2016 i-miev about to be announced!?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PV1 said:
Yeah, definitely should've put a 6.6 kW charger in, since the i-MiEV is now the only EV with a 3.3 kW charger unless you go for a bare bones LEAF.

My Smart ED has a 3.3kW charger. Personally, I've only ever charged at 1.4kW (120V) and found no need for more at home. On the road, I've charged at 3.3kW in municipal parking lots and been pleased to get back to my car fully charged after customer meetings downtown Toronto.

Personally, for what I need (50km commute), don't need 6.6.

Now, if I was driving the family somewhere (in a larger car obviously ha ha!), I'd want 20kW charger like the Model S dual charger so I could fully recharge after a morning trip and go back out a few hours later on another trip.

SmartElectricDrive, you missed the message: with a mix of CHAdeMO and a 6.6kW charger when CHAdeMO is not available, the i-MiEV could become a reasonable intermediate-distance vehicle. Although L1 or low-level L2 suffices for all of my home charging, it's the venturing away from home that needs the help.

JoeS said:
That 6.6kW charger would have offered a significant distinction from its predecessors to tempt someone like me to perhaps trade in one of my i-MiEVs. As I said elsewhere, without a significant upgrade and all these used i-MiEVs now coming off lease, why buy new?

What I'm disappointed in is that Mitsubishi (unlike Nissan) has not reached out to an experienced user's group such as ours and solicited inputs.

Here in Quebec we have a strong EV community forum (AVEQ) and and with their membership
You can have a substantial discount on a Nissan Leaf (Ends in March but may be extended) .

One member just picked up a 2015 SV (New battery chemistry, Heat pump & Fast charge port)
for less than the price of a new 2014 I Miev .

Mitsubishi better come up with something to stay competitive - price or improvements or both.
And soon

The 6.6 kwh charger would not interest me. There is ZERO public charging infrastructure where I am. I only go where I can within the 60 mile range (less in winter).

Without a bigger battery...and the longer range that goes with that, I think the 6.6 would be a waste.

I think the best thing MM could do is push that range up to 85 or 100 miles, then, maybe consider the 6.6.

This is from a guy that is still charging on 120 volts...

Longer trips utilizing RV parks has been SOP for decades for BEVs. RV campgrounds provide NEMA 14-50 outlets, which means 40A at 240vac is available. There are a number of portable J1772 EVSEs on the market that can feed the 6.6+kW chargers found on the Leaf, Kia Soul EV, BMW i3, etc. All you need to do is put a NEMA 14-50 plug on the end. 6.6kW provides about 25miles/rechargehour or more (depending on how you drive). All this, if J1772 public charging stations are not available.

Combining CHAdeMO with a 6.6kW charger would open up the driving radius to make the i-MiEV suitable for longer trips into areas not covered by CHAdeMO, but certainly still not make the i-MiEV a long-distance car.

fjpod, in support of your argument, the case for charging away from home may be diminishing as the costs to use these public private CHAdeMO stations are increasing. I'm beginning to realize that some of the rants in favor of larger battery packs are now being driven by EV owners who have developed an aversion to obtaining 'fuel' from any public source - perhaps a sorry reminder of gasoline stations or, more likely, not wishing to waste the time looking for a public EVSE, the uncertainties that entails as well as the parking costs in a big-city garage, and also perhaps the time 'wasted' waiting for the car to charge? That last point nowadays rarely applies to me as I usually try to pre-plan another activity during that time. oops, sorry for going OT :oops:

JoeS said:
That 6.6kW charger would have offered a significant distinction from its predecessors to tempt someone like me to perhaps trade in one of my i-MiEVs. As I said elsewhere, without a significant upgrade and all these used i-MiEVs now coming off lease, why buy new?

What I'm disappointed in is that Mitsubishi (unlike Nissan) has not reached out to an experienced user's group such as ours and solicited inputs.

Yeah, when the biggest news in your new model year is that you're restoring an option that you dropped in the previous model, you probably aren't trying very hard.

The 2016 is up on Mitsubishi's website. Looks like the nav unit is a new model.

http://static.mitsubishicars.com/img/vehicle/2016/models/iev/photos/18-d.jpg

PV1, thanks for the post.

I'll be darned: they put a volume control knob on it (instead of pushbuttons). I hope this wasn't done in response to that (expletive deleted) CR 'reviewer' video. Sorry, but by far I would have preferred a 6.6kW charger instead of this fluff.

Back