Which Level 2 charge station to get for home?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewsre

I am considering on getting one of these 3 with Amazon Prime shipping since my MiEV will arrive here on Friday. any suggestions between the AeroVironment, Siemens, and GE listed below?

AeroVironment Residential EV Charger, 15' cable (Level 2 EVSE-RS: 7.2kW, 30A)
$949 - 150 = $799 (coupon code "15FTSAVE" found on slickdeals)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Siemens VC30BLKB 30-Amp Bottom Fed VersiCharge Electric Vehicle Charger
$849
http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-VC30B...ehicle/dp/B0083ZZFEA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

GE WattStation Wall Mount - Level 2 EV Charger - 7.2kW, 30A
$849
http://www.amazon.com/GE-WattStation-Wall-Mount-Charger/dp/B00B4KR18Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_4

I got the Clipper Creek for $600. It works fine with the remote also.

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-6/Level-2-EVSE%2C-Level/Detail.bok

I also got the EVSE upgrade (search forum for this) for about $400.

Matthewsre said:
I am considering on getting one of these 3 with Amazon Prime shipping since my MiEV will arrive here on Friday. any suggestions between the AeroVironment, Siemens, and GE listed below?

AeroVironment Residential EV Charger, 15' cable (Level 2 EVSE-RS: 7.2kW, 30A)
$949 - 150 = $899 (coupon code "15FTSAVE" found on slickdeals)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846
$949 -150 is $799, not $899
Siemens VC30BLKB 30-Amp Bottom Fed VersiCharge Electric Vehicle Charger
$849
http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-VC30B...ehicle/dp/B0083ZZFEA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

GE WattStation Wall Mount - Level 2 EV Charger - 7.2kW, 30A
$849
http://www.amazon.com/GE-WattStation-Wall-Mount-Charger/dp/B00B4KR18Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_4
Every EVSE on your list is way overkill for use on an iMiEV - They will all work OK, but buying a 7.2KW 30 Amp unit for a car which will never draw more than 3.3Kw and 15 Amps probably means you're spending lots more than you need to

My advice would be to get the car first and then determine if you really need Level 2 charging at all. A sizeable percentage of owners never charge with anything other than the 8 amp, 120 volt unit that the car comes with, but if it turns out that one doesn't do what you need, then the first thing I would consider doing is paying $300 to have it upgraded to 120/240 at 12.5 amps - There's about a 95% chance this would be all you'll ever need

If you absolutely want a built-in Level 2 charger for your garage, there are several 20 amp units which will fit your needs for much less money

Don

I've had the GE for over a year now, and had good service from it. It's simple and seemingly reliable. No remote or timer controls.

An advantage to an L2 charger is that I can extend the daily range. For instance, I may use the car in the morning, starting with a full charge. After driving, I return home and charge it for a few hours, and have full range for an afternoon outing also.

Love it and my Miev !

Matthewsre said:

I'd echo what Don said. Take a month or two the to see your pattern of use and see if you really miss being able to charge faster.
We were going to install 240 volts in the garage. Discovered with our pattern of use no need to.

Could've lived with the wimpy 8amp 120v stock charger.
Upgraded it at http://www.evseupgrade.com for $300 and it effectively charges about twice as fast on our regular 120v plug already in the garage.
AND you CAN ... If you later decide you do want or need the even faster charging off a 240 volt plug also use the upgraded stock charger as a 240v 12.5amp fast charger. As Don mentioned our MiEVs won't accept charge faster than 13amps (unless your have the level 3 option...which no one will install at home.)

And remember... Your battery will last longer and age more gracefully if you charge it as slowly as is practical and only as full as needed for your use. No point in zapping it up to fully charged from the halfway mark in a 3 hour 240volt session when you know you're not going to drive more than 10 miles the rest of the day , when you can easily bring it up to full (if you even need full the next day) on a 7 or 8 hour 120v charge.

I purchased an L2 charger after L1 charging for several months. Why?

• - I am leasing my i-MiEV, so I don't want to modify the stock charger.
  • - I want to be able to occasionally do the "drain your battery to 2 bars then fully recharge" as the manual recommends, and do it overnight. L1 won't charge fast enough to do this overnight.
  • - I will get another EV eventually. The charger I got will work with any EV.

Been in the wild again today.

We are used to ask for a power socket and a bathroom wherever we go. No, the restaurant and parking at the highway still dont have it, the power socket at least. But there is an exhibition of houses and they had one. I thought they should have one. They are building modern houses with alternative and zero energy heating and solar power including storage in batteries. That is why I asked in the first place.

"You may use the socket my boyfriend is using for his Tesla" the polite girl at the reception offered us. It is a CEE 400V/32A socket. I had to use both hands to unplug something and stick in my adapter cord. I am glad I have this one in my collection.

Ok, we only need 230V/16A and an i-MiEV with a big red plug does raise eyebrows. It is not the first time I have seen that. With our Voltec and 230V/10A it is only half the fun and double as many cups of coffee.

I really cannot imagine charging L1 but we only have L2 in Europe and we are used to cook our ham and eggs with 3 phase turning so we dont need to turn the pan manually. :mrgreen:

aarond12 said:
I purchased an L2 charger after L1 charging for several months. Why?
I want to be able to occasionally do the "drain your battery to 2 bars then fully recharge" as the manual recommends, and do it overnight. L1 won't charge fast enough to do this overnight.
Any L1 charger running 12 amps or more will put 14KW (14 bars) into your battery in 10 hours or so. For many folks this will be fast enough when compared to the cost of adding a 240 volt outlet in their garage

Don

Don said:
Any L1 charger running 12 amps or more...
Sorry, forgot to specify the stock (unmodified) 8A EVSE. :oops:

For non-Europeans interested to know what a CEE 400V/32A plug looks like:

produktbilder_150_dpi_1081050.jpg

I am leasing my MiEV, so I cannot do the EVSE Upgrade. Rather than pay to have a 240 Volt line added to my garage, I got a 12-amp L1 charger. I got the Leviton evc11-300 charger selling for around $500. I have that in my garage, and I place the original EVSE in my MiEV. I find that charging at 12 amps, it takes about 45 minutes to charge up one bar in the power meter. That suits my needs for now.

I haven't bought one yet largely because I don't need it. But I still can't believe how much they cost for a silly handshaking relay and power cord. I will wait until they are more reasonable.

micmel2 said:
I am leasing my MiEV, so I cannot do the EVSE Upgrade.
If I was leasing, I think I'd do it anyway. Shouldn't be hard at all to swap it with someone for a stock one near the end of the lease . . . . you'd probably even be able to get much of your money back

. . . . . *or* have the folks at EVSE Upgrade put a standard NEMA 5/15 120 volt pigtail on the unit when they do the upgrade - That way they would never know the difference when you turned in the car

Don

Thanks for pointing out my Math error in the original post and I fixed it.

I ended up going with the AeroVironment charge station after seeing that it appears to be fairly widely used by businesses/dealerships (you can see a bunch of images of the same one rebranded for dealerships). I also saw that there was an issue with the GE charger for Leafs (I know, not a big deal for us but I don't like that there is an issue) and the reviews on Amazon make it sound like even the the Siemens has a good warranty, their service is horrible to try and get a hold of people.

I should probably just do the Upgrade to the charger and thank you for pointing out that the charger is actually overkill for our cars, but I don't mind having a little more power in case someone comes over with another EV (since I started hunting I see about 10 leafs a day on the road and a Tesla Model S every other day)

I picked up the Siemens Bottom fed Versicharger from Amazon for $699 ( of course with Prime that meant having it dropped at the door two days later). It was delivered Friday and had the electrician install the 240 outlet on Saturday. They charged $275 for the outlet install, once he had the outlet in, I installed the Siemens unit while he finished up work at the panel. It was all done in less than two hours including two trips he had to make to get the 50amp cable and some bushing he needed.

Though the car would recharge fine over night, I like the idea of having a much faster charge cycle for weekends. Working great so far.

I was looking for some advice on here when deciding which unit to chose, but thus thread was a bit stale. Hope this helps anyone else looking for a good unit.

Also, I like the unit design and delayed charging on the unit instead of having to monkey with that remote. The remote has to be the worst part of the car, though in AZ I am enjoying the pre cooled car in the morning.

I helped a friend to assemble his $299 JuiceBox kit from EMW. The board layout is straightforward, external package is slick and the little data display is very nice. This Saturday he yanked it off the wall by closing the garage door on the drooping cable while charging at 3.3 kW. It survived the four foot fall without a hiccup. Must've been my great soldering job! ;)

http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/product/show/44-emw-juicebox-level-2-15kw-ev-charging-station-kit-or-assembled-unit

Thank you for the reminder on the Juicebox! The price is outstanding, and it has far more features that the others do not offer. It is "future-proof" with the 15kWh capacity.

The caveat on the JuiceBox is you also have to buy the J1772 cord and plug. Twelve footer is $130, and you can choose up to a 25' for $200.

I emailed questions to them, and they answered *very* quickly: the Premium is an outdoor rated unit, and it has data logging via the wireless link. Both of which are good things.

Just bought a Siemens EVSE from Amazon after a lot of indecisiveness... (#1st world nation problems)
Anyways looks good from the reviews I've read and the 3 year warranty sure doesn't hurt.
Also I like the option of easily delaying the charging without the use of the I-remote.
I'm hoping I can setup the delay before plugging it to my car. Doogieca can you confirm if that's something you can do with it ?

Back