iMiEV as workhorse

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to everyone for the input, pulled the trigger today.
Picked up a demo '13 today, will be signing paper tomorrow and seeing it next week.
Can't wait.
NB

NoBeard, congratulations! Do let us know if you make any custom racks for the inside and also how the i-MiEV works out for you in practice as a commercial delivery vehicle. Note that in the US there was no 2013 model, only 2012, and now, 2014.

jray3 said:
JoeS said:
... there's a big difference between a hitch tongue load of 200# and the cantilevered load ...
Agreed that the cantilevered load is tougher, but at least our NA market version has the rear bumper brackets to hang off of, which really helps in this case.
This forum has many wonderful technical discussions that help me to understand my car. -- Thank you.

jray3 shows that the NA version allows a much stronger bracket that better supports a Cantilevered Tray, but the load on the rear and the lifting of the front isn't improved with the stronger bracket. My dimensions were taken from my NA version with a longer distance from the back bumper to the rear axle than the non-NA version.

Cantilever Tray:
With a the tray center 18” from the bumper, and the back bumper about two feet from the rear axle, and the front axle about 100’ in front of that, about 142% of the Load in the middle of the tray will rest of the rear tires, while 42% of the Load will pick up the front tires.

Trailer hitch load:
If the ball of the trailer hitch is only 6” from the back bumper, about 130% of the Load on the ball will rest of the rear tires, while 30% of the Load will pick up the front tires.

If the hitch ball supports 200 lbs (90 kg), the front is lightened 60 lbs (27 kg, 30%) and the rear axle supports an additional 260 lbs (27 kg). For the Cantilever tray to add the same static stress only 143 lbs (65 kg, 30"/42"= 71%) could be supported.

Take-a-way: Use only 71% of Ball Load for Cantilever Load

4000cc 2 cycle V8 (a very dirty motor but makes great sound)

12%2520-%25201.jpg

jrCRXHF, how rEVolting! Looks like tie-downs through large eyes attached to the plywood base would work for this load. What in the world uses a 4-litre two-stroke? Outboard motor? Time to switch to electric, perhaps...
Thanks for posting.

Anybody used one of those inflatable roof racks? For occasional carrying of a long stick of lumber, etc.. these seem appealing... (I've found a similar one for half price.)
http://www.maloneautoracks.com/handirack.php

jray3 said:
Anybody used one of those inflatable roof racks? For occasional carrying of a long stick of lumber, etc.. these seem appealing... (I've found a similar one for half price.)
From the description . . . . "Not suitable for use on vehicles that are fitted with side curtain airbags."

Don

Don said:
jray3 said:
From the description . . . . "Not suitable for use on vehicles that are fitted with side curtain airbags."
Don
Indeed, saw that too- the straps could interfere with airbag deployment. In any collision severe enough to activate the side airbags, the rooftop load would likely become a missile and a writeoff anyway, but calibrating the straps to hold a load yet pop loose for the airbag is not an amateur task... One must just judge the relative risk and choose his poison.

misterbleepy said:
I wonder if the straps would melt? I have been in an accident where the main airbag went off, and it melted the sleeves of the polyester fleece jacket I was wearing.

The airbag will deploy much gaster than anything can melt. Don't count on melting to help. 0% chance of that.

Something is wrong if that much heat is released. Were the sleeves melted just a on the surface from a flash of heat (more likely imo) or really melted deep in which case the hands would have been burned also. I would expect lightweight polyester to melt faster than skin burns. Moisture in skin absorbs a lot of heat.

GdB said:
Something is wrong if that much heat is released. Were the sleeves melted just a on the surface from a flash of heat (more likely imo) or really melted deep in which case the hands would have been burned also. I would expect lightweight polyester to melt faster than skin burns. Moisture in skin absorbs a lot of heat.

It must have been quick - my arms were crossed, so completely in the way of the airbag, and it was just the surface of the fleece that was melted. I also lost the exposed hair on my hands & wrists, but my skin wasn't burnt.

I am now planning to buy a "real" roofrack for my car - the airbag issue is a contributing factor, so thanks for pointing that out.

Some of you may remember when I added a stainless marine eye to my hatch. Did the same with my new used i-MiEV. Came in handy the other day when I brought home a 10' copper pipe - just wrapped a towel around it.

MitsiHatchEye.jpg

MittiPipeInside.jpg

MittiPipeOutside.jpg

Had to move an entire household of goods the other day. My wife called the mattresses the car's crash helmet.

MittiMattresses.jpg

I delivered 25 of these storage boxes, and even had room for my Rubbermaid box with spare tires (it was a longer trip). Funny thing was, the person I gave them to could only fit half of them into her big American sedan.

MittiBoxes1.jpg

MittiBoxes2.jpg

MittiBoxes3.jpg

kitkit said:
...Where did you buy the stainless marine eye?
Any chandlery. You have a West Marine store in the City. I think Lowe's and Home Depot also carry a small selection of such stainless hardware items. I'm thinking of adding some more in order to be able to tie down gear in the back.

JoeS - Beautiful knot work on tying the hatch down. You can always tell a sailor when you see them use a length of sheet . . . I mean rope.

Aerowhatt

Use to have a hobie cat 16 and miss it. Many exhilarating memories of single handing it on weekday afternoons.

Back