Sun Shade.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome!!! Thank you. I just checked out the website and will order from them. At least we know you already have one and it fits and they go as far to tell you on their website that it fits your car even though it's not your car in the picture.

Phximiev, as you can see I moved your post into this thread. Before starting a new topic it's perhaps a good idea to look around first. This one here gives you plenty of suggestions.

To answer your question, I find that the inexpensive (under $10) EXTERNAL do-it-yourself reflective insulation material works best for me, and it's a custom-fit with only a pair of scissors and a bungie. When it is windy, I also run a bungie longitudinally from the radio antenna to the windshield wiper base. Being external it stops the radiation before it penetrates the windshield.

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10258#p10258

That external method IMO is definitely superior.
It is, however, sometimes difficult where you can buy a few feet of that material off a roll.
Many places sell it, but some you'd have to buy a 50 foot roll.

Not sure if someone found this already, but it appears that Amazon has a sunshade for our favorite transport pod.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C30H2OC/ref=mp_s_a_1_45?qid=1426300470&sr=8-45&keywords=i-MiEV&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

Just a brief follow-up. I now have one of these 'custom' foam-cored sunshades for each of my i-MiEVs, material cost under $10 and just a few minutes with a pair of scissors. The athwartships bungie has large loops for the mirrors and the fore-aft bungie has small loops - one around the radio antenna and the other around the windshield wiper base.

WindshieldCvrNoWipers.jpg

Now, this last week in SF it was too windy to have the cover outside (even with the bungies), so I was pleasantly surprised that the same cover fit very nicely inside the car. The note says at what time I could be unplugged (I was expecting to be in a meeting just a little longer than sufficient charge for me to get home) - sure enough, a Leaf was using the plug when I returned as the parking spot next to me had been available.

WindshieldCvrInside.jpg

Reviving an old thread here . . .

High temperatures have returned to the southwest desert for the summer of 2016. It was (according to my dash display thermometer this afternoon, when I was out driving errands) 111°F. It's predicted to go past that tomorrow and, if it does, it will establish a new record. I snapped the below photo of my car with the sunshade in front of my house at around 4:00PM. My iPad on the Wunderstation app was showing 108° at the time . . .

sJdrGUY.jpg

And here's the link to the sunshade I'm using, a Covercraft UVS100 that I purchased a few months ago from Cardid . . .

http://www.carid.com/covercraft/uvs100-silver-heat-shield-mpn-uv11259sv.html

No, not the least expensive option and I know I'd be getting another level of cooling performance with the sort of homemade external shields I'm seeing here. But this one has been performing very well and it can be deployed in a matter of seconds. Locked up inside the car, it's also not all that easy to casually steal.

One trick to keeping your car cooler, regardless of shield type, is to roll the side windows down just enough (half an inch, say) to get the outside air circulating around inside to equalize the cabin air temperature. With the windows sealed shut, the greenhouse effect makes the car interior all that much hotter . . . as much as 40 to 50°.

Benjamin Nead said:
Reviving an old thread here . . .

And here's the link to the sunshade I'm using, a Covercraft UVS100 that I purchased a few months ago from Cardid . . .

http://www.carid.com/covercraft/uvs100-silver-heat-shield-mpn-uv11259sv.html

No, not the least expensive option and I know I'd be getting another level of cooling performance with the sort of homemade external shields I'm seeing here. But this one has been performing very well and it can be deployed in a matter of seconds. Locked up inside the car, it's also not all that easy to casually steal.

I like the looks of that one. Everything I have seen has been too flimsy and with the long windshield they sag and fall out of place. One question though where do you stow it when not in use??

Aerowhatt

It probably looks more impressive from a distance than up close. It’s basically 6 compressed poster board panels that appear to be about 1/8” thick, covered by thin silver vinyl on the reflective side and thin felt on the inside. The panel divisions and edges have a fabric binding sewn into place . . . nothing fancy, but cleanly crafted. Most importantly, they really did take the time to design it to fit properly, really getting the proper dimensions of the i-MiEV’s expansively tall windshield before they cut the materials and pieced it together. It’s not just a generic “one size fits none” item.

We’ll see by the end of the summer how well it holds up. If it wears out quickly, I may build the next on myself, but use the dimensions from this one’s panels as a guide.

Regarding how I carry it: I saved the long rectangular shipping box and keep the open end poking out between the 2 front seats (my rear seats are almost always folded down and I typically also carry my collection of car detailing products back there.) I simply slide the folded shade in and out of the box as needed.

Thanks, that is my only reservation is that it looks long to stow when not in use. Hmmm . . . still undecided :(

Aerowhatt

Yeah, with such a tall windshield on our cars, you're gonna need a tall box to stow the shade. An alternate way to do it is to store the box along the width of the car, as it easily fits that way and divides rear cargo space more efficiently than storing it lengthwise. The only rub there is you need to open one of the rear doors or rear hatch to get at it. But when it's 106° outside, you just want to be able to pop that thing up and down with as little fuss as possible.

Back