Advice needed on drawing power from the cigarette lighter

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olagon

Going on a camping trip and wondering if I can leave the car on and run lighting and stuff from an inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter for a few hours at a time. I can charge the car during the day so draining at night won't be a problem.

Thinking about buying this one: http://www.amazon.com/outlets-inverter-adapter-notebook-MRI3011BU/dp/B004MDXS0U

Will probably need about 4 hours of 150 watt draw per night.

Thanks! Olin

I found this and it seems like the Leaf can power this type of inverter: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14034. Also found a more interesting one where you can power a home with your Leaf: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13097.

Don't want to be stranded though. Anyone have any experience with using power from the Miev to power 110V things?

150 watts at 14 volts is almost 11 amps. I don't know if I'd trust a cigarette lighter with that for extended periods. I have an older Black and Decker 750 watt inverter that connects to the battery terminals directly. I take it you plan to run lights from dusk until you go to sleep.

I once used mine to charge eBikes at an event. Each bike pulled about 160 watts. I charged 3 at the most at one time, via alligator clips on the battery posts. The car didn't seem to mind. I doubt you'd use more than a bar a night, if even that, but I'd recommend a more direct connection for the load you're pulling, as long as you're comfortable with electricity.

Remember, you MUST be in READY to act as a power source. You don't want to run the 12 volt battery dead.

PV1 said:
150 watts at 14 volts is almost 11 amps. I don't know if I'd trust a cigarette lighter with that for extended periods. I have an older Black and Decker 750 watt inverter that connects to the battery terminals directly. I take it you plan to run lights from dusk until you go to sleep.

I once used mine to charge eBikes at an event. Each bike pulled about 160 watts. I charged 3 at the most at one time, via alligator clips on the battery posts. The car didn't seem to mind. I doubt you'd use more than a bar a night, if even that, but I'd recommend a more direct connection for the load you're pulling, as long as you're comfortable with electricity.

Remember, you MUST be in READY to act as a power source. You don't want to run the 12 volt battery dead.

Thanks! Did you have any trouble clipping directly to the 12 volt battery or experience any issues? With the car in ready the entire time will anything else power up like fans?

Sounds like running a few lights direct off the battery is ok. I read the lighter can give you 100 watts but you are right that over time that may not be wise.

The inverter I plan to buy has a direct to battery option. I'm assuming this is like jumping a car. Attach the positive first and then the negative.

Other tips for connecting an inverter to our battery for four hours or so?

Thanks!

No issues. I've read on the LEAF forum that they must use chassis ground because the LEAF has a sensor on the battery. We don't have that, so direct to both terminals worked for me. At the peak, the inverter didn't even move the power gauge on the dash, usually the high beams will.

I've yet to have any fans kick on when READY, just the circulation pump runs as it does when charging. If the AC is on, the fan will come on.

I've had some bad luck with smoking 12 volt outlets, luckily none in cars, just portable battery packs. My opinion is that it is too weak of a connection to handle anything more than a laptop.

Other tips, make sure you have long enough cables to reach the ground or bring something to set the inverter on. Keeping the inverter still helps to ensure that the clips don't pop off. If you'd prefer, I think making a setup like on the LEAF forum you linked to where he mounted a connector with a fuse right onto the battery cover would be best. The more solid your connections (and weather/waterproof), the better.

olagon said:
Going on a camping trip and wondering if I can leave the car on and run lighting and stuff from an inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter for a few hours at a time. I can charge the car during the day so draining at night won't be a problem.

Thinking about buying this one: http://www.amazon.com/outlets-inverter-adapter-notebook-MRI3011BU/dp/B004MDXS0U

Will probably need about 4 hours of 150 watt draw per night.

Thanks! Olin

Looks like a nice inverter. Since it’s 300W that’s a possible 25A draw-- so you can easily surge with that at power up. So I wouldn’t run it through your iMiev 12V outlet.

I’d direct connect it to your battery. And make sure you have a good 25-30A connection. And since its spec says: “Low voltage shutdown: DC10V-11V” that might leave you enough juice to start the iMiev if the inverter was accidentally left on.

-Barry

Thanks guys. Super useful advice. Going camping this week and will give it a try!

Back