howieb

Re: Single->Double Din Radio, Rear Camera, USB/Aux, Mic Inst

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:49 pm

Anybody know which wire is the backup light?

Howie

2016 Aqua Marine Blue i-MiEV

howieb

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:09 am

Give me enough time and...

It is the white wire, as I suspected, which connects to the red wire with blue strip that runs to the lamp itself.

Just to bring you up to date, I have the camera physically installed, but either I have a bad video wire, or I messed up one of the connectors trying to run the wire. If that's the case, I think I'll have to run a wire sans connectors, and solder on the connectors after it's run. There's one spot that is a bear to get the wire with connector through, and that's the rubber conduit that runs from the top of the hatch to the body. You need to be especially careful because the rear washer fluid tube runs through there too. At least if I have to run a new wire I can use the existing wire to draw it through. Here's some pictures...

Here's a little tool I made to get the plastic trim piece off to drill for and mount the camera. This perfectly compresses the rivets and they pop right out. It worked well for those easy to reach, but it was hard to get it to the ones that were more difficult. So I made a longer one, and when I went to use that one, discovered I needed some leverage. Then I had one of those "Doh!" moments, when I realized the trim removal tools I bought on Amazon (which do come in handy) has a perfectly sized hole that must be just for this purpose! If you don't have a tool, a 7/32 inch hole works well.

I made an "error" in the installation, fortunately easy to correct. I don't have any idea what I was thinking, but for some reason I was thinking the license plate lights were the backup lights. Well... They were right there! I realized my error as soon as nothing happened when I went into reverse. I turned on the lights to confirm. Now that I've realized my error, I have to run at least one additional wire through the same circuitous route to the backup light. I'll probably run power and ground.

I broke a few clips... The outer clips on the center rear trim in the cargo area, which are actually part of the trim piece, not separate clips, are pretty lame and broke right off. I also lost one of the clips when putting back the tan seatbelt trim piece in the left rear cargo area. These seem easy to replace.

Here's several pictures from the (not yet completed) installation...
Last edited by howieb on Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howie

PV1
Site Moderator

Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:50 am

howieb wrote:I broke a few clips... The outer clips on the center rear trim in the cargo area, which are actually part of the trim piece, not separate clips, are pretty lame and broke right off.

Yep, I did the same thing. I wonder if that was made the way it is on purpose :roll: .

That blue paint is really pretty.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

howieb

Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:29 pm

Finally done! I had to route a new video cable because the one that came with the camera died during the installation... Ran a wire only (much easier) and then soldered a connector on after it was at the front seat. Also had to run extension wires for power to the camera, since the ones that came with the camera were not long enough (neither was the video cable). Pictures...

What a mess...

Microphone on top of the steering wheel, wire run behind the dash...

This was the best place I could find for the USB/Aux, and I didn't have to remove any trim pieces (because I'm almost sure I would have broken those rivets). I was a little worried about the location, but it in no way interferes with my leg/foot.

I'm not that pleased with the camera. Nothing like the 170 degree view claimed, and not as good as my wife's Civic. I may look for another one like it. As you can see, I can't even see the edges of the bumper. I'll have to measure the angle when I have some help.

Here's where I mounted my phone... I'm pleased with this mount, but it has sticky stuff on the suction cup that make it hard to remove/move.

PV1 wrote:That blue paint is really pretty

Yeah, I wasn't sure about it, but I really love it. I mentioned that the car had some scratches when I first got it, probably when the transport truck went under some tree branches. I brought the car into a place in Cambridge MA, Dad's Auto Detailing. He also said that the car was full of sap, which could be felt, but not really seen. He did a really great job, removing the scratches ($100) and detailing the exterior (an additional $150), more than half paid by the transporter. When I picked up the car, he had David Ortiz' (Big Papi) white Land Rover, which he was finishing up so he could deliver it to Fenway.
Howie

tigger19687

Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:23 am

Looks nice.

Let me know when you figure out how to put in a new and better sprayer for the wipers !

This is something I need to do as the passenger wiper get NO liquid and is going to scratch the windshield in our Fall Winter months
[size=85]- Linda
-2017 Chevy Bolt Premier Bright Blue
- 2014 Toyota Prius C, for the Son

mixmike6

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:58 pm

Is there any way of doing this on a 2014 ES without drilling a hole ?
Mike D.
2014 Ocean Blue i-MiEV ES
Montréal, QC

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”