Looking for black friday deal on Level 2 EVSE for I-miev?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky49

I take our I=Miev into a Canadian Mitsubisihi dealer for recall work. We live in Canada and my wife owns her Miew outright. She uses it daily. We have been running Mitzi the Miev on the factory level 1 charger since we got her last May. My wife owns the car and put a level 2 charger on her Christmas wish list. So after searching ebay and search tempest I took a look at Lowes and Home Depot websites in Canada and USA. I live in Canada and am looking for a level 2 that might appear on sale in the next few weeks. Any leads would be greatly appreciated, Anyone see any great bargains out there????

Rocky 49

Sorry, don't know of any current specials. Your lowest cost would probably be EVSEUpgrade.com to upgrade your existing L1 EVSE to handle L2 as well as higher-current L1. The $395 Clipper Creek EVSE advertising on this forum seems like a pretty good deal. For very little more money you can get a much higher-power EMW Juicebox that will also satisfy your future EV needs, since higher-power chargers on EVs are becoming the norm and the wimpy 3kW charger on our i-MiEV is already obsolete. I don't know what the import duties and shipping costs to Canada might do to those prices.

I agree that the EVSE Upgrade is your biggest bang for the buck - For less than $300 you'll have a rugged, portable 120/240 unit that you can take with you wherever you go. We had ours upgraded 2 years ago and it's been our primary source of electrons ever since

Our permanently mounted EVSE in the garage is an Open EVSE that I built from scratch (it is also an auto-switching L1/L2 unit) but the Upgraded OEM EVSE is still what charges the car 90% of the time

http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

Don

I have a clipper creak lcs-25 on a dryer plug.

Works great but the remote operation is flaky. I would ask if anyone has found a good l2 evse that works with the remote flawlessly. It would be nice to have bullet proof operation with the remote on l2.

Don......

Costco online has 2 chargers available right now. I think the 25 amp is $550 with shipping. Do you get any provincial rebates in AB?

DonDakin said:
I have a clipper creak lcs-25 on a dryer plug. Works great but the remote operation is flaky. I would ask if anyone has found a good L2 evse that works with the remote flawlessly. It would be nice to have bullet proof operation with the remote on L2...
I second the question, as my L2 SPX continues its unpredictable interaction with the Remote, whereas my L1 Mitsu and L1 Clipper Creek perform flawlessly. I just realized that I've never tried my EVSEUpgraded Mitsu EVSE with the Remote when plugged into 240vac. Not home right now, but I'll try to remember to try that combination next week...

Best bang for your buck is the EVSEUpgrade route.

For the remote, the initial command works perfectly. For example, after a completed charge, activating Defrost from the remote works on the first try every time. If I send another command while the contactor is engaged (charge light lit on EVSE), it usually errors out, taking 3 tries for the change to take. This is on my EVSEUpgraded cord and public Eaton charging stations. Level 1 is perfect.

Back