Emissions measurement - a non-hippy view

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don said:
Hopefully, your oven is well insulated and is keeping most of it's heat inside, cooking something.
Actually I meant oven together with stove plates. Stove plates have half of the total power and they are not insulated.

Cars have rather lousy insulation. Second to none. Metal body and glass windows let heat through pretty well so heat leaves the cabin quickly even if there was no ventilation, if ambient temperature is below -20 Celsius. Together with ventilation it should be no problem to draw away some tens of kWh heating power. And as we all know, it is not possible to direct all heat into cabin even if we want it, because exhaust gases are poisoneus and they can't be let into cabin, but they carry away part of the heat even if the engine was inside the cabin.
In wintertime there are many cold days here when even ICE cars heaters power is insufficient at maximum position. EV-s are practically unusable then and they should be in warm garage or constantly connected with charger that time. Several iMievs here, that were left out without connecting to the charger got frost damage and refused to start even after ambient temperature rised near to zero. They needed to be towed into warm garage and to be heated up before they started.

Back