Warning Light after hill climb

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iDriver

Has anyone else had the Exclamation Mark warning light come on following a lot of high speed driving and a major hill climb?

This hasn't happened to me before, or since. Basically, I had a very busy day with my Meever.

8am to 8:30am-- Drove to get some coffee and do some city sight seeing: 15 miles round trip, charged at home.
9:30am -- Drove to Mall for phone replacement: 12 miles there, another 12 back, charged while phone was getting worked on at mall.
11am -- Drove home, Charged while eating lunch.
12:30 pm --- (car is nearly fully charged now) Off to the in-laws house: 42 miles doing about 70mph. Last stretch is a 3 mile very steep (might be as much as 6-7%) hill climb, also at 70mph.

Get to top of hill, even road from here on out, take a left... all is good... all is good... Wait, what's that light? It's the "Electric Motor Warning Light" The one that looks like an exclamation point :!: ontop of a car. OH NO!

Car keep going, it's acting like nothing is wrong. I'm not sure what to do, i'm only 1 mile from my in-laws at this point and the car is doing fine. I decide i'm to worried to keep going, so I pull over about 1/2 mile down the road and turn the car off. Ok, count to 20 and turn it back on. Lights gone. All is good again.

What happened? Maybe it's just the i-MiEV version of a temperature warning? Maybe I over did it a bit and the car got a little pissed? Has anyone else had something like this happen? The car is doing just fine since. No warning lights or anything with our normal use.

Ideas? Advice?

JoeS -- High 80's. Maybe 92%, tops.

looking at my driving and charging times, I basically had current running into and out of the battery, non-stop for 5+ hours.

Is it just me, or is the Exclamation Point Over Car warning light our "catch all" trouble light? I looked, and we don't have a Temperature warning light, just this thing.

Never a trouble light, and with heavier duty than that, BUT my heavy summer driving usually includes a CHAdeMO session or two, which allows some battery air conditioning.
I'd log cell temps with Canion on the next such expedition, or figure a way to log coolant loop temps.

I've seen my motor temps hit 130F on warmer days (~85F) driving on main roads.

Did you happen to have CaniOn running (if you even have it)? Temperatures and voltages?

Reading the owners manual, it says between 40 and 45º C in the battery or motor, the turtle light would appear. Not the warning light. So for me that is strange.

Never saw such a thing with mine. Canion showed sometimes values over 40ºC, but we now suppose they were wrong, but never saw the turtle because of the heat.

Nothing like stop for a while like you did. I think most of the times, when it disappears, everything is fine.

Back