New owner from Chicago, IL of a 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE :)

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Joe! Yeah, I'm still around. My OCD tends to wander from one subject to another over time. I may be obsessed with one subject/hobby for a few months until some other subject/hobby catches my attention. Then all other hobbies get left in the dust until my OCD comes back full circle!

The iMiEV forum just happened to be on my mind since I dropped off the Meepster at the dealer last night for recall service. Now I'm back on the boards trying to catch up.

I am looking at selling my 2003 Toyoa Echo to get an imiev at Lambert, so this is a funny post for me to find. I want a leaf or a volt more, but at this price, if it passes my range test tomorrow, I would be insane to pass it up.

I only have to drive 4 miles to get to lambert, so I've been kicking tires for a bit now, much to the annoyance of salesmen. Still, of all the dealerships I've been to, Lambert is at the top of my list. Respectful, professional, and priced well.

They seem to be somewhat aware of their online following and are quite happy with it.

How does that miev handle on the highway? I'm hearing mixed things about that.

RobbW said:
Congrats, David, on your iMiEV purchase! And a hardy "Welcome!" to a fellow Chicagoland iMiEV owner! Are you in Chicago proper, or the suburbs? I'm out in Elgin. During the entire time I've owned my "Meepster" (will be 2 years exactly on July 11), I have only seen as many other iMiEVs on the street as can be counted on one hand. Surprisingly, one of those sightings was an exact duplicate of my own!

My Meepster is in the Biggers Mitsu service department today to have a couple recalls taken care of. Other than that, I have not taken in it or been contacted for any sort of regular maintenance or checkup. In fact, when I dropped it off at the dealership last night, I specifically asked if there was any sort of recommended or warranty-required maintenance I need to bring the i in for. They told me "None" as far as they're aware of since basically the only regular maintenance it needs is refilling the washer fluid and checking the tire pressure. I'll see what they have to say when they call me later today with an update.

Thanks and its nice to hear from you RobbW! I remember reading some of your posts here in regards to your i-MiEV in the winter/cold weather and being from Elgin, where Biggers Mitsubishi is. I actually visited Biggers Mitsubishi in Elgin, IL prior to the purchase of my i-MiEV and had a chance to drive their white 2014 ES and sit in the blue 2014 ES. That test drive solidified my decision in buying the EV. I was really impressed with the ride, handling and acceleration. However, I was thoroughly disappointed with the salesman there. He wanted to sell me a Mirage, which I really like, but I was much more interested in the i-MiEV. This was also the reason I decided to go the USED route, as trying to buy NEW seemed futile in a few aspects. The price was sort of bait-and-switch so that turned me off and I found the Lamber Buick GMC used i-MiEVs.

I live in Cicero, which borders Chicago just to the west. I do take cruises through downtown Chicago, in the loop and lower Wacker, on Lake Shore Drive, towards the Northside, Chinatown and even far west as Oakbrook and I work in Westmont. Just recently I went on a 40 miles cruise and still had plenty of battery left to get home. I am also fortunate enough to be surrounded by various charging stations and a few that are completely free! I would say range anxiety for me is almost non-existent. Except for recently when I got my first "Turtle!" That was scary! I was glad i didn't have to call roadside assistance for a tow home.

I've seen quite a few i-MiEVs here but certainly not as many as LEAFs, Volts, or Model Ss. I'm still glad to know there's a few of us i-MiEV owners around though, its always fun to spot another one. I cannot help but get excited and smile. I've met one actual owner in real life and another through the PlugShare app.

I'm happy to hear that the i-MiEV is known as a low-maintenance form of transportation. So far, it has proven itself and I still do not regret my purchase or choice. Best EV ever lol

mentaluproar said:
I am looking at selling my 2003 Toyoa Echo to get an imiev at Lambert, so this is a funny post for me to find. I want a leaf or a volt more, but at this price, if it passes my range test tomorrow, I would be insane to pass it up.

I only have to drive 4 miles to get to lambert, so I've been kicking tires for a bit now, much to the annoyance of salesmen. Still, of all the dealerships I've been to, Lambert is at the top of my list. Respectful, professional, and priced well.

They seem to be somewhat aware of their online following and are quite happy with it.

How does that miev handle on the highway? I'm hearing mixed things about that.

Hi! That's so funny and coincidental lol

I would recommend keeping the Echo honestly. I like having an ICE as a backup car or for traveling very long distances and Echo's are kind of like diamonds in the rough. Just solid, reliable, well-built and low-maintenance ICE car. Not to mention pretty good on gas (timing chain, 45 MPGs, 2000 lbs, made in Japan). I plan on keeping mine for the harsh Chicago winters of the Midwest. Our city uses a lot of salt for the roads so I don't want my North Carolina i-MiEV to become even the slightest bit of rusty. I've had a lot of rusty cars in the past and I'm SICK OF RUST! I hate rusty cars, rusty parts, rusty bolts, rusty nuts... sorry I just needed to get that off my chest. You get the point. I didn't consider a LEAF until after the purchase of my i-MiEV but it does has a slight better range albeit as a FWD and heavier curb weight. I didn't even consider the Volt as I wanted a pure EV, not a hybrid.

My experience buying my i-MiEV from Lambert was much much better than trying to buy it locally. What shame for the local Mitsubishi dealerships and quite refreshing to get such a great experience from a Buick GMC dealership. It surprised me but all-in-all I am still happy with my purchase and no-hassles buying experience. Larry Johnson was my salesman and he did a great job of working with me and having the car shipped to me. Everything went really smooth, I got an interest rate I liked and manageable payments. I do believe they're aware of potential i-MiEV buyers based on what Larry told me and the rotating stock of used i-MiEVs they maintain. Buying used versus new was more beneficial to me. I managed to find a low milage warranted i-MiEV that had its main battery replaced and was in fantastic condition. Knock on wood, I feel I got a good deal on a reliable and solid EV. Best of all, I went for the 2012 SE premium package with all the bells and whistles I wanted.

As for handling, the i-MiEV handles a bit weird (relative to what I've experienced). The skinny wheels and tires makes it feel like its going to flip or roll over and it leans a lot. There's just not a lot of traction when cornering really hard and really fast and the Low Rolling Resistance tires play a key role in that. Its a little scary because I keep thinking the tires are going to roll or the suspension is going to break. lol. Compared to my old 1992 Nissan 240SX (205/55/R15), the i-MiEV feels like a narrow mini-van. I still like it though, i realize its not a cornering on-rails-machine id like it to be. I'm sure with a different suspension, tires and wheels setup it can handle much better but the way it ships from the factory its simply a point-A to point-B economical EV. Hate to say it but it has its purpose, its just not a handling cornering sports car. On straights its fast, gets up to 80 mph quickly and keeps up with traffic if and when you need it to. Weighing in at 2500 lbs and being RWD as well as rear-drivetrain makes it fun to drive and its funny seeing this thing pass up much heavier and faster ICE cars. :mrgreen: On the highway it handles fine, i try to just keep it straight and not give it as much steering input anyways. The electric power steering is bit numb as is the drive-by-wire throttle input but nothing out of the ordinary in comparison to other modern cars in my opinion. I don't feel unsafe even at 80 MPH, which I rarely do as it depletes the main battery quickly. If and when I do have to get on the highway, I travel at about 50-65 MPH at most.

After two months of owning it, daily 25 mile round-trip commutes and over 2,500 electric miles traveled, I could not be any happier with my EV. I say go for it, but keep an ICE just in case. My ideal ICE is actually the 1.2L 3-cylinder Mirage from Mitsubishi too! But for now, my Echo will have to do the job. I think you're really going to like owning an i-MiEV if it fits your commutes and you have a way to charge it at home say over night. :D Also, its nice to have a local i-MiEV Mitsubishi dealership near by for service.

Regarding handling, I'll certainly endorse the front end lowering springs from H&R, but stay away from lowering the rear!

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2138&start=20

jray3 said:
Regarding handling, I'll certainly endorse the front end lowering springs from H&R, but stay away from lowering the rear!

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2138&start=20

Why's that? I thought the general consensus was to adjust front and rear together as to not throw off the "balance."

I was wondering, can I change my oem door mirrors and replace them with ones that have LEDs in them. Has anyone attempted this? Like this:

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
mitsubishi_12ise1a_mirror_Large.jpg

2015 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
2015-mitsubishi-lancer%20evolution-side-mirror2_10020_132_640x480.jpg

2015 Mitsubishi Mirage
2015-mitsubishi-mirage-side-mirror2_10019_132_640x480.jpg

I can wire the mirrors with the existing turn signal lights. Or I could make them also "day-time-running" lights. Regardless, this pique my interest recently. I'd love to hear any input.

Haven't thought about it, but I may now :mrgreen: . I never noticed how similar the mirrors are between the i-MiEV and Lancer. The main trick would be mounting the new mirrors on the ledges attached to the doors.

I ran aftermarket dome lights into the door handles, and fishing a turn signal lead would be just as simple.

I wonder how much heated, power mirrors with the turn signal built-in cost :? .

"I wonder how much heated, power mirrors with the turn signal built-in cost "

I wonder how much battery it would use more.

I don't need heated mirrors.. My truck has that. The other day I had to open the mirror on the truck (I close it manually to fit into the portable garage) and it was very warm... the truck was OFF. I had to take out the fuse. Not my favorite thing to notice, since I had felt it the week before. So it was malfunctioning in the ON for a week !

I like simple less electronics on most things, but the extra light for turn signal would be nice !

All 2014 and 2016 i-MiEVs, as well as 2012 models with cold-weather package, quick-charge package, or premium package have heated mirrors. They come on with the rear defroster.

Having a turn signal up in the mirror would probably work better than my idea to have them in the door handles (long story short, all of my door handle lights quit working, so when I go to replace them, I was going to add turn signals). A Mirage passed me yesterday. The mirrors are identical.

Which color to get? :mrgreen:

PV1 said:
All 2014 and 2016 i-MiEVs, as well as 2012 models with cold-weather package, quick-charge package, or premium package have heated mirrors. They come on with the rear defroster.

Having a turn signal up in the mirror would probably work better than my idea to have them in the door handles (long story short, all of my door handle lights quit working, so when I go to replace them, I was going to add turn signals). A Mirage passed me yesterday. The mirrors are identical.

Which color to get? :mrgreen:

I'd get white, even though they do not match exactly. I've got heated mirrors in my 12 SE Premium then? Nice!

September 19, 2015 Update

I've officially traveled over 5,000 miles since April 10, 2015, that's roughly 1,000 miles per month. I've also traveled longer distances often times taking more than an hour to reach my destination. Long distance driving gets uncomfortable for me so stopping for a stretch would be a good idea. Also, just last week I paid for a DC fast charge for the first time ever. It was 2 am and i needed to get my friend home quick from the north side of Chicago (Rogers Park) all the way to Naperville (1hr 42min, 35mi)! All of my charging has been free in public, and paid for in private or at home. Thanks Plugshare app!

As for financials go, my Outstanding Principal Balance is $9,120.19, next minimum payment has gone down to $137.77, and is Due: 11/11/2015. I've been making $200 payments each month, sometimes twice a month. No issues here.

Tomorrow, Sunday 9/20/15, I will be participating at a National Drive Electric Week event in Naperville, IL. I signed up to demo my i-MiEV for test drives. This is my first EV meet/event so I'm excited to network with people and test drives others' EVs. So far 40 vehicles have been registered.
https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=430

Lastly, I am going upgrade my original L1 EVSE in order to charge a little faster at home. This is by far the least expensive solution for charging at a faster rate.
http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=index&cPath=3&zenid=e360mrqis42kk3p8fquc1974v1

I'm also considering buying the new ChargePoint Home L2 smart EVSE, very cool!
http://www.chargepoint.com/home/

I found a local dealer selling i-MiEVs, I'd buy another if I had the funds available.
IMG_20150907_194320.jpg

IMG_20150907_194333.jpg

Free L2 EVSE in Greek Town Walgreens just east of the Loop. You can see the Sears ("Willis") Tower in the background.
IMG_20150712_221532735.jpg

Hey davidricardo....

We will be attending the Naperville event tomorrow also..,.
We are in Rockford..

Hope to see you there....

rkarl89203 said:
Hey davidricardo....

We will be attending the Naperville event tomorrow also..,.
We are in Rockford..

Hope to see you there....

Are you not bringing your iMiEV? Or have you just not registered it for the event? The even website only shows 2 iMiEVs representin'. But this thread seems to indicate there will be three of us there!

Was a great event .. Fun was had by all...even easier than we expected from Rockford and Back. Glad to meet you, Davidricardo. Looks like we both bought identical models, even the colour. Looks like there were 4 total i-Mievs, including the one in blue and white parked just outside the entrance to the event. Best of wishes to you with your i-Miev..its one of the best cars we have ever owned. Route 66 is next!

rkarl89203 said:
Was a great event .. Fun was had by all...even easier than we expected from Rockford and Back. Glad to meet you, Davidricardo. Looks like we both bought identical models, even the colour. Looks like there were 4 total i-Mievs, including the one in blue and white parked just outside the entrance to the event. Best of wishes to you with your i-Miev..its one of the best cars we have ever owned. Route 66 is next!

Was the one in blue and white parked outside the entrance yours? If not, then there were 5 total iMiEVs at the event (fully half of the iMiEVs in the country, I believe!). If that one was yours, then yes, only 4 iMiEVs. There was mine, David's, Mike's, and yours. The blue/white one would make 5 if it wasn't yours. Mike, David, and I went over to the Nissan dealership afterwards to check out the quick charger. I had never used one before and just want to get a photo op of my first experience. Today was a blast for EV owners all around, I think! Great meeting everyone!

Please read my previous post again. I mentioned that davidricardo and I had purchased the exact same model, apparently, including the same colour. therefore mine as well is white. Only white. Don't know whose Imiev the blue and white one was.

rkarl89203 said:
Please read my previous post again. I mentioned that davidricardo and I had purchased the exact same model, apparently, including the same colour. therefore mine as well is white. Only white. Don't know whose Imiev the blue and white one was.

My apologies. I didn't realize you meant yours and David's were EXACT identical models. The only one I saw parked outside the fenced area was all white except for an electric blue band at the bottom of the doors that said "100% Electric." So, if that one wasn't yours, then there WERE 5 iMiEVs at the event today. Is that the other iMiEV you were talking about outside the fenced area? Or did you see another one that was mostly blue with some white?

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted anything. Sorry about forgetting to post pictures of the event. I've been rather busy with school and work. I'll have to set aside some time to upload a few pictures.

Anyways, I have a concern in regards to extended warranties offered by my home dealership and would like some advice. My basic new vehicle limited warranty coverage of 36 month or 36,000 miles expires on 02/13/2016 and I'm debating whether I should purchase an extended warranty just in case something breaks or fails. This is what's deemed as the "bumper-to-bumper" warranty which covers almost anything.

I inquired about this at my home dealership and the manager I spoke to advised me that if I decided to purchase the extended warranty, I needed to buy it before the basic warranty expires on 02/13/2016. He asked how long I planned on keeping the EV and I told him basically until the wheels fall off but ideally before the 10 year battery warranty ends. He suggested an extended warranty of 10 years or 70,000 miles for about $1,900, with flexible payments and 0% interest. He did mention that the only thing not covered was the main drive battery, claiming that because Mitsubishi already warrantied it for 10 years or 100,000 miles. I found that odd, but just acknowledged it. I doubt that'd be the only thing not covered. I'd have to read all the fine print in what's excluded in the final contract to be sure. The company providing the extended warranty only warrants Mitsubishi vehicles with non-expired basic warranties. The manager said that if I let the basic 3 year warranty expire, that company would not sell me an extended warranty and that I'd have to find some other company to do so.

So this is where I'm at. I'm almost running out of time and I need your help. Have any of you purchased an extended warranty for your i-MiEVs from a Mitsubishi dealership? What's the general consensus when it comes to buying extended warranties? Is this a good or bad idea? Is it an investment or a waste of money? Was the price he quoted me fair market value? Are the extended warranty companies Mitsubishi dealerships using reliable and trustworthy? Are there alternatives?

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for helping me out here. Like many of you, I cherish my i-MiEV a lot and plan on taking great care of it for many years to come. It has been a great car so far and I intend on keeping it in tip top shape as long as I can.

davidricardo86 said:
What's the general consensus when it comes to buying extended warranties? Is this a good or bad idea? Is it an investment or a waste of money?
Extended warranties are the single biggest moneymaker for many dealerships - There is often a large celebration whenever a sales person sells one - He usually has to pay for the party out of his (considerable) commission

I've read articles claiming they are 80 or 90% profit, so you can imagine that very few customers who buy them ever get much if anything out of them. I think for the buyer, they are mostly a 'feel good' expense as you think that no matter what happens to your car, you're covered - But that's not always the case when it comes to getting your car fixed. If you think a $1900 policy to insure your now $7500 car against something major which might go wrong with it, I would *very carefully* read what is actually covered and what's not. Your $1900 feel good would turn sour very quickly if you discover that your repair is not covered!

There have been a couple of A/C problems with these cars which reportedly would cost $3500 to $4K to have replaced after the warranty expires. I think one person here also need to have the inverter/charger replaced, but that was under warranty. The odds of you getting even half of your $1900 'value' out of one of these extended warranties is pretty slim I think

Even if the extended warranty was $500 instead of $1900, I still don't think you could sell me one - We bought a second iMiEV that we really didn't need because we love the car and if our original one was totaled in an accident, we'd definitely want it replaced . . . . but our insurance policy wouldn't replace it - It would just give us a check for about 1/3rd or 1/4 of what we paid for the car. When we discovered that we could buy a 2012 lease return for less than $10K ($8700 in our case) with only a few thousand miles on it (3,900 miles) we jumped on it. An SE Premium with Nav and QC which stickered for about $35K new

Don

Back