Car accident

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phximiev

Well, my wife and I are not happy. Whilst coming home Sunday evening, another (inattentive) driver rear-ended our iMiev rendering it undrivable. The rear "bumper" is pushed against the tires and I can't tell what else is damaged. I was driving alone and appear now to be ok, but rather shaken. It was quite a slam.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might go wrong with the drive train in such circumstances, if anything?

I will pass any ideas to the body shop, which is a company owned by or related to Mark Mitsubishi.

Sorry to hear that. How bad is the rear hatch damaged? I would think the drive train would be okay, but that depends on how much the rear was pushed in.

Hope everyone is okay.

I didn't try the rear hatch. I expect the body shop to test it tho. Everyone here is ok, but seriously bummed.

If hit that hard (body against rear tires) I would think your car will be totaled. The wreck I bought was a rear ender. What was interesting is that the body deformed more in the area between the motor and the rear seat then in the actual rear of the car. I would pull the rear seat cushion out and look very carefully for anything deformed in that area. Also, remove the rear motor cover (the big black access cover in the rear). Look at the rear tube that "hangs" the motor and the wiring in that area for damage. Also, even if airbags didn't deploy, the "G" switch might have be activated which will make the car undriveable--- can you get a ready light when you try to start the car? If anything is amiss, the car is toast but it did it's job absorbing the energy of the collision and protecting you.

Ok, per the body shop and from inspection of the body and engine, the car can be repaired. Also, there is no damage to the drive train.

The first pic is the back with the damaged fender removed. Note the Budge in the back.

mFRAICY.jpg

The next shows the bracket up against the tire.

fS1EMHA.jpg

The next shows more damage to the bracket attachment. There is similar damage to the bracket attachment on the other side.

ZTT84lU.jpg

The estimate is just over $3k, which includes the replacement of all of the damaged items (plus two new back tires).

The pics seem to show the 'crumple' design, which is forward and low on a rear ender. How this would work in a higher speed collision is a question.

doesn't look that bad after all. Still, make sure they do a through inspection in the rear seat area making sure there is no deformation just inside the rear door frames. That's the weak end of the frame that holds the rear bumper mounts. Should be OK but worth a detailed look :!:

Doesn't look as bad as I was picturing in my mind. The body shop should be able to fix her all up for you.

I've had some close calls. The closest was heading into an event when a guard practically jumped out from behind a bus in front of me to stop me. My parents were following me. Once we both stopped, there could have only been an inch or so between the cars, it was that close. Sometimes, the brakes on the i-MiEV are too good.

I swear cars are magnetic. They seem to be attracted to the motor, with people constantly tailgating my i-MiEV, but I often catch people really quickly in my parent's front wheel drive C-Max. Even when I try to back off, they slow down with me, making it tough to increase following distance.

The suggestion is passed along, other than that, it should be next Friday when we get the car back.

In the meantime, I have been revolted by having to put gas into the Ford Escape that the insurance company got us. I can say this, oil splotches, the stink of gas, and paying for it were enjoyably missed over the last 10 months.

Well, our 'Miev is back and seems to be in great shape. It drives the same as before. We even have two new rear wheels.

The next step is a visit to Mark Mitsubishi to complete the recall stuff and test everything.

Hopefully, all will be back to normal.

Glad to hear that. One of the first i-MiEVs in a collision that wasn't considered totalled. That is the trouble with having a low sell car like this, needing parts like a fender and door cost almost as much as a used i-MiEV. :twisted:

Back