Mitsubishi Battery Study?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A fellow i-MiEV owner in San Jose (very early adopter - December 2011) also received a call for this 'study'. What's funny, his i-MiEV is very low mileage compared to mine - I don't think he's crossed 10Kmiles yet whereas I'm pushing 29Kmiles. We are dry and salt-free around here.

Maybe age is more interesting then milaege. Maybe that i-MiEV is good to compare... Maybe,maybe, ....

They are trying to find something....

JoeS said:
A fellow i-MiEV owner in San Jose (very early adopter - December 2011) also received a call for this 'study'. What's funny, his i-MiEV is very low mileage compared to mine - I don't think he's crossed 10Kmiles yet whereas I'm pushing 29Kmiles. We are dry and salt-free around here.
If they ask me to study my battery, I will ask if they can give me a report on my battery's health and remaining capacity.

I was asked to participate in the battery study today. I'm to take my i to my nearest Mitsubishi dealer next week. I live in the SF Bay Area away from the salty ocean. I have had the i for 17 months now, and have approximately 16.5K miles. I have had zero problems with this car, so why they asked me is a mystery. I'll keep you all informed.

I also just agreed to participate in the study. It's a 2012 SE purchased in May 2013 and currently has about 9300 miles. I'm in the Honolulu area. Just took it in for my one year maintenance about 3 weeks ago. Original traction battery, no problems other than my aux battery had a lot of corrosion around the terminals and they agreed to replace it. I didn't know about the rental option. I will try to ask about it. Thanks for the suggestion! -John

shifttrans said:
I also just agreed to participate in the study. It's a 2012 SE purchased in May 2013 and currently has about 9300 miles. I'm in the Honolulu area. Just took it in for my one year maintenance about 3 weeks ago. Original traction battery, no problems other than my aux battery had a lot of corrosion around the terminals and they agreed to replace it. I didn't know about the rental option. I will try to ask about it. Thanks for the suggestion! -John

How much was the annual maintenance costs and what did they do? I have to take mine into Cutter Mitsubishi in Aiea in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

olagon said:
shifttrans said:
How much was the annual maintenance costs and what did they do? I have to take mine into Cutter Mitsubishi in Aiea in a couple of weeks. Thanks!
Hi Olin,

Cutter Mitsubishi in Aiea charged me only $100 for the Annual Maintenance. It's $89.95 plus tax and misc. I got an estimate before I brought it in. They checked my front brake pads, tires, and traction battery. They also checked and adjusted fluid levels and adjusted tire pressure. Then they reset my maintenance reminder "light". The also reported corrosion on my Aux battery and will replace that at a later date.

Here are my results:
Front brake pads acceptable range: 4mm - 7mm, My pads: 7mm
Tire tread acceptable range: 4/32" - 7/32", My tires: Front 6/32" and rear 7/32"
Traction Battery: 42.6 Ah (good I guess - I'd like to know what an acceptable range is)

Overall, not that bad of a deal for once a year. They didn't bother with the cabin air filter (I bought a couple of those and will do it myself some day). I'm happy that my brakes are barely worn since I use the regenerative braking a lot. :D Glad my tires are not too worn too since I hear they are not easy to get and somewhat expensive.

Later! -John

Glad my tires are not too worn too since I hear they are not easy to get and somewhat expensive.

Be very glad. I was quoted $150-$200 PER TIRE for new rear tires, mounted and balanced. Four Continentals mounted and balanced was $440. I'm trying to return the rear Continentals since the i-MiEV doesn't like smaller ties and claim warranty on the Dunlops. More info in the wheels and tires thread.

Going for my annual service today, let y'all know.

shifttrans said:
Cutter Mitsubishi in Aiea charged me only $100 for the Annual Maintenance. It's $89.95 plus tax and misc. I got an estimate before I brought it in.

Mahalo John! I bought a couple air filters too. Going to swap that then take my car in next week. That is not bad of a service deal!

So, their experiment took >1 week. I turned the car in on wed and got it back on Thursday next week. Promise was: 3 days max. I was the first to undergo that test in that dealership (Renton, WA).
The service department had nothing concrete to say about the outcomes of the study. Everything "seemed normal".
Through the course of the study I had to call a couple of times to the dealership to check on status. The HQ was not notifying me of delays at all.

Some of the explanations i heard is that the "test does not finish", and that the dealer had to "use a different charger".
When i got my car back, the heater was turned on (it is hot weather here), so i guess that was the method of discharging the battery.

That's all i've got folks.

Back