

Don

Thanks, Don!

I'm still curious on the algorithms used to calculate the RR values. We know the factors that alter it, and we also know that activating heat or A/C changes the RR reading, but I'm still wondering if there would be a difference if one drove the exact same 15 miles, once with A/C on, and once with it off. It must be keeping A/C usage separate from motive power, so that even if you do drive the last 15 miles with heavy HVAC usage (like I did), it will ignore that when giving you a reading with the HVAC off (as it was when I started the car after charging) and only consider 12v and motive power consumption.

The i-MiEV continues to amaze.

Don said:
I still believe that if you drove it 100 miles down the side of a mountain at 30 mph starting at say 15,000 feet and ending at sea level you would wind up with an RR of at least 150 or 175 miles after a full recharge

NONE of the really high reported RR's impress me very much because we all know what gives you really high and/or really low RR numbers and how to get them . . . . But PV1's 96 miles in what appears to be normal, everyday driving and with the A/C on all the time is certainly the most impressive number I've ever read about here on the forum, bar none! Way to go!!

Don

They speak, speak, speak and just see they doing nothing. If you want to have a number that deserves attention, make it 109 miles.

I agree with the AC part, prior days AC usage has no impact on the next days beginning value. It instantly changes the reading as you turn it on or off but is a separate item.

Back