What Are Electric Car Owners Paying to Charge Their Cars?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veimi

What Are Electric Car Owners Paying to Charge Their Cars?

I live in Toronto, Canada.

My monthly household electricity bill includes a $26 CDN meter charge as well as delivery and time of day charges.

If I charge between 7 p.m. and 7.a.m or on weekends the marginal kwh rate is 15 cents CDN per kwh.

If I charge at peak times the marginal rate is 26 cents CDN per kwh.

For a 16 kwh full charge and ignoring losses, a full charge will cost between $2.40 and $4.16 CDN.

A Canadian dollar is worth 76 cents U.S. which means for a 16 kwh full charge and ignoring losses, a full charge will cost between $1.82 and $3.16 U.S.

I am curious to see what others are paying.

Our rate here 24/7 is 11 cents per Kwh, so a 15 Kw charge which takes me about 70 miles is about $1.65

Don

14 cents per kw + or - 1 cent. No peak or off peak differential. Probably adds up to $30 or so a month but I can't really say it was detectable so far in my bill. all electric house, peak summer and winter usage can touch or exceed 3,000 kw so a couple hundred extra is not obvious.

We charge at night mostly and have a split plan. Its 9¢ per kilowatt from 9 p.m. To 9 a.m. We run about 1/2 pack per day so 72¢ or so per day to charge.

Phoenix is even more of an A/C intensive area than here where we are - I'm curious as to what your daytime rates are?

Don

Thanks for all your inputs. Keep em comin! It would be interesting to hear from any European and Japanese drivers.

I wanted to point our one other thing.

Where I live, the peak rate is published as 18 cents per kwh. The reality is that with delivery and overhead the marginal peak rate comes out to 26 cents per kwh.

Similarly, the lowest rate is published as 8.7 cents per kwh. The marginal lowest rate is actually 15 cents per kwh.

Because of the $26 monthly meter charge and delivery charges, if you charged you car once a month from a dedicated meter or an empty warehouse that had electrical outlets yet used no electricity, it would cost you $26 + $2.40 = $28.40 for that single charge.

Don said:
Phoenix is even more of an A/C intensive area than here where we are - I'm curious as to what your daytime rates are?

Don

We run 12¢ per during the day. And of course we get loaded with taxes and fees on top of that.

There are other plans with different rate. Ours is an older grandfathered one.

I do 98-99% of my charging on the chargepoint EVSEs provided by Austin Energy. (One of them is less than half a mile from my house.)

I have never been billed by chargepoint. I give Austin Energy $25 every 6 months ($50 / year) for an all-you-can-eat electric buffet.

I've been doing this for two years now. I don't drive much -- only around 4500 miles/year, so the annual average 1050 KWH electricity I have used costs me around 4.8 cents / KWH, or 1.1 cents / mile.

When I lived in Illionis (Springfield area) they had complicated system; a lot of taxes and fees and that changes again afer 300kWHrs is hit. I couldn’t follow it. So I just looked at my total monthly kWhr and total bill and it seems to always divide to 8.7¢/kWhr. We paid about $100/month. Most of that was air conditioning and heating.

Here in Idaho Falls we’re on hydro and surprisingly they lowered our rates last year to a flat 5.25¢/kWhr. That includes all taxes and fees. Basically we go 1000 miles/month and our electric bill has gone up from $30/month to $42/month (yearly average) when we bought the car. Our house seems to be way more efficient than our Illinois house; and thus we have lower bills
At these kind of electric rates, that’s why I bought an electric car. My wife drives it way more than me because it’s easier to drive than the prius and she likes charging at home rather than gassing up at the station.

I love hydro power.
-Barry

I'm at 9.9 cents/kWh, but this past year produced more solar kWh than the car consumed at home, so the car drove for "free", plus a 35 cents/kWh production incentive from my utility.
However, I use a lot of public L2 charging at $0.39/kWh, and several fast charges per month at $0.49/kWh, which usually adds up to less than $3/session and about $30/month spent on public charging.

My utility rate ends up being about 10 cents/kWh with all the fees (generation rate is 7 cents/kWh), but with only having 1-2 bills a year with the solar taking care of the rest, the car drives pretty much for free. We wouldn't have a bill at all if we didn't have a hot tub, but I might be expanding solar generation a bit more with a pergola/solar canopy on the back patio with 3 kW of solar. That should get rid of those last two bills and leave us with only a $6/month line fee year-round. This newer system will be Tesla Powerwall compatible, which can be added after the fact.

We went from an average $150/month to 10 months of $6/month and 2 months of $20-30 each with solar. Before solar, the car added about $15/month to the bill.

I have an all-electric house, which was all the rage when I built it in the mid-70's. No natural gas up here, and propane is very expensive. In central and northern California, the monopoly for-profit utility is Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E), except for a number of cities that have opted-out. Earlier this year PG&E eliminated a Time Of Use (TOU) Schedule (E-7) that had been quite advantageous to us solar owners.Their present most-advantageous (I'm told) schedule is E-6, convoluted by time-of-day varying hours (something they call Peak, Off-Peak, and Partial Peak), which is different weekdays and weekends, further convoluted by a Tier system based on kWh consumed or generated, and finally further convoluted by their being tied to pre-2006 Daylight Savings Time (I found that out the hard way).

Need a cheat-sheet to know when to do the laundry or charge the car or even turn on the hot water heater (it now needs more than the simple Intermatic mechanical timer).

What used to be a nice rate structure (less than 10¢/kWh Off-Peak) now ranges from an Off-Peak minimum of 15¢/kWh going up to 56¢/kWh if I use over 200% of their "baseline". The lowest rate for charging between 1pm and 7pm is 34¢/kWh. Add to that, they doubled the monthly connection fee which they call a "Minimum Delivery Charge" to 33¢/day. Oh, and this 'advantageous' TOU E-6 schedule is closed to new users. I haven't dared look at the alternatives...

Here's PG&E's current Schedule E-6:
http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-6.pdf

With solar, the charges are accumulated over the course of a year. At their annual "True-Up" time, if I owe them money I write them a check; if they owe me money, they zero it out. For me, over the last ten years they have zeroed out about $3,000. :evil:

Even though I have managed to beat them (sometimes barely) and not had an annual electric bill for over ten years due to my ground-mounted and rooftop solar (now around 11kW ac), this latest rate structure I'm afraid is going to screw me. I'm slowly working on my trailer-mounted solar-powered massive battery-pack 'PowerWall', into which I also hope to eventually incorporate all the electric cars I have lying around here. I'll spend any amount of money not to have a utility bill. :twisted:

This is still good - businesses that are subjected to a E-19 Demand Rate schedule can pay a peak $18.74/kWh. You read that right - it is dollars and not cents! I wonder if Tesla's SuperChargers are being hit by this?
Ref:http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-19.pdf

</rant>

OUCH! :shock: :cry: That makes us over here in ex-coal (now natural gas) country sound petty over a .5 cent rate increase. :lol:

Sounds familiar. I've yet to receive a check from the utility for banked kWh credits. Probably only a total of about $30 at their "wholesale" rate over the last two energy years, but still.

Is there much variation in your solar output through the year? Even though you likely use more energy than we do, you could probably go off-grid with battery storage easier than I could. Because of both decreased solar output and increased usage, I'd need a MWh of storage to float through the winter, and that's with wood/propane heat and propane hot water and cooking. I have no idea what uses so much electricity in the winter. Christmas lights and nearly all interior lights are LED. The car only uses 40 kWh more each month, mostly due to pre-heating.

Probably not covered by this thread, but check out what WK057 did for home power on TMC:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/plan-off-grid-solar-with-a-model-s-battery-pack-at-the-heart.34531/page-33

His system is sized for worst-case scenario, so that's why it seems oversized. It even extends to a modified Tesla HPWC (high power wall connector) that controls charging rate based on solar output, though it may be in a different thread.

They upped my parking in the garage at work from $15 to $25 a Month (due to that shitty pushy PHEV that caused trouble).

SO I only really charge at work. :D PLUS, I get the added benefit of having my OWN parking spot AND out of the sun/rain/snow ;) if I didn't have my own spot I would have to pay $15 a month to park in the garage or free outside in the elements.... not.

So... other then the Solar people, does that mean I win ??? Because I really only pay $10 extra for the electric/spot at work ????

I am on Vacation this week. I did get to charge at work since Wed I had Dr appts at the Hospital for my daughter and got 4 bars.
I had run a couple errands in my Truck and only actually charged the 'i' at home last night just in case I feel like tooling around :lol:
I have no idea what I pay in electric at home since I only charge at work.

My all-in kwh cost this month was 13.32 cents per kwh which should be the high point for the year, rate is a bit higher in summer vs. winter. All electric house, $433 for 3,250 kilowatt hours.

mdbuilder said:
..All electric house, $433 for 3,250 kilowatt hours.
OMG, at over 100kWh/day you should be a great candidate for solar PV (and solar hot water?) as your amortization time period would be short. Do you have a tiered structure, as even partial supplementation with solar would knock down a couple of tiers, resulting in a MUCH lower bill even if you don't zero it out? Does your state offer any PV incentives (in addition to Federal)?

Back