Front Hood Support

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacti

I thought I read a post (can't find the post) where they mentioned there was not a front hood support to hold the front hood open. Facing the front of the car with the front hood open if you look at the right side hinge you will notice some holes, to the right and below is a zinc plated steel rod that is snapped into a plastic holder. Remove the rod and place it into the hole that is in the right hinge. This will hold the front hood open.

Cacti

They must not have looked that hard for it. Once I figured out how to open the hood (release is hidden in the passenger side), I spotted the hood prop right away.

You have to watch, though. Don't lift the wiper arms with the hood up. They will hit if the hood's fully open.

Because the hood prop is so incognito, my rod has been bent twice by inconsiderate oafs at car shows- once so bad that it had to be replaced. Thankfully, the rod is weaker than the hinge and hood!
Finding a tiny gas strut to replace the prop rod is on my list of desired enhancements, but pretty far down, because raising the hood is such a rare event. I've done it to jump-start other vehicles and for car shows more than for any other reason.
Time to add an Andersen connector under the bumper to simplify jumper cable usage!

jray3 said:
Because the hood prop is so incognito, my rod has been bent twice by inconsiderate oafs at car shows
What were they doing, just pushing down on the hood? Wouldn't you get the hint if it doesn't move when you try to close it? Then again, "'inconsiderate' oafs". :lol:

I'm glad to hear that the i-MiEV can jump-start other cars. Wouldn't that be good advertising, an EV rescuing a stranded ICE (especially a big SUV)? :lol: :cool:

Let us know if you find a gas strut if you perform the mod.

Yep- "To close hood, push and then push harder."

The mighty MiEV wasn't just cranking some mamby-pamby suburban SUV- it jump-starts my International 6.9 liter diesel with depleted lead-acid batteries and an airlocked fuel injection pump!

(anybody got a coupla spare lithium batteries, group 31 size?)

Back