Canion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed v.126. Connectivity works just fine. In the past my perception is that connecting works more reliably if one waits a bit (maybe 1/2-minute) after first turning on the tablet before activating the CaniOn app.

A basic dumb question about battery temperature history: is CaniOn reading historical data stored by the car or only what CaniOn had stored after turning on?

Once again, Martin and Xavier - thank you so much for continuously improving this highly-desirable instrument for our i-MiEVs.

JoeS said:
Once again, Martin and Xavier - thank you so much for continuously improving this highly-desirable instrument for our i-MiEVs.

I am also very thankful for Martin's and Xavier's effort. Canion has helped me a great deal to better understand the car and its batteries.

I installed the 126 and it works fine. I have been forced to reset the OBD adapter a couple times.

One problem I see with 126 as compared to one of the previous versions. I have used Canion to benchmark the on-the-wall kW meter. This worked nice before and I cound read the WhReg value whenever I got to the car. Now Canion works when charging, but when charging completes the ODB adapter sleeps, Canion looses contact with it, tried to reconnect and looses the WhReg value..

Is it any way to retreive the WhReg value for 126?

A big thank you from me as well for the CaniOn developers. It's a must have for any i-MiEV/iOn/C-Zero driver. Thank you.

Cost of an Android tablet shouldn't be much more than 1/100th of the vehicle price anyway. :) I'm actually using a Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus which my eldest daughter broke. The screen is cracked, but still works fine for CaniOn and shouldn't attract thieves even if left in the car. The kids are an endless supply of Android phones with cracked screens.

Version 127 running. 126 was crashing in the battery temperature history. Not anymore with 127. Everything looks fine in my 4 years old i-MiEV. 78.000 km and all seems working fine. Not the best place to use an electric car, in summer gets hot in Portugal. Canion gives me a lot of help, because is the only way to know something about the temperature in the battery, and I try to avoid have it above 30º C since September 2013. Not easy and I simply don't use it in the hottest days.

One bar of 5% between 50 and 55% is about 540 Wh in my car nowadays (as seen by Canion). I saw in an Australian forum someone that measured something like 620 kWh in a similar interval, but with a car used for something like a year. So I have less 13% of battery capacity then him.

I would thank you all who use canion to see the value that a 5% bar is in energy, just to compare. But the value should be taken near 50% SoC, because the value goes up as we get closer to 100% SoC. Between 50 to 55% could be 540 Wh, but between 80 to 85% could be 555 Wh.

Hello
Just a small explanation about canion and big history:

Martin has a huge history (400MB) and another user in switzerland 311MB.
On my side, I tried many android devices and canion worked fine on all of them.

They use nexus7, from the beginning, for this use only.

With rel126, there was a freezing when trying to see „Batt Temp History“.

In a previous life, I was an expert with SQL, my diag: the culprit was a missing index in the db to get efficiently the results...

Martin found another working solution with rel127.

Xavier

No setting. The conversion of units hasn't been added to CaniOn yet. The RR value on the left side of the screen is a number capture from the car, so range remaining will show in miles if your car is set to MPH (as all US cars are), but speed, trip odometer, and the odometer will show km.

Release 128 is online thx to Martin
icon_jap.gif
:
panel Power History added, (please do not use timelaps bigger than one hour when connected).
panel Maps: enable calculate route if connected to internet,
indices to database added (for better response),
prevent ResetTripTimer on restart scanner service,
some common improvements, bugfixes....

Xavier

some pictures here

Yes, now running with 128 version. One day Canion will show us the Battery Current Capacity, I´ll have to wait for that. Giving me the temperatures of every sensor and the charge of every cell at real time is awesome, and gives the opportunity to every one of us to learn so much. Amazing. Going to 0.0% SoC again to see how much of SoC is my turtle after 4 years. Only possible to do it myself because of Canion. Showing you the results soon.

priusfan said:
Release 128 is online thx to Martin
icon_jap.gif
Thank you again for continuously improving CaniOn.
icon_jap.gif
icon_jap.gif
icon_jap.gif

I really like seeing your recent addition of temperature change over time. Looking forward to not seeing TripReset on restart. :eek: I like to be able to hit Reset at the beginning of a trip interval and then see my performance for that entire trip, I have now permanently mounted the tablet in my new used i-miev and appreciate the feedback, especially about how efficiently I'm driving.

me68 said:
...from the new feature in release 130
I was asleep, as a couple of CaniOn updates have recently come through. From the CaniOn "About" panel:

Release 130 panel Trip History: show current km as dynamic bar, option km/kWh; new calc for heater and AC, panel Trip History and panel WH/km History also in km/kWh.

Release 129: option km/kWh added, panel Maps: use offline cards from a couple of websites, (identified in the app), panel Maps: AutoZoom, panel Maps: some improvements.

Interesting that the inverse of Wh/km ... /1000 ... (km/kWh) is presumably becoming a popular metric in Europe.

Now, a nit-picking question for Martin/Xavier: the panel Trip History shows "Wh/km" on the ordinate (y-axis). Shouldn't that perhaps be simply labeled "Wh", as the abscissa (x-axis) is in individual kilometers?

Martin/Xavier, thank you for continually improving this great app!

My dumb question for the day: since my Android tablet only has WiFi connectivity, exactly how can I preload maps into it in case I want to use them? So far, for me Maps has been a superfluous feature in CaniOn as I already have a Garmin GPS, the built-in i-MiEV Nav screen, and my cell-connected iPad.

Hello Joe!

You are right with Wh instead of Wh/km for panel Trip History. Thanks for this input! I will change this for next release.

km/kWh is not common in Europe, it was requested from japanese users.

Regarding WiFi-only devices: i also own a WiFi-only device. I load the offline-map on my computer and made a copy to the android device. If i need internet-connection on the road, i use my smartphone as WiFi-hotspot for the Nexus 7.

Martin

Hi Data hounds,

So, I'm quickly getting convinced that to do the things that I want to do with this car over time. I'm going to need this data from it. Compared to past projects, I feel blind so far on this one.

So bottom line, what is the best set up/best value. I'm a Mac guy so I have nothing android to start with. I'm going to want data logging more than anything else. So opinions and recommendations for equipment please.

Thanks,
Aerowhatt

Back