Canion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey CaniOn developers! Do you think there might be a code you could send to make the vehicle go into turtle mode?

See this discussion I started: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2631

Bonjour
We will never do this....

a) Because we have no idea about the command to send.

b) Since the beginning, for security reason, canion only listens the trafic on the canbus.
It has never sent any command, and will never do it on a public release.

Xavier

Just an FYI, the CaniOn doesn't work very well on the LG E970 smart phone.
It gets Hung up and also shuts down if I have it running while driving.

Will have to see how it behaves on my Toshiba Thrive Tablet.
I think I just need to find an older smartphone that it works very well on and is Uber cheap and just use that just for the car.

The first thing I'd try is to turn off the screens you won't need. I shut off Cockpit (virtual dash), the two map displays, and heater/AC consumption based on the season (AC disabled in winter, heater in summer).

The Cockpit display requests a lot of information from the car, even when it is not the screen in use. Go into settings and turn it off, your FPS will drop by at least 100 FPS, making the app much more stable.

Hey, how about this feature idea:

An annoying, loud beep that would sound whenever you have reached a set speed and/or set consumption?

It would act as a manual cruise control - you wouldn't have to look at the gauges to drive economically, you'd just have to listen.

Obviously there should be a setting to set minimum alert threshold for both speed and consumption. Sound would continue even if you go over the limit. You could turn on and off them on separately.

Hat tip to JoeS for the idea.

Thanks, I already had a few things turned off, but will try it again.

Honestly I wouldn't mind another smartphone just for the car

Hi all,

Actually i like the beep idea.

Gliders use a tone in the cockpit to hear the lift and help the pilot judge his energy. Perhaps canion could do that also. A variable tone that changes frequency with instanious or perhaps average consumption. It might be a good way to provide feedback to the driver without distraction.

That would be something interesting to try.

Don.....

How about a few different tones? There could be options for a zero power tone while in a drive mode, a tone for the middle portion of power, and a more annoying tone for the top portion of power consumption. The first portion would be silent, except for a user programmable threshold in kW.

Each tone can be individually turned on or off, and the programmable threshold could be set for anywhere from 2-50 kW.

Tigger, I have a Galaxy S Captivate, a Galaxy S3, and an Acer Iconia A500 tablet. All three run CaniOn well, especially with the Cockpit view turned off. I'd say any upper end phone from the last 3 years should work well for you. There is also the custom ROM route if you need to boost the speed of the phone.

i noticed there is a column in the database for 'baro'-- is there a barometer or some sensor measurement of atmospheric pressure in these little jelly beans?

Is the GPS data (lat. long. speed alt) taken from the vehicle's gps or from the android device running the app?

kiev said:
i noticed there is a column in the database for 'baro'-- is there a barometer or some sensor measurement of atmospheric pressure in these little jelly beans? Is the GPS data (lat. long. speed alt) taken from the vehicle's gps or from the android device running the app?
I'm not aware of either built into the car. I *think* it's taken from the Android device (but probably device-specific).

I'm having a lot of trouble getting Canion to work right, and figuring it out has been difficult in the absence of any documentation.
I have a bluetooth OBD-II plugged in to the CAN port, and I have Canion running on my Android device. So far, it's only displaying battery cell voltages and temperatures - and I'm skeptical whether that's even accurate, as it's showing 21.5 degrees C average battery temperature when it has been 105 degrees F all day. Otherwise, it's showing nothing. Watts is zero, amps is zero, AC consumption is zero even though I'm running AC at full blast. Obviously it's not working as it should, but I have no idea what to do! I've looked all over, but found nothing. Anyone have an idea? I'd much appreciate any help.

Edit: I was using the ELM327. Maybe that was the problem. Just ordered a ScanTool OBDLink LX - currently $64 on Amazon - hopefully that'll make it work right. ;)

I just wish we could change the metric units to imperial. That would be a big useability improvement. Please consider offering this choice.

kiev said:
i noticed there is a column in the database for 'baro'-- is there a barometer or some sensor measurement of atmospheric pressure in these little jelly beans?

Is the GPS data (lat. long. speed alt) taken from the vehicle's gps or from the android device running the app?

The baro info comes from the android device (when the sensor is present).

Idem for the GPS infos...

Xavier

I have the ScanTool OBDLink LX plugged in, paired it to my Android device, but CaniOn is still not displaying any parameters from the car. It blinks "connection successful" (or something similar - sorry, too fast to read) every few seconds, but it's all zeroes on all the power graphs. I run it while driving and it shows distance and elevation in real-time, but apparently nothing else is getting updated. What could be going wrong?? :?

Are there any other devices paired to the android device? if so unpair them.

Swipe across the canion screens until you get to the settings, then turn off cockpit, trip history, and as many other data fields that you can just leaving battery volts and temp. This reduces the number of frames per second that the BT has to deal with. Once the connection is established and reliable then you can add screens back in.

When you have a good connection established it will not be cycling back on/off with the 'connection established' message--that is an indication that the BT link is not good. The VIN number will be displayed along the bottom edge when you have a good connection.

Thanks kiev, but unfortunately that didn't work. I unpaired my phone so the only device paired is the OBD, and turned off everything except the battery temp and volts history, but it still keeps flashing the message "connected successfully" and not updating any data. The data on the left hand side is not updating either.

In case it helps: On the OBDLink the power light was flashing. I pressed the button on the OBDLink which caused its bluetooth light to flash rapidly and after a few moments it changed so now the power light is steady on and the bluetooth light is flashing slowly. No change on Canion. The entire time, my Android device showed OBDLink LX in the paired devices list, and the blue OBD icon was lit up at the top of the screen. I don't know if this is normal or not.

Did you tried with another android device? With my tablet HP Slate, Canion never actually started. But with my Samsung Note 3 things usually do very well.

I only have one android device that can run canion, the gps stereo I have installed in the car, running android 4. My phone is on android 2.4 so it can't run canion.

Are you seeing only two lights on your OBDLink just as I am? I wonder if maybe mine is failing to actually connect on bluetooth even though canion says it is.

One more thing - I removed the OBDLink - literally, I physically unplugged it from the car - and Canion still continues to flash the message "connection successful". :shock:

Start over at the beginning, unpair everything. Then turn on BT on the android device and press the green button on the LX--that turns on the BT (fast blinking of the blue light) on the LX and makes it show up to other devices. Then go thru the pairing procedure. Then run canion. When it says 'connection success' that just means that the app has found the BT on the device it is running on, not that it is talking to the LX.

There may be a step in which you have to click to allow the android device to recieve data (e.g. ftp access) from the LX after you are paired and canion is running.

Back