Another adventure in our Imiev.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkarl89203

Amazing again. An overnight to and all around the Milwaukee Wisconsin area from our home here in Rockford IL and back again. All charging was free, except for what we charged overnight before we left home. 268 miles.
And believe it or not our battery survived. Go figure.
Oh yes, fuel cost total was about $2.60...really love this car.

Wow! Okay, two questions. Well, maybe three... or more.

1. How long did this adventure trek take you?
2. Seriously? Was it really just an over night trip?
3. How did you plan out your route and where any/all the charging stations would be?
4. What kind of charging stations did you use? Were they all Level 3 or level 2?
5. At 268 miles, I would conservatively estimate at least 4 full charging stops. If they were all Level 2 chargers, that would a minimum of 24 hours of charging alone. Not exactly an overnight trip. I assume you must have used Level 3 charge stations for most/all your charge up, which brings me to...
6. Where the hell are all these Level 3 charging stations? I live in the west Chicago suburbs and never once been able to use a Level 3 charger in the 2 years I've owned my Meepster!

Good on you for having the courage and fortitude to embark on such an adventurous trip in your iMiEV! I live in Elgin and have a sister who lives in Rockford. I visit her every once in a while, but I would never consider driving my Meepster out there. I'm afraid I'd never make it back. Or it would take a full weekend of charging just to get there and back!

RobbW: Elgin to Rockford is only 53 miles, and you could charge at your sister's place(?) or one of at least three charging stations there. Piece of cake.
PlugShare is your best friend (be sure to properly enable the app to display your charging stations of interest).
rkarl89203 could you perhaps elaborate your driving/charging regimen during that trip?

Yeah, I know, but Elgin to Rockford is entirely on I90 at interstate speeds. Doubt it would make it there in one charge. Plus, charging at my sister's place would only be L1. I'd have to charge for a full day to "maybe" make it back home. There are a few L2 charging stations in Rockford, but nothing really near anything I'd be willing to spend 6-7 hours while I waited for my Meepster to charge.

Even after two years of iMiEV ownership, I still suffer from a large amount of range anxiety. I will not travel anywhere in my Meepster if I cannot make it back home in one charge, or if there is high likelihood charging spaces will be ICE'd or in use the entire time I will be there. My wife and I have both had separate incidents where we drove somewhere where we would require a charge to make it home. In both cases, we ended up staying in those locations for many more hours than we originally planned because the charging stations were in constant use.

Until the charging network becomes much more extensive near me or I eventually upgrade to a Tesla, my EV will strictly remain my commuting/short errands vehicle.

Gosh Robb, if you live in Elgin and can't easily get to Rockford, you better have the folks at Biggers Mitsubishi check your car out. I drove easily to Biggers for recall work in 14 degree weather. We easily go from Rockford to Elgin and back, recharging at Biggers Mitsubishi.
As far as your questioning our overnight Milwaukee trip, it went his way. Charged overnite here at home in Rockford, had 76 RR. Topped off at Steiners L2 on east side of Rockford. 15 minutes L2. Drove to Elkhorn WI L2. Regenned so well we had 42 RR there. Charged 1 hour at
Elkhorn L2. 56RR. Drove to Brookfield WI L3, Charged to 76 RR. Checked into Quality Inn Brookfield before 230 PM. Did I mention we stopped for lunch? Dinner at Bullwinkle's Sports Bar Brookfield. Then to Fireworks on Milwaukee lakefront, after which we had custard at Kopps.
After breakfast at Christina's in Waukesha, Charged again at Brookfield L3, and went downtown to the Mitchell Park Domes. spent 2 hours there. Topped off at Brookfield L3 and drove to Elkhorn WI. Charged at Elkhorn L2 1.5hours, got home before 6PM.
I have receipt for my meals that are time stamped, and you can check Plugshare to verify that I charged at be Brookfield L3 on both days. I can prove I stayed at Quality Inn at Brookfield too, if you need me to.
look, I cherish this car, and it,s not my fault if after years you still have range anxiety.
But please don't question my truthfulness. We had a darn good time and I am proud.
Good luck but please get your car checked out if you can't easily make it from Elgin to Rockford.

Another thing.
We have been to Great lakes NTC twice, Janesville WI at least 4 Times, Madison WI 3 times, have done the Rockford-Milwaukee-Madison-Rockford loop once, and Elgin at least 3 Times.
A month ago I went to Galena Illinois and back.
I am planning a Route 66 trip, too.

These cars are meant to be enjoyed and used. We did not buy this car to look at it in our driveway.

I wrote the following before rkarl89203 posted his.
RobbW said:
Even after two years of iMiEV ownership, I still suffer from a large amount of range anxiety...
Wow, after two years I would have thought that you would be perfectly comfortable stretching your i-MiEV's legs - especially as it is now summer.

I see that in Illinois the speed limit for trucks is either 55mph or 60mph (they recently raised it??), so tucking in behind one of these should allow you to easily travel the 50 miles to Rockford with lots to spare. When at your sister's, if she doesn't have a dryer outlet, then you could use one of these Quick220 and some extension cords to get your 240vac from a couple different legs of the house's 120vac outlets:
http://www.quick220.com/220_catalog/voltage-converters.html

You did do the EVSEUpgrade.com, didn't you, to enable the Mitsu EVSE to operate on 240vac?

RobbW, do the math: in your scenario, the longest you'd have the car charging from empty at Level 2 is five hours, or, more probably, 3-1/2 if you drove conservatively. Couldn't you park it at a nearby EVSE and have your sister bring you to her house?

Where there's a will, there's a way. :roll:

BTW, rkarl89203, I don't think RobbW was so much challenging your claim as he was perhaps perplexed or bemused by it. Thanks for posting the details, as it gives everyone an insight into the methodology of longer-distance travel in our little workhorse.

Another tip: If you use your Nav GPS in your I-miev you will discover there are MANY ways to get from Elgin to Rockford, where you don't have to use the Toll Road.
If you don't have GPS, Mapquest has a great trip planning section where you can plan many direct ways using State or County highways, or even good secondary roads.
Driving conservatively you will not believe the amount of Regen miles you will get heading east. not so much west, but still plenty of Regen miles.

rkarl89203,

Thank you for all the detail. That is GREAT! As JoeS correctly surmised, I was in no way challenging the validity of your trip. I am merely in awe and bewilderment. First, that our iMiEVs are capable of making such a trip with relative ease. And, second, at your daring and willingness to give it a go!

Yes, I do realize that there are many ways to make it all work. The problem I have with most of the ways is finding a good balance between stretching the range capabilities of my Meepster and maintaining the convenience and happiness of my family and/or any other passengers I may have along for the ride.

Unfortunately, my family is more about the destination than the journey. If we're going somewhere on a trip, we want to get there as quickly as possible so we have as much time as we can get to enjoy the destination. Having to stop for 1.5 hours 2-3 times along the way to top off is not conducive to keeping my young children and wife complacent. Well, unless the L2/L3 chargers happened to be located directly next to an awesome park my kids can play at!

I applaud you for your willingness to take your iMiEV on so many driving adventures, and I also envy your ability to do so. I'm not afforded the luxury of considering my Meepster for longer driving trips, even if there were plentiful chargers along the route. With two adults in the front and two growing children in the back, the seating space in my Meepster is getting cramped. It wasn't too bad when my younger daughter was, well, younger and didn't require any legroom. She's in her car seat behind the driver because that gives me the most legroom since she never really required that much space. However, now's she's 3 and her legs are digging into the back of my seat. I now have to sit with the driver's seat uncomfortably inched forward a few notches to give her enough room. Longer drives would not be very comfortable for me in our current situation. Nor would I wish to risk the ire of my wife and kids by suggesting we spend several hours driving in a cramped EV that has to stop frequently to charge up instead of taking the minivan with its cavernous interior space and creature comfort appointments that can get to our destination quickly and without any stops.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Meepster. I use it every day for my commute to and from work and for all our short running-around errands. We use it as much as possible. I always feel guilty whenever our trips require us to use the minivan and I have to leave Meepie in the garage.

JoeS, yes, I did the EVSE upgrade. The Quick220 device looks like a good alternative. I may float that idea past my wife to see if we should get one to have on-hand should the need/emergency ever arise.

Yes, there are options such as parking at a nearby EVSE (depending on where we are going) and asking someone to come pick us up. However, depending on how far the EVSE is from our ultimate destination, I wouldn't feel comfortable inconveniencing others like that. We're the only ones in our extended family (and all of our friends) who own an EV (or even have the luxury of being able to afford an EV). I don't even want to imagine the ridicule/disdain I'd receive if I asked them to chauffeur me from/to the EVSE because my "little yuppie EV" can't make it there and back on its own, especially when they know we have a minivan that is easily capable of the task. We'd be inconveniencing others simply for our own selfish "green, tree-hugging lifestyle choices."

Indeed, our little cars are capable of grand journeys with just a little creative thinking. I will be taking MR BEAN 150 miles down to Portland again soon, and this week I am hosting an EV friend who is a fellow pusher trailer pilot, driving his "low range EV" from far southern Utah up past Vancouver, Canada and back! :shock:

Planning on being the first i-Miev to travel the entire length of. Route 66 this coming March.
Will post my trip report after the ride.

rkarl89203 said:
Planning on being the first i-Miev to travel the entire length of. Route 66 this coming March. Will post my trip report after the ride.
Looking forward to a blow-by-blow account during the trip itself, so that any of us along the way could meet up and cheer you on. As part of your preparations I'd be expecting having CaniOn in use all the time (primarily to keep an eye on battery temperature) as well as modifying the battery cooling air inlet...

RobbW said:
I'm not afforded the luxury of considering my Meepster for longer driving trips, even if there were plentiful chargers along the route. With two adults in the front and two growing children in the back, the seating space in my Meepster is getting cramped. It wasn't too bad when my younger daughter was, well, younger and didn't require any legroom. She's in her car seat behind the driver because that gives me the most legroom since she never really required that much space. However, now's she's 3 and her legs are digging into the back of my seat. I now have to sit with the driver's seat uncomfortably inched forward a few notches to give her enough room. Longer drives would not be very comfortable for me in our current situation. Nor would I wish to risk the ire of my wife and kids by suggesting we spend several hours driving in a cramped EV that has to stop frequently to charge up instead of taking the minivan with its cavernous interior space and creature comfort appointments that can get to our destination quickly and without any stops.
You must have bought the 'compact version' iMiEV??

I can't tell you how many 50 or 60 mile trips we have taken with 4 adults in the car and despite my 6' frame, I've never felt 'cramped' nor have I had to move the seat so far forward it wasn't perfectly comfortable to drive

Your 3 year old must have VERY long legs . . . . . ;-)

Don

Umm, Robb, you bought the i-Miev because you LIKE it, right?
Seems like you are far more aware of its alleged limitations than its potential.
Just saying.

What I am seeing as the limitations are the potential charging deserts on my March 2016 route 66 trip, the ones in central Missouri, just west of Gallup, NM and the big one ...the Mojave desert loop near Needles to Barstow. Maybe I am a glutton for punishment, but I think the firm seats are quite comfortable. The Stereo/Navigation system is way cool, and tons of storage.
The ability to surprise larger vehicles with quick acceleration is exhilarating. I like my imiev and I am not ashamed to say I am proud to test its durability. I could have bought a Mirage or whatever but the point is, I wanted an electric car.

rkarl89203 said:
What I am seeing as the limitations are the potential charging deserts on my March 2016 route 66 trip, the ones in central Missouri, just west of Gallup, NM and the big one ...the Mojave desert loop near Needles to Barstow.
That last one (144 miles) is not to be trifled with, although in March it should be very nice. Perhaps start developing contacts in Fenner and Amboy and Ludlow?
rkarl89203 said:
Maybe I am a glutton for punishment, but I think the firm seats are quite comfortable.
I'm with you, as I never understood the comments about our seats (and I don't have much padding myself).
rkarl89203 said:
I like my imiev and I am not ashamed to say I am proud to test its durability.
You'll have a cheering section!

Don said:
Your 3 year old must have VERY long legs . . . . . ;-)

Don

It's due to the fact that she's in a car seat, and the car seat is behind the driver's seat. With the way child safety seats are sized and angled, the kid's legs stick straight in front and will continue to do so until their legs grow long enough that the knees extend over the edge of the seat, thereby allowing the legs to bend downward instead of sticking straight out into the back of my seat. One year from now, when she turns four, I'll be able to move her out of a child safety seat and into a booster. That should definitely help. My 9yo daughter, who is getting quite tall, sits behind my wife and doesn't have the same problems as my younger daughter. Of course, my wife being shorter, she usually rides with the passenger seat up a little ways anyway. So, my older daughter always has more legroom.

I'm not denying that 4 adults can ride mostly in comfort in the iMiEV. I know you say you've taken many 50-60 mile trips with four adults in the car. That's great to hear! Are the adults that ride in the back of your iMiEV dependents of yours? I ask because I'm trying to determine if they are passengers whose only means of transportation are riding in the back of your iMiEV. Or are they just friends who occasionally ride in your iMiEV (i.e. they know any space or comfort limitations of your iMiEV are only temporary and they can suck it up for the time being). My girls have no choice but to ride in whatever vehicle mom and dad choose. And since we drive our Meepster roughly 85-95% of the time, they're stuck in the smaller confines of our iMiEV most of the time. If they only had to ride in the Meepster once in a rare occasion, they probably wouldn't mind. But they have to sit back there all the time.

rkarl89203 said:
Umm, Robb, you bought the i-Miev because you LIKE it, right?
Seems like you are far more aware of its alleged limitations than its potential.
Just saying.

Our main purpose in buying our Meepster was to be more environmentally friendly. When we were looking to replace my wife's ICE, we wanted to get an EV, but didn't think we could afford one. We were about two days from taking a check into a VW dealer to by a Jetta Hybrid. Over the weekend, my wife stumbled upon an amazing dealer incentive on our iMiEV that put it at the same price as the Jetta we were going to buy. So, we jumped on it. Yes, I very much love our Meepster! It's an awesome car to drive around in. However, just because I love it doesn't mean I'm not aware of it's limitations and the careful planning that is required to overcome those limitations.

RobbW said:
My 9yo daughter, who is getting quite tall, sits behind my wife and doesn't have the same problems as my younger daughter. Of course, my wife being shorter, she usually rides with the passenger seat up a little ways anyway. So, my older daughter always has more legroom.
I think I've solved your problem - Your kids need to swap seats. With your 9 year old behind you, you'll both be perfectly comfortable with your drivers seat all the way back and since your wife is shorter and already used to riding with her seat slid a bit forward, she'll see no change with the younger one in the car seat behind her

My brother and his wife frequently take trips with us - No gas! Usually it's men in front, ladies in the rear - They're both about 5'4" or so and have plenty of legroom with the seats all the way back. Sometimes my brother rides behind my wife and she does move the seat forward a bit . . . . she moves it a good bit forward when she drives, so the 'fit' seems quite natural

Don

Back