Canion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something I've noticed on my 2011 C-Zero. If I have my Nexus 5 phone connected to the OEM radio via Bluetooth, CaniOn keeps dropping the connection to the OBDLink LX dongle ("Allo HOUSTON"). The problem seems to go away if I completely remove the pairing of the phone and the radio from both devices. It does not help if I only choose Audio or Telephone from the radio or phone settings. Also it doesn't help if the radio is "turned off" (it actually never really is off if you have the car running).

I don't see why not. I use CaniOn on a Galaxy S Captivate and a Galaxy S3 without issue. Just make sure the adapter is compatible, such as the OBDLink MX or LX. I personally use the OBDLink MX, but I've turned off the Maps and Cockpit (dashboard) views in CaniOn to help with stability.

I use Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with my OBDLink MX and Canion.

In the start it was stable, but Canion has crashed more and more often.
Lately it has been extremely slow to start also (minutes).
It has been unstable and slow to the point where it has been useless.

I see you suggest to turn off Maps and Cockpit.
I did that and turned off GPS also. That seems to help.

Anybody know what is happening when Canion crashes or slow down? And what to do with it?

Something i noticed with the latest canion is that on the trip timer page the wh out resets to Zero every time the phone disconnects and reconnects automatically.

While its fantastic that the auto reconnect is working can you perhaps change the reset logic to keep the last values when auto reconnecting ?

I realize that during the drop out your not amp hour counting so there might be some inaccuracy but it might be better to keep the totals rather then reset them. On a long trip the dropout time would hopefully be small compared to the actual time logging.

Thanks

Don.....

Hello
Martin published today rel 125 on playstore.
If necessary, uninstall the previous one and reinstall this one.
In case of troubles, just rename the folder BT_CAN to something else and restart the application.

The main changes:
correction for batt temps.
no more hello houston.
possibility to use obdlink wifi (not recommended, but works well enough).
small changes to allow using low res devices (typically 2DIN Head Unit).

Xavier

Thanks priusfan. It was obvious, as I told, that temperatures where not correct in the last version. Got now in my Samsung Note 3 the CaniOn125. I'll try it today.

Bought myself iON some weeks ago, now OBDlink is on the way from USA to me… any suggestion on CarStereo with stabile android and not skyhigh price that supports canION and can be integrated in original console?!

priusfan said:
Hello
Martin published today rel 125 on playstore.
If necessary, uninstall the previous one and reinstall this one.
In case of troubles, just rename the folder BT_CAN to something else and restart the application.
I had installed v.125 at the end of January. Today when I went to retrieve my detailed charging data I found that nothing had been saved to the BT_CAN folder since January 31. :evil: I also found that I had somehow inadvertently enabled Airplane Mode, if that makes any difference.

I disabled Airplane Mode on the tablet. Using my Mac and Android File Transfer app, I renamed the Android tablet's existing BT_CAN folder (I simply named it PreviousBT_CAN) and then went out to the car and ran CaniOn with the car operational for a few minutes. Just came back and see that no new BT_CAN folder has been created; however, the data from this latest session did get saved into that renamed folder even though it is no longer called BT_CAN. Just passing this on so others don't freak out like I did.

Dumb question: does Airplane Mode have any influence on CaniOn and could that have been the reason my files didn't get saved?

@Joe You are in front of a traditional android problem: management of files from an external system...

To refresh the directory structure/content, you must restart android...

Personnaly, I use ES_Explorer and share the files...

This is such a wide topic so I have not read everything. Perhaps this was already said somewhere.

In short, so far when I had trouble with starting (connecting) Canion I always deleted the BT_CAN folder. A week ago, I noticed that I just need to try to restart the app many times, if it doesn't happen at first attempt. It connected mostly at the third try or at least the fifth one.

Sorry if I repeated someone's advice from past. I just thought it could be helpful.

JoeS said:
Dumb question: does Airplane Mode have any influence on CaniOn and could that have been the reason my files didn't get saved?

I think in airplane mode, Bluetooth will not work and therefore will not connect to CaniOn...

Airplane mode will turn off all radios so that you can still play games or whatever on the phone, but don't have the issue of it constantly searching for signal (excellent battery runtime extender). This will shut off Bluetooth and Wifi when first enabled, but these can be turned back on while staying in airplane mode. It shouldn't have any effect on CaniOn, since CaniOn turns on bluetooth when it's opened anyway.

As for data not being recorded in 125, is it some file incompatibility between 124 and 125? Renaming the BT_CAN folder to something else will allow CaniOn to recreate the folder and should be able to log data from then on.

I have been using 1.25 for a while now with no real problems i like the auto reconnect logic except for in one area. When you are monitoring on the summary green page if it disconnects and then reconnects the summary values all reset to zero.

I realize this is not easy to fix accurately but i would prefer the counters not reset. Perhaps you could make this an option. Only reset on startup of the app. If you have some dropout for 10-15 seconds then the counters would be slightly off but i think thats better then resetting and loosing the screen data.

What do you think ?

Don......

I have problems with Release 125.

It reconnects all the time - every 5-10 seconds during charging - and then resets all counters.
It is also unstable and sometime I need to remove the ODB adapter to get it connected again.

I think I used Release 123 earier with good (better) results.
How can I revert back to Release 123?

Hello
rel 125 was the most stable release from canion....

Today, Martin published rel 126 with a new screen with batt's temp history.

If canion reconnects, this is only after 8 seconds without activity, so anyway there was nothing to loose because you can consider it was clinically dead...

For me, canion125 works perfectly on my HU,
for Martin also on his Nexus7...

Sometimes, I need to "restart" my Obdlink LX. I do it when canion doesnot start immediately.

Xavier

priusfan said:
Hello
rel 125 was the most stable release from canion....

Today, Martin published rel 126 with a new screen with batt's temp history.

If canion reconnects, this is only after 8 seconds without activity, so anyway there was nothing to loose because you can consider it was clinically dead...

For me, canion125 works perfectly on my HU,
for Martin also on his Nexus7...

Sometimes, I need to "restart" my Obdlink LX. I do it when canion doesnot start immediately.

Xavier

Thanks for information.
Is release 126 available on playstore now?
Batt temp history is very interesting for us that drives in a cold country, even though spring is here now.

How do you restart OBDLink LX. But taking it in and out? Or by pressing a button?

In my opinion Canion was more stable before - but I will test it more and check if OBDLink LX is partly responsible.

My main problem has been during charging because I have used Canion as a benchmark against Kwh wallmeter.
As have been discussed before Canion showed less Ah going into the battery than can be drawn from the battery.
The hypothesis was that this was due to some measurement problems.

But can it be due to the OBDLink LX falling asleep some seconds - and before Canion did not capture the data but still counted , but now Canion resets all data?

Back