Power Generation and Environment

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Kuuurija, what you're saying is that we should stop using electricity completely and go back to what, steam power perhaps?

The advent of electricity for lighting has saved many lives - Using open flames for lighting was definitely more dangerous

Does anyone else find it odd that someone from the country generating the dirtiest electricity in the world presumes to educate the rest of us as to how bad electricity is? He needs a more 'local' soapbox :lol:

Don

Kuuuurija said:
Don said:
How many lives have been lost in the USA in association with nuclear power generation over the past 50 years?? Very, very few. Compare that to the number of coal miners and oil rig workers who have died while harvesting those forms of energy
Many, many, many people have been killed by electricity! I am sure, that the number is bigger than of casualties from coal mining and oil pumping.
As usual, when asked a specific question, you choose not to answer that, but give an answer to a completely different question, one which wasn't even asked

I'm quite sure the number of lives lost to all electrical accidents is miniscule when compared to the number of lives electrical devices have saved

Don

CO2 is a pure natural thing, elementary part of nature and natural cycles. Without CO2 life was not possible, as plants need it for photosyntesis.
Dirtiest electricity is produced in nuclear reactors.
Man made climate change is a fairy tale for making big money for some agencies and scientists. Resent NASA studies show that ice cover is growing in Antarctics.

Sorry, Don, I did not notice, that you asked something. What was the question?

Kuuuurija said:
CO2 is a pure natural thing, elementary part of nature and natural cycles. Without CO2 life was not possible, as plants need it for photosyntesis.
Agree, but too much of anything is bad.

Dirtiest electricity is produced in nuclear reactors.
Questionable. I haven't done enough research to properly answer this point.

Man made climate change is a fairy tale for making big money for some agencies and scientists. Resent NASA studies show that ice cover is growing in Antarctics.
Researched this. Ice is growing in certain parts of the Antarctic, mainly inland Antarctica due to snowfall. Ice around the edges hasn't been discussed, and the last I heard, was melting. Remember, Antarctica is starting to come out of winter at this point in the year, for what it's worth.

As for climate change, the way I see it, there has been a steady rhythm in the Earth's atmosphere for at least the last 650,000 years. Atmospheric CO2 levels slowly climb to roughly 280-295 ppm, at which point feedback loops start to intervene and trigger a dramatic cooldown, or ice age. During the ice age, atmospheric CO2 levels drop to below 200 ppm. The cycle repeats. What humans have done as far as climate change is rapidly accelerated this process, taking the tipping point from a period of a few thousand years down to who knows how many years, possibly as few as 50 years if not less.

For a process to not exceed 300 ppm atmospheric CO2 for better than half a millennia, sounds to me like CO2 should be pretty stable in the atmosphere. In the last 100+ years, humans have taken it to 400 ppm. Logic dictates that there will be some consequences to this action.

Don said:
How many lives have been lost in the USA in association with nuclear power generation over the past 50 years??

About the ice:
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...s-of-antarctic-ice-sheet-greater-than-losses/
Don said:
How many lives have been lost in the USA in association with nuclear power generation over the past 50 years??
Thought that this was a rhetorical question, as you already provided an answer (I am not sure if it is the correct one, though).
Anyway, you should know statistics of your country better than me. I know only, that the victims of nuclear disasters and accidents are often counted as regular deaths, because it is not clear if the fatal cancer or other fatal disease was caused by the nuclear disaster or was this a regular illness. Minor accidents and their victims are often kept in secret too. Nobody knows how much shorter is the life expectancy of workers of nuclear plants compared with the average of the whole population.

Right.
And that is why you disparage an entire industry based on information you freely admit you do not know.
Sounds 'fair and balanced' to me.

I know, that in the World there are millions of nuclear victims. Thousands of hectares of the Earth surface is rendered unhabitable because of radioactive pollution. And for centuries if not much longer. Mankind has not been seriously faced with nuclear waste problem yet. Too many unknown factors. Of course this is not an argument for those, who judge things about visible smoke from the car...

The energy from the Sun is so "clean", that if the magnetic field of the Earth was not there to protect us from that energy, we would all be dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back