Canion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xavier,
Yes, I believe that Canion is operating fine. But I cannot figure out why I am having such an issue with either keeping my BT connection, or re-connecting after it is lost.
Thank you

@blackheart
I am sorry: But BT links are capricious depending on devices...

This project was started be myself and Martin, for free and without any warranty it would work for everybody and any android devices....

Xavier - I think you have done a wonderful job. The information from the app is fantastic. I just wish I could get my devices to stay connected so I can start building a log.
Thank you so much for the application. I have just returned from holiday and will be sending some $$ your way in appreciation for your work - even if I can't keep my devices connected to the BT dongle ;-)

priusfan said:
@blackheart
I am sorry: But BT links are capricious depending on devices...

This project was started be myself and Martin, for free and without any warranty it would work for everybody and any android devices....

Canion is a wonderful app that has given me very much insight into the lives of the batteries.

I also have/had problems with BT. When driving it could sometime stop working and was hard to pair again. Almost always when the car was turned off and the Canion was still on, the BT connection stopped working.

I now have tried to turn off a number of Canion panels. Basically I am only interested in Battery Voltage. This has helped and 1000 km has elapsed without any disconnect.

My personal theory is that there is Canion overload that causes the problems. I used to delete the BTCAN folder and that also helped for some time

I have tried the Galaxy S3 phone, and it seems to stay connected - much better than the S4. I also make sure I exit properly from Canion before the car/connection shuts off. That seems to make things much easier when I reconnect again.

I am going to try and automate using the "Automate" app from Llama Labs. Has anyone had any success with this? I am sure I will figure it out. Just haven't had the time to play with it.

Also, can some folks help me out with some of the 'tell tale' signs that I am looking for in battery health? Temperature range (F°), low voltage or high voltage (%), etc.

And lastly, is there a way for the Canion to stay on while I charge and the ignition is off? Please advise.
Thanks!!!
rm

Hello!

Release 138 is out now. There is a new panel "my Trip Timer 2" - a clone from panel "my Trip Timer". So your are able to arrange f.e. interesting data for driving and loading. Panel "Altitude History" shows now also altitude difference. Altitude difference is also available to panels "my Trip Timer"/"my Trip Timer 2".

01.png

02.png

09.png

Altitude difference is higher as estimated by me, even on looking panel "Altitude History".

Martin

Martin - thank you for this latest upgrade and looking forward to trying it out when I get home, as where I live altitude changes have a significant impact on range.

(Currently touring the US in a Tesla and it's interesting to note that Tesla's range prediction algorithm is incredibly accurate - their predictive graph readily shows at what point in the trip the consumption will increase or decrease as a function of elevation changes.)

Great Job Martin.... ;)
I wonder if it is possible to have Charging DC Volts and Charging DC Amp when we charge in CHAdeMo ?
So the MyTrip Timer 2 woulb be perfect !!

Palm35 said:
I wonder if it is possible to have Charging DC Volts and Charging DC Amp when we charge in CHAdeMo ?
The battery volts and amps on the left side panel are pretty close to what the CHAdeMO unit puts out.

It would be cool if CaniOn can detect charging from both AC and DC sources and count the Wh separate from Wh Regen.

OVMS is able to detect when charging from either and displays "Standard 16A" from AC and "Standard 125A" from DC. It doesn't show live voltage and amperage for DC like it does for AC, but it knows that the car is charging from CHAdeMO.

I'll have to try out 138. I'm still on 137, which is remarkably stable.

Maybe Canion already shows it )I have updated to 138 but I am still new to the Imiev and Canion), but it would be nice to not only have the Wh Out summary and the Wh Reg(regen) as totals for the trip, but also show the Wh Out-regen. I know I can do the math, but still think it would be nice.
Also might be a known issue, but even though my units are set to MPH, the units on GPS mph and GPS Alt still seem to be in metric units.
I drive to work at about 60 and the GPS mph shows 100.
I do like seeing the mi/kWh summary. I noticed today in the fine print on the side (at least with my eyes it is fine print on my S3) the actual mi/kWh read out. Really helps knowing how 'hard' to push on hills and how much power I am drawing a certain speeds for certain inclines.

Overall - love my Imiev and so thankful for Canion!!

The metric GPS issue was brought up previously, and I believe that is still a limitation of how Android reports those values to the app.

The Mi./kWh (or Wh/mi., depending on your preference settings) show instantaneous values on the left side panel. It's nice to be able to see current efficiency against the trip average and know if you are improving or getting more power hungry.

blackheart said:
Also might be a known issue, but even though my units are set to MPH, the units on GPS mph and GPS Alt still seem to be in metric units.
I drive to work at about 60 and the GPS mph shows 100.
Hello!

Please add a file named GpsSpeed2miles.txt to folder /sdcard/BT_CAN to solve this issue.

Martin

I would love to get this to work with my 2012 I-MiEV. I have downloaded this to my smart phone. What do I need to connect to car ? Please help me.

allsmiles277 said:
I would love to get this to work with my 2012 I-MiEV. I have downloaded this to my smart phone. What do I need to connect to car ? Please help me.

I got this one - https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-lxbt/
and it works great!! I just have older smart phones. It drops out on my Galaxy S4, so I used my girlfriends old S3 and it stays connected pretty well.

Good luck!!

I have and Lx and it was not working well for me, I actually have an Mx coming tonight in the mail. I suspect my problem is the data rate is so high that you can not do Canion + BT music at the same time. Not sure if the Mx will help with that or not...

mdbuilder said:
I have and Lx and it was not working well for me, I actually have an Mx coming tonight in the mail. I suspect my problem is the data rate is so high that you can not do Canion + BT music at the same time. Not sure if the Mx will help with that or not...

Much earlier in the thread Xavier posted that the LX worked fine. That is what led me to get it. But Like I said, I was having issues keeping it connected to my phone. I found that it was more my phone than the LX.
But hopefully the MX will work for you - let us know!!

Bluetooth music takes a lot of bandwidth. My Droid Turbo can handle doing both music and CaniOn, but the connection is more stable with only CaniOn running, especially after disabling the Cockpit view.

The only thing I have to watch is that if the car is off (usually after a quick charge), the pairing gets screwed up and the radio prompts for pairing. I have to close CaniOn or EVBatMon right when quick charging finishes or things get messed up. I believe it is an issue with my head unit, as the phones don't usually do this.

My Newsmy NU3001 head unit works pretty well with my MX as long as WiFi is turned off. I still can't understand why the FCC put Bluetooth and WiFi so close together in the spectrum. Nearly every device I own has issues with both being on at the same time.

Back