Reviving Non-Op UK Auction Sibling

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mitsubishi have given their verdict, reading's for capacitor and resistor OK, likewise contactor.
They think it is a faulty motor control unit. Mitsubishi price £5000! Citroen only £2500.
Any help finding a second hand MCU greatly appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-POWER-CONTROL-UNIT-MITSUBISHI-I-MIEV-11-12-13-14-15-16-MOTOR-9410A092-/282056448870?hash=item41abdfdb66:g:IcEAAOSwgn5XEjSJ&vxp=mtr

Thanks mdbuilder, that was the only one I have seen at a price that makes repairing the car viable. Unfortunately I was too late when I tried to buy it.
Have a lot more confidences in the diagnosis now I have noticed on the forum the recall of US model imiev's to replace the faulty MCU's made in 2012.
Europe missing out on customer care?

Easycarex said:
Thanks mdbuilder, that was the only one I have seen at a price that makes repairing the car viable. Unfortunately I was too late when I tried to buy it.
Have a lot more confidences in the diagnosis now I have noticed on the forum the recall of US model imiev's to replace the faulty MCU's made in 2012.
Europe missing out on customer care?

There was a recall in the UK on the MCU for the i-MiEV:

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=5453A311769CBC9180257E960033FAA5&freeText=Blank&tx=

Going to check the VIN number, only 20 Citroens affected but manufacturing date fits.
Thanks for the help.

Both cars made a year before the recall.
Richard tried the imiev MCU in the Citroen C0, but it would not allow him to match it with the ECU code. Tried changing both but no joy.
Was only getting a code mismatch error message, don't know if that means the P1A15 high voltage fault has gone. So not further on.
Have refitted the MCU back in my imiev, heart stopping moment when it wouldn't come to ready, but switching off and the ignition waiting 20 seconds and it came OK.

That sounds like the MCU is also VIN-encoded :evil: . Unfortunately, each part can only be VIN flashed once. That means that either the entire electrical system needs transplanted to revive a car or use new parts.

My second i-MiEV, Koorz, wouldn't go READY after its first full charge after purchase. At first I thought it was still plugged in, but it wasn't. Had to turn the key off for a few seconds, then it worked. It must be one of those random quirks. The adrenaline boost certainly wakes one up, though :lol: . That would've sucked if it didn't start, as Bear was unavailable for some reason (can't remember, but I think it wasn't charged).

Does the code reader only show one code at a time, or will it show all active codes? What I mean is, if you get one code to go away, does a new one pop up?

i'm thinking that the 20 seconds delay was due to the charge up time for the big monster capacitor in the MCU--the voltage won't stabilize until the in-rush current quits flowing. i don't recall the precharge resistance but the controller probably waits 3 to 6 times the R*C constant.

How many components would have to be swapped to avoid the "code mismatch" coming up
Obviously the ECU, maybe the charger, probably the battery pack?

Back