Reactions from bystanders

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friends said the iMiEV looked kind of Gay when I showed them the car, but loved the fast take off and no fuel !

So I thought maybe a big stronger Straighter looking car, the Holden / Chevy Volt.

Then I saw this ad from a twitter posting about gay marriage disscussion.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m57ps1R5Hr1r4p2f7o1_1280.jpg

Oh stuff it, who cares what people think, I like the iMiEV/ Holden Volt car as it is, don't care if it seems gay / glbt looking or straight looking, as long as it saves fuel ...

The imiev for town trips, Holden Volt for the longer trips maybe ?

I work at Ohio University in Athens, OH. I bought "Zeus" back on May 18th. I got prior authorization from the Director of Facilities and Parking services here at OU to make sure it was ok that I plug in behind the bldg next door to mine, to a standard 110 outdoor outlet, while I'm at work.

Needless to say, it has been the talk of the campus. I've had one note that was left under my windshield wiper, written on the school newspaper that said, "MAD PROPS FOR THE CAR!" I take this as a compliment.

However, believe it or not, in June, after having been plugging in for several weeks, a university police officer called me to inform me that what I was doing was "theft of service", and that I was "stealing from the university". He informed me that it was, "the same as if I was bringing my trash from home and throwing it in the dumpster, that it was illegal and against the law." He went further on to tell me that he "pays taxes and his taxes are paying for this state funded university, and that in turn, he was paying for me to charge my car here." He said, "The university's not going to pay for my gas, so why should they pay for you to charge your car?"

I tried to explain to him in a very polite way that I wasn't stealing, that I did have prior approval to plug in, and that my biweekly payroll deduction out of my personal paycheck to the university for a scholarship I started here, was far above and beyond the $1.82 I was using to charge my car on a weekly basis (7kWh/day x $0.052/kWh x 5 days/wk).

I've had other students and coworkers leave very anonymous, unpleasant, and even threatening notes on my car with one in particular that reads, "Students should not have to pay for you to charge your car here. If I see it plugged in again, I will personally unplug it! Charge your car at home!" The very next day, someone unplugged Zeus and left the charge cord laying on the ground. (btw, I do have a Level 2 charging station that I installed at home myself).

After reporting the office officer's harrassing phone call to his police captain, after reporting all of the threatening and harassing notes to Parking Services & Parking Services, someone was gracious enough to "key", not only the hood of my brand new car, but dug through the bumper, clear down to the black plastic. I did file a police report for it, as I'm sure it will cost well above the $500 deductible on my insurance. I was sent a loud & clear message that some people here at OU are NOT happy about me plugging in here, despite the fact that I am paying for it.

Parking Services has since posted a permanent sign on the wall where I park, for my parking space, and created a whole new policy for electric car vehicle registration and parking procedures for on campus.

Facililties is currently working on seeking funding to get Level 2 Charging Stations installed on campus....not only because I am the first electric car on campus, but because I am helping them to begin to fulfill Benchmark #16 of the University's Sustainability Plan.

Needless to say, the reactions and responses from the general public have been much more positive and constructive. It has been a great opportunity for sharing info about my car, clarification that it is not a hybrid, and demystifying the stereotypical knee-jerk reaction that you cant go very far. When in fact, I've been driving 60.2 miles round trip every day to my first job, and 18 miles round trip from home to work at my 2nd job in another state.

That is really awful about the damage to your car. I had a suspsicion that we might start getting flak for having the electric car. A lot of people are not very happy about them, because its a reminder that things are changing and we can't drive whatever we want like big honking pick up trucks just to carry a bag of groceries. I know personally of people who think global warming is a hoax put on by Barac Obama himself! Amazing!

I'm working with the garage where I park to see if they will let me plug in but I won't do it without their permission. Another thing, I work for the Federal Government and if the FPS (Federal Protection Services) saw a chord hanging outside of a car going to an outlet, they'd probably think the worse and call a 'Code Red'. If I do get permission, I'm sure I'll see similiar notes as well.

Thanks for fighting the good fight and sorry about the damage to your car.

iMiEVNZ7 said:
My friends said the iMiEV looked kind of Gay when I showed them the car, but loved the fast take off and no fuel !

I try not to read too much into these kind of comments. But, as a gay person I have to wonder what is so 'gay' about this car that would cause heterosexual persons to question their orientation by driving it?

My i is all black with dark tinted windows and I think it looks very bad-azz. Like an i with an attitude.

Mazda Miatas have been 'Gay' cars to some folks ever since they came out in 1990 - My i feels right at home . . . . it's parked directly behind my Miata in the garage :lol:

Don

SirCaptainAhab, I am saddened by what was done to your car and the hassles you have gone through - and this is on a university campus, no less! Coincidence that Ohio is the second-most polluting electricity-generating state in the US (after Kentucky)? That 52cents/kWh cost seems high. All the best to you.

As a former Miata driver I'll second that, Don. There's a great old Car Talk segment where the caller was trying to cope with a monster-truck-driving political opponent in a local Texas government race who was impuning his Miata manhood.
My i likes parking in the shade from our F250 Diesel MegaCab, but feels much prouder now that it's wearing a 2" receiver hitch. I hope i's ego doesn't get too inflated when I find the perfect pair of chrome ball bearings to hang from the hitch...(and no, the pickup does not wear a pair, like so many jacked up shiny trucks around here do)... :lol:

MLucas, I hope you don't hesitate to show that badazz attitude at red lights. I'd love to install a rear-quarter camera to catch the expressions of those surprised drivers. "Sleeper" cars are so much fun. Last night I rode with an octagenarian LEAF owner who drives 55 on the highway, but doesn't hesitate to plant the go pedal for a strategic lane change. That really befuddles the sheeple in other lanes...

Hi, also sad that someone would do that to the car, so I hope that is sorted ok somehow.

I would recommend having a GSM camera installed if the car is in an out of the public area so it doesn't trip off all the time, but if in a public area, maybe you could suggest to the Uni that a security camera be fitted covering the parking area as a health and safety suggestion ?.

Failing that a suggestion to use a inductive pad might work. Argh I have it, put a tiny thin film solar panel on the roof and it will look like all the power is being produced by the car and feeding the uni instead, put a sticker on the car to that effect. :D

Hi Guys,
Re the looks gay comment from my friends, They meant the car looked not as tough as a Hilux or V8 Holden. Mind you, even had the odd comment from a co worker that only gay people owned a Holden ! I wondered how best to reply to that one !. I think it was more that he liked Fords...

Re being Gay looking though, I don't think what car one drives indicates ones sexuality, it can't be that when I step out of the Hilux I am more manly or straight acting than driving the V8 or that in the imiev I am suddenly are more um, not straight, surely .?.

Naw, it is all silly talk, I am sure my friends simply mean the Imiev car looks less tough than say a bigger car, that is all,.

Besides, Lady Gaga agrees, people are born this way, so a car won't make them gay or straight..Which is great as I like people the way they are...

Now if we could only get some more range on the imiev, :D

jray3 said:
MLucas, I hope you don't hesitate to show that badazz attitude at red lights. I'd love to install a rear-quarter camera to catch the expressions of those surprised drivers. "Sleeper" cars are so much fun. Last night I rode with an octagenarian LEAF owner who drives 55 on the highway, but doesn't hesitate to plant the go pedal for a strategic lane change. That really befuddles the sheeple in other lanes...

This past weekend, I was at a light sitting next to a Cadillac SRX (brand new). As I left the light, I could hear his engine roaring and the transmission changing the gears. I stepped on the Amp pedal and left him the dust. The look of disgust on his face that his $45K dollar Cadillac just got stomped on by this little EV was priceless.

What a difference an answer makes! It's been a month or so now that I have changed my response to the bystander's question "How far can it go?"

From "EPA says 62 miles on a charge" or "anywhere between 50 and 100 miles on a charge, depending on how you drive"

To "A couple of hundred miles a day"

The former responses invariable met with a squirm and maybe a perfunctory question or two, whereas the latter is usually an upbeat "oh, really?!" and then they want to know more…

The ice has been broken, and people are far more receptive to further discussion as I've piqued their interest. I then elaborate and discuss opportunity charging and there's no problem with them grasping that concept and accepting it, and then we go on as I point out all the iMiEV's cool features...

Marketeers, take note.

MLucas said:
This past weekend, I was at a light sitting next to a Cadillac SRX (brand new). As I left the light, I could hear his engine roaring and the transmission changing the gears. I stepped on the Amp pedal and left him the dust. The look of disgust on his face that his $45K dollar Cadillac just got stomped on by this little EV was priceless.

Just been driving mine a week, and I've already had this experience a couple of times. In both cases, I needed to change lanes after clearing the intersection, and at first the hulking SUV next to me was revving up to pace me, keeping me in my lane (do tiny cars just bring out the bully?). Press on the juice, and with no drama just whoosh ahead and leave the lunk looking puzzled in my rearview mirror.

I generally play nice, though - I don't imagine lots of putting your foot into it is good for the battery (i.e., degrading capacity, not just burning range).

I have a rather large bumper sticker with the word "ohm" on the back of the car, and a 3x5 card in the rear side quarter window that explains that this is an electric car with some yada yada details.

Drove the dogs to Kit Carson Park for a walk today. On returning to the car, our way was briefly blocked by a car backing out next to ours. On the other side of our car, a family was getting out of a Ford Expedition with Tennessee plates. I overheard the following from the family as I waited to approach our car.

Teenage Daughter: "Ohm. O-H-M. That just makes no sense. Why would someone put that on their car?"
Mother (reading 3x5 card): "It says here this car is 100% electric."
Father (loudly): "F***ING LIBERAL!"

At that, I used the key remote to unlock the car, the sound of which surprised the mother. As I loaded the dogs, the father looked over his shoulder at me, his face bright bright red.

Like rest of you, lots of reactions.
Live in a very so-to-speak "progressive" town.
Every third Third or fourth car in a parking lot is a Prius. A fair sprinkling of smartcars.
Never seen a Hummer here. Few large SUVs.

Local power company buys back any excess PV you generate on your house at FULL retail price.

So all positive responses..... Right up to "where can I buy one?"

Even had one local EV guru recognize it as MiEV.

I need a one page handout sheet of basic FAQ full curious onlookers. Anyone do that yet? Or I'll make one.

Alex

Had an opportunity recently to pick up a person who had obviously run out or gas (gas can in hand). We drove to a nearby gas station and I told him I would give him a lift back to his car. When he got back in the i-miev after getting gas he commented about the quietness of the engine. At that point I told him it was electric and the questions started.

2012, ES, silver with QC. Owned since Feb. 2013

MLucas said:

Being a brand new iMiEV owner, I am very apprehensive of doing anything that may somehow injure or degrade my i in any way. So, in the four days that I have owned mine, the go pedal has been babied almost to the point of ridiculousness. There has been one time so far that I've had to give it a little extra juice to merge into traffic from a dead stop. And even then, I was driving in Eco mode and did not stomp on the pedal. I was satisfied with my little i's ability to get up and moving.

However, I have not yet had or taken the opportunity to put her into drive and floor the go pedal. Like I said, I'm afraid of causing any harm to my new little toy or degrading its abilities in any way. Over the weekend, there were a couple instances where I was sitting first in line at a red light next to an obviously self-important snot with disdain for any vehicle smaller than his. One light it was a Mustang, and the other light it was some honking SUV of one make or another. I'll admit, I imagined how satisfying it would be if my iMiEV were capable of being floored and leaving those punks in a cloud of electrons behind me. Of course, I did no such thing, but I did wonder what she was capable of.

Okay, I have to ask. I sounds like a few of you have taken the opportunity to surprise some folks with our iMiEV's unexpected pep. I was wondering if those who have punched the go pedal cold expound upon our cars' abilities in such situations? The last thing I'd want to do is finally give in to my temptation only to be ridiculed and embarrassed for my car's poor performance. I'd like to know what she can do without risking damage trying to find out!

I wouldn't hesitate to use the go button when you need to. The iMiev picks up very well compared to most large sedans and SUVs, acceleration is the result of torque over weight after all. Many determined ICE drivers have the capability to beat the iMievs acceleration, it is catching them unaware that is satisfying.

My first day with the iMiev saw me running its battery almost fully empty to get home. When it made it without a problem despite a long highway journey and such stress on the battery I am more than happy with the robustness of this fun little car.

RobbW, as long as you don't need to drive to maximize your trip mileage (which, you'll find, is most of the time) - put her into either D or B and go ahead and punch the go-pedal. Your iMiEV will silently show its tail to your unsuspecting neighbors.

While I appreciate the advice, Joe, I'm still trying to work past the ICE driver inside of me that always tried to drive to conserve gas. Constantly stomping on my iMiEV's go pedal just feels wrong for some reason.

Back