iMiEV in North Dallas - AC/DC - Black Cars

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DallasiMiEV

I got my iMiEV 3 months ago, and I love it. I got the windows tinted and black leather seats installed at the dealer for no extra charge (no pun intended), and I like the look of it. I've been trying to find unobtrusive yet cool ways to advertise it's all electric status, so I opted for license plate frames. Figuring that wasn't enough, I also recently added this novelty front plate. Makes it look cool, and advertises the fact that its electric. Love it.

12182274156_f196579f37_z.jpg

12182073214_10b3bd3687_z.jpg

Not sure if throwing on a random novelty plate is legal in Texas, as I have a real license plate in back, but front license plates are not required, so I just plan on not getting pulled over.

Inserting photos on this forum ain't fun.. I've only succeeded by adding a link.
Congrats on braving I-35 in an i-MiEV. I usta live around Lewisville and left the rearview mirror perpetually flipped up to avoid all the monster truck headlights blinding me...
From Plugshare it looks like there's a decent start to public EVSE in DFW, with about a dozen ChaDEmo stations scattered along the LBJ loop.

COngrats on the i and good luck winning some converts!

JoeS said:
DallasiMiEV, welcome to the forum. Wow, leather seats - I don't know if anyone else has done this!

flickr has a problem providing the image you linked to... :cry: When you've fixed it, I'll remove this comment.

Thanks for pointing out the image problem! First time using flickr and this forum. Hopefully the image is fixed now...

I got one of the last new 2012 iMiEVs for sale in the US, on Nov 1, 2013, and I believe it was the last available in the Dallas area. I called around to 4 dealerships before I found it. The dealer was so willing to get rid of it (and hit his sales quota) that he came down $3,500 below the $10,000 off price, and threw in free tint and leather seats free. It was nice! Now I need to figure out how to get my tax credit of $7,500... :lol:

jray3 said:
Inserting photos on this forum ain't fun.. I've only succeeded by adding a link.
Congrats on braving I-35 in an i-MiEV. I usta live around Lewisville and left the rearview mirror perpetually flipped up to avoid all the monster truck headlights blinding me...
From Plugshare it looks like there's a decent start to public EVSE in DFW, with about a dozen ChaDEmo stations scattered along the LBJ loop.

COngrats on the i and good luck winning some converts!

Thanks for the welcoming comments. I take the tollway and 121 often, and I've had no issues. Neither are on my commute, so I'm only on the freeways a couple times a week, but it's fun to drive the i fast. I've maxed out at 83 mph on 121 and found the car actually has a governor - I could feel more power, but the motor wouldn't let me go faster. This was just last week. I started at 12 bars, drove ~80mph for 15 miles to a lunch appt I was late for, then only had 4 bars left to drive back to work! So I hyper-miled back to work at 25 mph the whole 15 miles back, and had two bars left when I pulled up to the charging station. Not bad. Took 45 minutes though...

I live very close to my work, and my work has 4 free 220v ChargePoint stations, and they are almost always empty, so I can charge every day if I need to. All my charging is done fast and free. And I park it like in the picture, front facing out, and every single person looks at it walking by. I get a lot of wowed looks. Hopefully Mistubishi comes out with some 2014 models quick so I can actually start referring some people.

I'm currently looking for a decal that says "Back in Black" to put above the front plate. Any other suggestions for how to make my black i-MiEV cool and manly, without being too conspicuous? I'm a minimalist. I am thinking of getting the hubcaps painted black, channeling the Rolling Stones. "I have some hub caps and I want to paint them black"

Thanks!

DallasiMiEV, glad you fixed that flikr problem. Interesting that so many of the last remaining iMiEVs were black. There are some forum members who swear by that (absence of) color, whereas I have difficulty imagining any black vehicle in the summer Texas sun. :shock: Happily, the iMiEV's aircon energy consumption is significantly less than running the heater.

You've already discovered how wonderfully responsive the iMiEV is to hypermiling - aerodynamic drag is THE significant range-robbing variable, followed by running the heater.

I too swear by my color black. It's the biggest redeeming factor for the tiny car in terms of manliness. The summers here are hot regardless, and the tint will help a lot. My last car was a white Benz, and it was a furnace for a few minutes after work, after sitting in the sun all day. I had a small, black Dodge Caliber in Dallas from 2007-2010 with dark-tinted windows, and the heat didn't reduce noticeably when I switched to the white car.

I haven't had a chance to test the AC yet, but good to know it won't suck the battery like the heater. My goodness, the heater is such a drain.

As for hypermiling, I learned as much as I could in the first few weeks, then I realized that with my work (and my free 220v charging station) so close to home, I don't need to worry about maximizing range. Now I drive like a madman, and I love it!

And for anyone interested in seeing the history of EV sales in the US, here's a great website:

http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Only 23 i-MiEVs sold in the US in Nov-Dec 2013, almost definitely because inventory is almost all gone. I'm glad I got mine when I did. Such a practical car, I'm absolutely astounded there are not more on the road.

2013 US Monthly Sales Chart For The Major Plug-In Automakers

2013-sales-chart-final6.png

*Estimated Tesla North America numbers have been included in this graph. Tesla Total Sales Verified Through Sept 2013 (as per Q3 financials) *Fiat 500e estimated based on available data.

Some of the board members have Plasti Dipped their wheels. Here's jafo's in Norway.
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1801
P8170013.JPG

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
I suspect you could pay a Truck Pro or wheel specialty shop to do the work if you wanted to.

I see a line of cars and they're all painted black.

I suppose you could take a knife to remove duplicate logos and trim it down.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DSD5PZ6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&s=

DallasiMiEV said:
I started at 12 bars, drove ~80mph for 15 miles to a lunch appt I was late for, then only had 4 bars left to drive back to work! So I hyper-miled back to work at 25 mph the whole 15 miles back, and had two bars left when I pulled up to the charging station
Congrats! - You've figured out how to drive this car pretty quickly. There really is no such thing as 'range anxiety' so long as you understand the speed/range equation. We can go *almost* anywhere we like, just by using the back roads . . . . or we can zoom (our other cars are both Mazdas ;) ) home as fast as we like
Any other suggestions for how to make my black i-MiEV cool and manly, without being too conspicuous? I'm a minimalist.
You could get your dealer to install these factory side graphics for you
RozDFh.jpg

I think they look AWESOME on a black car!

Don

Thanks Mart and Don, both great suggestions. I'll post the next set of changes I make, though it will probably be a few weeks.

I've seen the pics on other posts in this forum for the dealer graphics on the side, and I agree they look cool. But when I say I'm a minimalist, it's really a euphemism for saying I'm cheap. Dealer graphics are expensive! I've seen someone's post saying they got a custom sign place to make it and install for $100, but I haven't found any in north Dallas yet that can do it for that price. And regardless, it's still a little too big of a graphic for me. I much prefer this dealer graphic, though it's still a little long for me, and I don't really like how it ends in a plug:

12190314295_b46da61073_b.jpg

Or I may install some side molding and put some small graphics on the molding that say "100% ELECTRIC". Here's a pic from the Mistubishi site for their iMiEV side molding, though I'll try to get mine from an after market seller.

12_i_es_BodySideMolding_ACCY_FPO_002.jpg

I also like these side window reflectors, and they're only $80 at http://mparts411.com/accessories/side-window-deflectors-3:

12_i_es_SideWindowDeflectors_ACCY_FPO_002.jpg

DallasiMiEV said:
I am thinking of getting the hubcaps painted black, channeling the Rolling Stones. "I have some hub caps and I want to paint them black"

If you want to switch them alloys to steelies with smooth hubcaps, I'm sure there are several ES owners here who'd be happy to swap with you! Could also change to some grippier tires in the process, if you don't need the LRR range! ;-)

The only wheel covers I've seen that could be compatible with the alloy wheels were either screwed on or used zip-tie/wire tie retainers...

jray3 said:
If you want to switch them alloys to steelies with smooth hubcaps, I'm sure there are several ES owners here who'd be happy to swap with you! Could also change to some grippier tires in the process, if you don't need the LRR range! ;-)
Ha, thanks. I'm not looking to switch wheels, and I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about alloy wheels, other than they were included with my car. And after looking at more pics last night and this morning, I think I prefer the current look, so I doubt I'll do the black paint thing. I'd love to understand more about the benefits of my aluminum wheels, now that you bring it up. I'll go searching through the forum when I have more time. Thanks!

DallasiMiEV said:
I also like these side window reflectors, and they're only $80 at http://mparts411.com/accessories/side-window-deflectors-3:

12_i_es_SideWindowDeflectors_ACCY_FPO_002.jpg
I bought a set of these and love them. In the rain, I can leave the windows slightly open for some ventilation but without rain entering. Leaving the windows slightly open also works well when parking in hot weather because the deflectors would make breaking in through the slightly open windows difficult (well, a thief could just rip a deflector off the car).

They are also being sold by a Mitsubishi dealer on eBay for slightly less but with free shipping.

alohart said:
I bought a set of these and love them. In the rain, I can leave the windows slightly open for some ventilation but without rain entering. Leaving the windows slightly open also works well when parking in hot weather because the deflectors would make breaking in through the slightly open windows difficult (well, a thief could just rip a deflector off the car).
I just bought a set, but from another online retailer. Evidently there are a lot of them out there. Thanks for the tip! I've never really been worried about break-ins because they wouldn't be able to drive very far! I'd get the car back, but it would suck nonetheless.

And good to know about the white i-MiEV in Fort Worth. They'll probably have to come down in price; I got mine new for quite a bit less after figuring in the rebate, with custom tint and leather seats added for free. I'm amazed at the deal I got. Unfortunately, no one really knows how great this car is.

DallasiMiEV said:
I've seen the pics on other posts in this forum for the dealer graphics on the side, and I agree they look cool. But when I say I'm a minimalist, it's really a euphemism for saying I'm cheap. Dealer graphics are expensive! I've seen someone's post saying they got a custom sign place to make it and install for $100, but I haven't found any in north Dallas yet that can do it for that price
I had a very similar set made up by a guy I found on eBay in New York - He and I worked back and forth for a few weeks perfecting the design of them and he sold me my set for even less than the $100, since I helped him design them. He sold several other sets to other people I think for the $100

But, mine are printed (any color you like) on white vinyl, so they only look 'correct' on a white car. He couldn't print them on clear vinyl like the OEM ones where they fade away to the car color . . . . any car color. Mine only fade away to white. For what I paid, I really love them. They've been on the car for more than a year and you have 10X as many people come up and ask you about the car, once they can readily see that it's '100% Electric'

I dunno about having AC/DC prominently displayed on MY car! :shock: That has 'other meanings' you know . . . . :lol:

Don

Don said:
I had a very similar set made up by a guy I found on eBay in New York - He and I worked back and forth for a few weeks perfecting the design of them and he sold me my set for even less than the $100, since I helped him design them. He sold several other sets to other people I think for the $100

But, mine are printed (any color you like) on white vinyl, so they only look 'correct' on a white car. He couldn't print them on clear vinyl like the OEM ones where they fade away to the car color . . . . any car color. Mine only fade away to white. For what I paid, I really love them. They've been on the car for more than a year and you have 10X as many people come up and ask you about the car, once they can readily see that it's '100% Electric'

I dunno about having AC/DC prominently displayed on MY car! :shock: That has 'other meanings' you know . . . . :lol:

Don
I do like the look of your graphics, so I might get something like it eventually. For now, despite the other lesser-known meaning of AC/DC (not that there's anything wrong with that), I'll stick with my plate. I like the first two meanings it immediately conjures up: Electric power, and awesome hard rock metal band known for their high energy, coolness, and lasting forever.

When people first see my car and then they see the plate, I get a lot of knowing smiles as they get the double meaning. I've even had a young boy point with excitement and eagerly show his parents, and I assume only because it looks cool, as I doubt he knows any of the meanings of AC/DC.

Dallas:

I generally do not like all black cars, but your "I" looks cool. The tinted windows do the trick for me. The photos that show another black one with the professional decal look great. I am driving the white/blue I-MiEv with the all electric logon on the side(same version that had been on the Mitsubishi website for a while). Now that I have had the car for the last year, I am so glad that it came with the electric decals. The number of people who ask me about the car is amazing. Every single time I park the car in a shopping center parking lot, if someone walks by they comment on the car(either to me or to a person they are with). Most of them see the decal and understand that this is an all elctric car, which often leads to a short discussion about EV's in general. It's a great opportunity to discuss EV's with ICE owners, who may have misconceptions or misunderstandings about battery operated cars. Also, previously I had posted this, but if a single guy wants to attract women, this car is better than walking a puppy or pushing a baby stroller. I have had(many more times than just once)women shout out to me that they love the car, it's so cute, etc. Too bad that I am married(no, happy that I am , but you get the idea). It's a babe magnet...:)

Lou

gatedad11 said:
Dallas:

I generally do not like all black cars, but your "I" looks cool. The tinted windows do the trick for me. The photos that show another black one with the professional decal look great. I am driving the white/blue I-MiEv with the all electric logon on the side(same version that had been on the Mitsubishi website for a while). Now that I have had the car for the last year, I am so glad that it came with the electric decals. The number of people who ask me about the car is amazing. Every single time I park the car in a shopping center parking lot, if someone walks by they comment on the car(either to me or to a person they are with). Most of them see the decal and understand that this is an all elctric car, which often leads to a short discussion about EV's in general. It's a great opportunity to discuss EV's with ICE owners, who may have misconceptions or misunderstandings about battery operated cars. Also, previously I had posted this, but if a single guy wants to attract women, this car is better than walking a puppy or pushing a baby stroller. I have had(many more times than just once)women shout out to me that they love the car, it's so cute, etc. Too bad that I am married(no, happy that I am , but you get the idea). It's a babe magnet...:)

Lou
Thanks for saying my car looks cool. If you like the tint, you should check out the leather. I personally couldn't do the white/blue mix, though it was seeing a friend of mine driving that same white/blue-painted car with all the decals that got me interested in checking the i out, so I can't disagree with its effectiveness. I still can't convince myself to go with that big of a decal, but I am considering the smaller print side decal that I posted in a pic above.

I do like showing off my car, though it's been too cold lately to have any parking lot conversations. I like the babe-magnet classification, and I've noticed the same. I need to find more places with babes standing around in parking lots! But alas, I'm married as well, so I'll probably stick to work and my kids' school.

Back