New I-Miev Owner, Central Texas

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centex

I came across a 2012 with 6900 miles for $7000. Hmm, too good to let pass. Today I drove to Houston to look it over. Looks like it is new; as if it were in a garage the whole time. No dings, etc. Still had plastic cover on the drivers floor mat. I bought it and awaiting delivery. Either Friday or Saturday.

Question: Where is the lever for the quick charger hatch? I looked on the floor by the driver's seat. Did not know if it had been upgraded to a Quick Charger plug. No problem for the other charge port for the J1772.

I kid my wife that she will lay claim on the i after it gets in.

Looking forward to accessorizing it with whatever is available. Would love to find some custom graphics.

Next will be deciding on an EVSE.

Has anyone hooked up a trailer wiring harness on their i?

The remote looks like it has never been used. Glad that the remote came with the car. The only thing missing were the owner's manuals. I see they are on the web.

Congrats and yep, the quick charge door release handle would be on the floor left of the drivers' seat if you had it, but that was an option in 2012, and the car is not upgradeable to DCFC due to firmware issues. I traded cars because of this after our local quick charge infrastructure got built out.
Not a tragedy, because your wife will definitely steal the car, wives don't like fast-charging, and that means you can then go get an i for yourself! :p

You can open the empty CHAdeMO port by removing the plastic rear passenger interior quarter panel, which has two tabs for this purpose. You'll see a pull-cable end that's not connected to anything. Pull on that, and the quick charge door will open (yes, on the opposite side of the car). :?

The wiring bundle for splicing in a trailer lighting harness is also behind that right side rear quarter panel. The wires look almost too thin to use vampire taps on, but I was successful. Get the service manual from HELM online if you want to do much playing with the car.

Jray3 Thanks for the information. Got email from the dealer. The i is on the truck and will arrive, my guess, around lunch time.

Jray3, how large of a trailer have you pulled? I have a Tractor Supply 4x6'. Empty pulls very easy with my RAV4. Was thinking of something lighter, like the Harbor Frieght smaller series trailer.
I don't need any thing large, just something for Home Depot runs for mulch, potting soil, etc. I don't want to dirty up the interior. Trailer is good for those odd items. My Tractor Supply trailer paid for itself in about 6 weeks.

Welcome to the forum - Glad you're here!

We bought a couple of 18 x 18 carpet squares and they cover the rear luggage area with the back seats up - You could get a couple more if you haul lots of stuff with the seats folded

Anyway, we've hauled everything you mentioned without getting the car dirty, as well as 10 or 12 8 x 8 x 16 cement blocks, lots of 12 x 12 x 4 cement blocks, 10 60 pound bags of ready-mix.

We have a 4 x 8 trailer and a hitch on our ICE car, but seldom bother with it unless we're hauling long lumber - The iMiEV's handle everything else!

Don

Thx Centex. My pusher weighs 540 lb, and I'm confident that my little wedge-bodied camper has approached 800 a couple times.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/oy13yqxi8wq80y8/AAA0pwz6WIwNEJ_pJgeX53nfa
There's a member here who hauled multiple 800 lb loads of firewood to his mountain cabin, IIRC. I have a Harbor Freight trailer with the 8" wheels, and it pulls rougher than the pusher does with its 15" wheels. I'm sure its those tiny tires telegraphing bumps (though I tend to run tires at max pressure).

Thanks for all the good information.

I did not think about the really small tires and their effects. My present trailer has 15". I checked Tractor Supply nnd the empty weight is 250 llbs.

Next would be ordering a hitch and seeing how to hook up the electical harness.

The Mrs. really likes the iMiev. She thought it was cute and she really likes the ride. With it being so quiet and with the a/c she gets so relaxed she almost falls asleep. My eldest granddaughter drove it last night. Would not be surprised that she would want one for her first car, going to school, etc.

Now I am learning driving technique and how it effects the RR. Air conditioning really brings down the numbers but for our town the range is enought for 4 days of driving around town.

After just a day I am so impressed I will always have an EV. The quiet, smooth ride will really spoil yourself.

Back