iMiev Dead....again

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plankton

Well almost exactly one year to the day as the last time my iMiev wont "start". Exactly the same symptoms as last time: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2292

I just got it back from getting the A/C support bracket replaced cost $400

i wonder if it is temperature related--i've had that exact symptom happen about 5 or 6 times in the last couple of weeks, in fact it happened today. i've always been able to just cycle the key and restart with no problem.

For me it has always seemed to be when going very slow in a parking lot with the wheels cut sharply and barely moving. i try to park in the shade if possible but it happened twice when the car was in direct sun and had gotten quite hot. Charging has been the usual top up at night and full in the morning, this morning it indicated 83 miles RR, so i haven't thought it was a battery issue.

Also i don't hold the key in start very long, i just blip it over and release, i don't wait to hear the ta-da before releasing--maybe i should...

Any trouble codes would be on the OBD CAN line, but we just don't have the ability to read those with canion, but i would expect an OBD code reader such as at autozone or advance could read out any codes. i'll try to get by my local store sometime this weekend and see if they can read out any stored codes--most of the autoparts stores will do this for free, and of course sell you the parts to fix the issue...

Uh oh, it's happening to me again and this time not resetting.

The weather has shifted cooler over the past couple of days and now i get the 'ready' and start dings, but after a few seconds trying to drive it goes into turtle with RBS and the ' ! ' warning lights. Tried a dozen restarts yesterday to finally reset and drive home, but it did it again this morning first thing, so i just parked it. i just last week got the recall notice about the motor control unit--wonder if that would related.

i will check the 12V battery this evening since it is the OEM and is over 3 years old, i read on one of the threads that a weak 12V could cause issues. Hope that is the case as it would be an easy fix.

The previous incident was earlier in september when the weather was dropping to cooler temps for a few days, so i'm leaning toward a temperature related trigger for this issue. Wish i had a MUT to troubleshoot it using the codes.

i did a thread search for previous incidents by others, but not getting any real hits.

Sorry to hear this Kenny- I'm drawing a blank...again. Our 12V system seems pretty robust. I've used MR BEAN as a rolling booster for the rest of my fleet- jump started the big ol diesel many times. It also does well as a boom box- running the stereo for hours while working on projects. Please keep us informed.

Hmm, I am thinking of seeing if Costco has this small battery in stock and get it. Just in case since my car is a 2012 and I only got it last May.
At least I will know it is NOT the battery if something like this happens

This could be related to the recall. It did say problems with starting, right?

Koorz is under this recall, and when I first got it, it took a couple of tries to start it the first morning I drove it to work. I actually checked to make sure I didn't leave it plugged in :lol: .

KiEV, when the car does finally start, do you notice a large difference in the brightness of the dome/exterior lights? My friend accidentally ran the 12 volt flat when Koorz was at a show, and when we tried to start it, it gave an error in the RR display and made a solid tone. After a quick jump, it started right up, but now has the EV warning light on.

I'd check battery voltage right before and after starting the car. It should be 12.4-12.8 volts before starting and right around 14 when READY.

Kiev,
When the weather turns cooler, do you get higher humidity at the same time?
If so, I would look for condensation in/on some electrical part, that will evaporate, once that part warms up.
Regards,

Back