Maximum Range Remaining

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so here ya go: 103 miles RR.

7063444_orig.jpg

We have consistently been in the high 90s for RR. In some respects our driving style is perfect for an EV: all local, speeds between 35-55 mph, some hills, don't need a/c, charging temps usually around 70F, and we frequently use Eco mode (especially going downhill and when coasting to a stop). In other ways, we're not kind to an EV: a half-mile of dirt road from our house to the main road, one of the two drivers has a lead foot, we often bring along a 90 lb. dog, etc.

Recounts always welcome here ... BYO auditor.

I've been using A/C so my full charge RR has dropped to about 85. Still not bad.

sandange said:
A new personal record 89 miles (143km) on the RR meter this morning
sandange, you're getting there! I just recently saw a posting that stated the RR algorithm uses the last 24km (14.9mi) driven in its calculations. Thus, to achieve a maximum RR reading the person who recharges their car fully after coasting downhill for the last 15 miles will win this contest. :geek:

After topping up I took a real sunday drive in the area. Very very slow acceleration, Like I tried to keep the meter under the "E" in Eco. Speed 40 to 50 KM/hour. All my hypermiling techniques employed. Temp was 24 Deg C and of course everything was off except for the radio (I draw the line at tunes....) Drove 20 KM running errands and then another 20 KM of very slow gentle driveing in the area.

Topped up last night and voila.....
IMG_0624.JPG

Funny thing I noticed while doing this is a lot of the speed limits have been changed from 50 kph to 40 kph in my suburban area. You could get this type of range if you obey the speed limit and accelerate very gently and of course stay off the highway. I could see this car getting really great range in a rural area if you drove it slowly.

Don_D.....

Edited to add image. 9/3/12

Hey there,

I can see us all creapin around the back streets at night to max out this reading on the next charge. Just to see who is the creapiest. (did I just say that).

Just as long as we all agree that nobody tows the car in B mode OK.......

I tried the img format and it did not work. I guess you fixed it. Thanks. I'll edit the message and see what you did to the html to get it to work for my next pic.....

Don_Dakin......

BTW

I just did a 35 KM run to my in-laws with three of us in the car all highway. Stayed 3 and a half hours and did a little level 1 charging, came home A/C on (29 deg C 88 Deg F today) no problems at all. Hit traffic on the way back for about 5 km, still have half a tank of electrons plus a bar. I'm impressed, it's the farthest I drove from home and it felt great, very comfortable. Our other ice car is gathering dust.......

Don......

My RR display is in kilometre
Currently achieving a max of 75km
Even though it's a used car, I can't imagine that even the most reckless driver could cause the RR to drop so low
Can display be programmed to miles?

Sheky said:
My RR display is in kilometre
Currently achieving a max of 75km
Even though it's a used car, I can't imagine that even the most reckless driver could cause the RR to drop so low
Can display be programmed to miles?

Yes, I do believe when you are at the RR meter, you press and hold the display button in until it changes. Do you have the owner's manual with the car?

Another thing you'll want to do is drive the car until you have no more than two bars left on the power gauge. This will reset and recalibrate the computer on board.

75 kmh is very low. Even when I'm using the heat and driving mostly highway I usually have over 100 kilometers in my RR gauge when I have a full Power Gauge. It all depends on how you are driving the car, if you keep the ampmeter in the green zone most of the time and keep your speeds down then you should be able to get your RR back up. If you are doing all these things then I would go and have it checked out by the dealer.

Greetings to everybody.

I have to admit that I have not paid too much attention to the RR after fully charging. Completely agree with JoeS that to win the contest, you better plan driving downhill as much as possible for your last 15 miles before charging. ;) However, that would have nothing to do with the actual maximum range with iMiEV.

Here I would like to report on the outcome of my Max Range Project, that was conducted on two separate occassions this year (2012), in August and early September. I was driving from my home in New Jersey to visit my friend on Long Island (NY). The distance as driven with ICE is 100-105 miles and after routing for the shortest distance, it gave me 89 miles. Several other rules were followed (40 MPH max speed, increased tire pressure, carefull acceleration, etc.) and there were 2 of us in the car. We got stuck in heavy traffic in Brooklyn/Queens in NYC and as fjpod reported on page 5 of this topic, we have experienced some drop of range. Overall, 88.5 miles driven + 4 RR. Vehicle was charged overnight using upgraded EVSE on L1. On the way back, we have taken the expressway (up to 40 MPH). In this case, 93.4 miles driven + 1 RR (turtle).

The second test was with myself only and slightly different destination. On the way there, 92.6 miles driven + 5 RR (total of 97.6 miles !! :D ). Return trip was more complicated as I increased the speed cap to 45 MPH, then was stuck for 1h 43 min in supper heavy traffic when crossing Manhattan (1.3 miles :( ) and last 5-10 miles of my trip was rain :x : 91.2 miles driven + 1 RR (turtle). The project was video taped and is available on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/PWq304cPonM

Thank you,
Stan

Hi Stan, thank you for the nice video demonstrating our iMiEV's readily-achievable range, which I'm sure would have exceeded 100 miles if you had wanted to further stress your battery and kept driving. I would have been interested in knowing what your RR was after you fully charged up the car after each of the four trip legs or what the windstrength and direction (relative to the car) was during each trip. Good for you for having driven what I think is presently the longest recorded single-charge distance for a US-spec iMiEV. :cool:

I will never achieve a high RR reading due to my daily commute of multiple 7 mile runs
Part of this run includes 60 mph driving although I try to keep a max of 50 in low traffic
A steep hill is also part of my daily run
My highest RR reading has only ever been 85, with an actual distance achieved of 58 miles with 13 miles left on RR
Do drivers achieving 100+ RR actually get 100 miles out of their cars?

Back