Remote control issues

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iDriver

I installed a lvl 2 charger in my garage (GE Wattstation) and I love it. :D However, anytime I turn on my remote, for any reason, the charging station turns off if it's on and on if it's off. :?:

It doesn't matter if I have a timer set or not. Even with no timer set, the remote totally cleared, hitting the power button to turn on the remote automatically causes the L2 charger to flip out. :eek:
If I hook up the provided 110 charging cable, this does not happen. I can push the power button and check the state of my charge all day long. No problem.

What gives? Anyone else having this issue?

We have a Legrand L2 EVSE and use it with the remote all the time. We don't see the issue you are having. Since you don't see it with that very remove and the 110 EVSE, one would have to conclude it was the Wattstation.

With my SPX EVSE, the contactor does indeed drop out and stop charging any time the remote is used for any function, but the SPX restarts within a couple of seconds. I'm sure it's the 'ready signal' from the car that is causing this, and I think that's one risk of the 'smart' or networked EVSE is that those units can be fooled and might not restart automatically every time. I know that the Leaf drivers who got a Blink as part of The EV Project have had fits and often have had to resort to rebooting them by unplugging or throwing a breaker. The Blink chargers had to have a software upgrade right out of the box, and one buddy says that charging was very hit or miss until the wireless communication on the Blink failed completely. Once his Blink was 'dumbed down', charging became reliable!

Mine works fine with one quirk. I can set the start time and how long to charge, and when I hit the "transmit" button the car always stops charging and the remote always says "error". i then wait about 10 seconds and hit "transmit" a second time, and then charging resumes and the correct time limits are observed. I use the Eaton 220V charger, although I had a similar problem with the 110V charger that came with the car.

It's easy to live with. I don't know why the glitch happens, but the second transmit always makes the car charge the way I want it to.

rickmaz, thank you for the workaround for the "Error" bug, as I had given up on the (expletive deleted) Remote because "Error" is all it gave me whenever I transmitted - although it did work for pre-heating the car. When I rushed out a minute ago to try your technique, wouldn't you know - the (expletive deleted) Remote worked "Error"-free for a 0hr ON and 1.0hr OFF. :x

rickmaz, the ten-second wait after an unsuccessful "Error" attempt does indeed work most of the time. Part of my problem is that I misread the instructions and thought that I was supposed to hit the "enable" button within one-second of changing a time. I haven't found a pattern as to what triggers the activation "Error".

jennrod12 said:
Is there a thread about remote functioning? Because I programmed mine to turn off before full, and I don't think it did (well, I know the car was at 100% and I don't think I over estimated the amount of time to set on the remote).
There are already two threads on this topic (this being one of them). It is usually good to continue an existing thread instead of starting a new one.
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=129
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=222

I am still mis-judging the amount of time I think it will take to charge up to 14 bars and sometimes wonder if the fuel gauge is linear or if I'm mis-programming the remote. My current guestimate is 2.5 bars/chargehour at 240vac, and about 0.8bars/chargehour at 120vac.

jennrod12 said:
Joe, did you really turn on the seat heater with your remote?
Yes, the answer is buried in the manual: if the seat heater switch is turned ON, then, when the remote activates the car pre-heat, the seat heater also turns on.

Back