Charging Concerns in West Virginia

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVEV

I found a great deal on a 2012 iMiev for $8,995 with only 4,400 miles. What a bargain for not having to worry about buying gas. I live in West Virginia, which isn't exactly EV country, what with the hills, mountains and cold winters. So you don't see a ton of these cars on the road. There just isn't the charging infrastructure here like big cities. There is a Nissan dealer in my town, Bridgeport, that has three level 2 charges and one level 3 which is free of charge and available for day or night use. So I'm a happy camper when I'm close to home.

However, if I drive to the next town about 35 miles away, the Nissan dealer there charges a $30 flat fee for a full charge, whether level 2 or 3. There is a Mitsubishi dealer there as well but the chargers are for their electric rentals primarily and only available if they don't need charged (they must charge them overnight anyway). Anyway, I thought $30 for a charge fee sounded outrageously high. Am I wrong? What's the use of having an electric car if you pay that much for a charge when at home you only pay about $2-3 per charge (level 1). What is generally charged at most charging stations? Maybe the dealer quoted me that since I have an iMiev and not a Leaf. Thoughts?

On another topic, how do these cars do in the snow and ice being rear wheel drive? Anyone have one in a winter climate? Also, how doe's the iMiev handle accessories like satellite radios and charging your phone in the car. Are these a problem with using electricity? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

WV isn't the friendliest place for EVs. I bought mine in Morgantown, but I no longer will be going to that dealer since the salesman I bought from left. The experience has declined drastically since he left. A couple of months ago, I took a trip to Morgantown and Cooper's Rock with my parents in the i-MiEV. I called ahead to John Howard Nissan to make sure I could use their quick charger. They said it was fine. We get there, and I get about 10-15 minutes worth of charge and we get chased off by a salesman. Terrible experience. Now, there is a sign on their charger telling people to "Please Pay Inside".

Yes, $30 is outrageous. These cars only take $1-2 worth of electricity for a full charge at residential rates, and I have heard commercial rates are considerably lower, so it shouldn't cost more than 75 cents to charge an i-MiEV fully. Up here around Washington, PA and Pittsburgh, PA, nearly all public charging stations are free. One station I tried to use but was blocked by a Jeep was $1 minimum, 40 cents/kWh. At 40 cents/kWh, a full recharge would have cost $6.40, which is considered gouging by EV'ers around here.

The i-MiEV is absolutely wonderful in the snow. The narrow tires cut right through and bite the road, the low center of gravity keeps the car from leaning, and RWD gives you more traction for climbing hills (weight shifts to the back on every vehicle when going uphill). The ASC (Active Stability Control) is quite sensitive and makes it difficult to lose control. A couple of times, I would go around a slushy/snow-covered turn and try to break it loose. The back end will kick out a bit, then the ASC immediately engages and straightens me back out. Turn off ASC, though, then you can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP0pEBI4Taw

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_KH6hkQ-Y4

You need to consider how you would use the car - Recharging might or might not be a problem. Log your normal driving for a week or so . . . . how far do you go on the trip away from home and how many miles have you gone when you get back home

We have two iMiEV's and we bought the first one more than 3 years ago. Neither car has ever been recharged anywhere but our garage and yet they are what we drive for at least 95% of our trips. We seldom go farther than 35 miles from home and when we do, we have an ICE for those trips, but it languishes in the garage with a trickle charger on it most of the time - We actually have to make up an excuse to get it driven

The iMiEV battery holds about 16,000 watts of electricity - Recharging your cel phone probably takes 3 or 4 watts . . . . less than running the radio in the car ;-)

Don

wmcbrine said:
$30 is completely insane.

The amount of power drawn to charge a phone is negligible.

I thought it sounded completely insane too to charge $30 for a 'fill-up'. It should be considered gouging and criminal since electricity is so cheap. Unfortunately car dealerships have the discretion to charge what they please. I felt like it was a penalty charge for not driving a Leaf, as if it were a deterrent against the public using their charging stations. They don't realize it only hurts them by chasing away potential customers. Thanks for the response.

There is a charger here NRG Evgo that charges $10 for 30 minutes !

I guess there are a few that are just not what we call "EV Friendly"

Back