my Miev will not charge

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So...can we assume that it costs about $3500 to replace a battery at this time? What happened to the guestimates of $15,000?

Glad to hear Mitsubishi took good care of your i, sounds like no questions asked. Nissan should take a page from Mitsubishi's Customer Care book. I've been following the battery issue on the Leafs and even after the big test, Nissan still will not acknowledge there is a problem with the batteries in the Nissan Leaf. They have only replaced one battery pack out of all the cars complaining about a loss in range and that battery pack is now also suffering from a loss of range. Nissan Leaf owners are starting to bail, trading in their cars for other electrics, trading in for a leased Leaf so the battery issue becomes Nissan's problem or just getting out all together. What a shame, Nissan should be taking better care of their customers than this.

latest news: nissan will BUY BACK some range-depleted Leaf's. Good move Nissan!
I was planning to buy Leaf, but in my country Leaf will be available from 2013 (hope new model) - so I bought Peugeot iOn (rebadged iMIEV) - and I'm happy with it :) in one month of driving I made 2000km (around 1200 miles).

http://www.kpho.com/story/19651301/...ast-two-nissan-leafs-under-arizonas-lemon-law

It seems to be two so far and the owners had to go through the Arizona Lemon Law to accomplish the buy back. This isn't Nissan being magnanomous and coming to terms with the problem. Reading further in the Leaf forum on this topic, there is rumors Nissan may be pulling the Leaf from the Southwest. There are 400 Leafs in that region, this could be a really big hit for Nissan.

CORRECTION: I was misinformed by the service director. They did not replace the battery pack, only the charger. The service rep who actually oversaw the work called to follow up, to see if I were pleased with their service. He then told me that only the charger was replaced. That should worry me but the range, if anything, has improved. So I guess these lithium ion pack can survive long deep discharge. I'll report the performance in a month from now.

We've noticed a couple times the car not charging ... but then it would eventually come around. But just the other day my wife go (I've yet to read it) a recall notice on a battery sensor. I said, "Are you sure it wasn't the airbag sensor", which I had heard about. No, she insisted it was some kind of battery sensor. I've not found any information online about it and will have to find the notice we got to have a look.

I just looked it up by my VIN:

Recall Results:Open Recall FoundManufacturer recall/service bulletin issued
Recall # C1204E
REPROGRAM THE CMU (CELL MONITORING UNIT) ON IMIEV

I wonder if this is the root of some of the chargine problems some of us have had.

I don't think so

Several of us have already had the CMU reprogramming done - It has it's own thread here

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=686

Don

Thank you for this discussion and feedback on the topic. I'm a potential iMIEV buyer in the Orange County, California, area and I appreciate the updates and follow-through posted on this topic. It is good to know that Mitsubishi's tech found the cause of the problem, followed up with the owner, clarified the issue, and that Mitsubishi then stood by its warranty and fixed the problem.

When getting your car back from having service or repair,
don't you get paperwork that details exactly what was done,
and how much each part "cost", and labor for each step?

Things like firmware updates should show up there.

If not, you could ask for such paperwork. :D

vwelham said:
Thank you for this discussion and feedback on the topic. I'm a potential iMIEV buyer in the Orange County, California, area and I appreciate the updates and follow-through posted on this topic. It is good to know that Mitsubishi's tech found the cause of the problem, followed up with the owner, clarified the issue, and that Mitsubishi then stood by its warranty and fixed the problem.

If you get the i soon, GaryGid is looking for an i in the So Cal area to test our MiEVCan project out on. Its all very harmless monitoring of the OBDII port to get a few more metrics out of the car than the instruments are giving us.

Last night I drove about 90 Km and ran the battery down to 2 bars before getting home.

Plugged in L1 and went to sleep.

Bad surprise in the moring. Car did not charge at all.

Tried all the usual tricks on 3 different EVSE but no go. Had to drive to Mitsubishi this morning and drop the car off. Luckily it's only about 1 Km away....

~15500 Km without a glitch and this morning pretty much inop.....

I'll keep you all up to date.

I't only been a few hours and I miss the car already :cry:

Don.....

Hi Sandange,

Me to but I would guess the charger is bad or a bad cell in the battery or some other component of the charging system.

The car runs fine but I only have 15 KM RR and 2 bars so I'm guessing the starter battery is fine also. I mean all the 12 V stuff is OK.

I am thinking that if it will take a week to repair that I would ask Mutsubishi to call a CAA truck with quick charge and bring the battery up to 50 % while they wait for parts if they need it.

I'll post more when I get some details.....

Don.......

What are all the usual tricks on three different EVSEs? Are you sure your remote timer somehow didn't get accidentally set? Last weekend, my wife had a panic attack when she was outside the return range of our Meepster and the darned thing wouldn't take a charge. She plugged in at two different public charging stations and neither would work. Kept turning on for 5-10 seconds and then would click off.

Turns out, I had let my one-year-old daughter play with my keys to keep herself occupied while we were shopping earlier in the day. She was pushing buttons and I caught her putting the remote in her mouth a couple times. She must have somehow activated the charging timer. So, that night when my wife was trying to manually charge, it would keep going into standby mode. She called me all frantic. Once I remembered about my daughter playing with the remote, I told her to check it. She cleared out/reset the timer and the Meepster started charging just fine.

It's good to mention the remote. I did check that out. I know about the charge timer.
I believe it's also reset if you start the car which I did you can try that out.

It really looks like something else drove to the dealer and tried with the eaton l2 that I have used before and still a no go.

I hope that can fix it next week.

Don......

For the first time since I got the car earlier this year the L1 charger didn't charge. It's an upgraded EVSE charger. I plugged it in and in an hour went to grab something from the car and noticed it wasn't charging. The green light on the charger was still on. I have it plugged into a ThinkEco Modlet (to track energy...also use a TED 5000). The Modlet gets hot and I've been worried about that so I unplugged it. The Modlet is supposed to handle the L1 amperage. Anyway, after the Modlet was removed charging worked again. If this happens again, I'll try to isolate the issue.

I think many of us have experienced an occasional failure to charge using the OEM EVSE - Pulling out the charge handle and reinserting it fully always solves the problem. It's happened to us two or three times over the past year

Not sure what causes it, but I make a point of checking to see if the charge light is still on several minutes after I begin charging - It would be a pain to go out expecting a fully charged car only to see it hasn't charged at all

Don

olagon said:
...I have it plugged into a ThinkEco Modlet (to track energy...also use a TED 5000). The Modlet gets hot...
The Modlet has a cutesy website http://themodlet.com/ but I could not readily find its specifications. :evil: I would not use it with our EVSEUpgraded EVSE, as any properly-sized wire/connector/appliance should barely get warm when running at 12A. Hot is not good.

Back